Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brush Sweep with Superior 2.0 or BFD 2.0

Good Evening All:

I'm making the adventure into using the software samplers Superior 2.0 and BFD 2 with my TD 20. Would any one out there know how to set it up to make an effective brush sweeping sound?

As far as I can tell I would need to measure constant pressure but I'm not sure how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Robb the drummer

Do you know that a TD-12/20 transmits a special note number for brush sweep? (MIDI note number 23 by default, but can be changed 0-127).

See INST, CONTROL (F3), BR MIDI (F5). But I don't know what you can do with it in VST.

Bruce

Comment

Sort of related: I noticed TD-10's manual says brush sweep can't be recorded in TD-10's sequencer. I'm wondering if it'll transmits any MIDI message... I don't have a MIDI cable and software to try out.
      My compact kit.

Comment

With BFD you have to use samples which have brush articulations, like those in the Jazz and Funk expansion pack or in our upcoming Jim Scott pack which includes a brush and a blast sticks kit... including the cowbell with brush.

Cheers,

Rail
        Platinum Samples
        www.platinumsamples.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much for the input guys! I'm sorry for the delay in reply, I broke my hand on a piece of steel pipe a few weeks ago so have completely out of the loop.

I know there are some great samples of sweeps etc. out there I was just wondering if there was a simple way to trigger (and monitor) them while recording into Logic or Cubase. I don't think there is but if someone ever figures it out I'd love to know.

Also, is it better to use an Alesis I/O through an interface or record the midi from the TD20?

Thanks again!
          Cheers,

Robb

Comment

Here is the way that works really well for me. I assign the same brush sound from BFD's Jazz N Funk to two snare slots. Most programs will require two slots because a sweep will stop when you trigger a hit. You use one slot to trigger the sweeps with one hand while playing a pattern with the other. The pattern is played by a different slot and will not shut off the sweep in the other! This keeps the sweep moving. I do this on a Zendrum, but the concept can be applied to any electonic drum. The only thing that might need to happen is a custom note map just for brushes.

John

Comment

Interesting John... Are you saying would be possible swirl and sweep in Alesis i/o or other "minor" roland modules besides td-12 and td-20 with that trick? Would be great.

Also i wonder about that special note number for brush sweep, Roland TD-12/20 transmits... Can anybody explain it?

Cheers

Comment

My example doesn't involve sweeping the actual drum. I don't think that the module sends out a seperate MIDI note for the swirl. Remeber that playing brushes is an art form.

What I'm talking about is a way to make it sound very close. Think of it as a software work around.

Tell you what. Give me a couple of days and I'll post a video. It may be hard to understand without seeing it.

John

Comment

In order to further explain the way that I handle brush grooves with BFD2, I have made a little video called BFD2 Brushes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnemrich

It is easier to see what I am talking about.

Playing sweeping motions on a Vdrum set doesn't translate to a VST instrument like BFD2. This concept makes it at least workable with great sound quality when triggering BFD2, or any other VST. You can use this for recording MIDI with software.

Bottom line is this. If I get a call for real brushes, I use real brushes!

Hope this helps,
                  John

Comment

Wow! Excellent video John : ) A sincere Thank You for explaining this.

Cheers,
                    Robb

Comment

Thnak you so very much for the video John. Great workaround ! I had done this with a snare load into snr2 with snares off and than switch to the main snare . btut did not think about the brushes .. nice :-)

Pim
                      Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Working...
                      X