Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Vdrums though Ezplayer

Hi All,

I've searched the forum for a thread with the above but unfortunately to no avail.

I'm looking to simply record what I'm playing on the TD-20 that's triggering the Superior Drummer and Ezplayer - and stupidly I don't know how. I've tried doing it the same way as you'd record a sampler pattern in Ezplayer, but it seems not to work.

Any advice intelligenza?
    Check us out! www.myspace.com/therenocorradopimps

anybody?

Comment

Is there anybody out there?

Comment

You need something to record with. I don't recall if Toontrack's standalone player was further developed to "hook into" something else, Cubase for example. I don't believe so but I haven't looked that carefully.

Two freebies here that get referenced are Reaper and Audigy (I think). (As noted below, AuDACITY is the software, Audigy is the soundcard--remind me to stop helping).

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        Last edited by grog; 01-14-09, 01:40 PM.
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Hey Andy give yourself a break man!
          You can't do everything in a week
          Relax and start exploring your new kit,read the manual ,browse this forum...
          Just a friendly advice...
          Ex E-kits:
          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
          current E-kit
          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
            Two freebies here that get referenced are Reaper and Audigy (I think).
            You meant Audacity. Audigy is a sound card.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              You meant Audacity. Audigy is a sound card.

Bruce
              yeah grog Bruce is right so next time please UTFSE
              Ex E-kits:
              ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
              ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
              current E-kit
              ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
              " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

I got the Au part right. Close enough so that our new member could UTFSE hisself.

At the very least, we answered the question: no, you can't do that. Actually, there is. Run the headphones out from the PC into the Mic (or the other basic input). Of course the problem with that is you can't hear yourself play.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help, I think the band are going to chip in and get cubase 4 or 4.5 (try and find a buddy with a student card so we get the discount).

But eveything is right on cue at the moment with what I wanted to achieve with this - better than I ever expected and I'm only a week in so far.

I'll post a link to my 'myspace' page when I get a mixer to record the sound so you can tell me what you think.

Thanks again, you don't realise how valuable your advice is to newbies like myself. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Plenty of people here use Cubase and various VST plugins for it. Then again, there's also plenty of people who use Reaper and Audacity (the free angle). Both groups can answer questions (I'm a Cubase user for example).

Comment

Grog,

Spoke to a guy I know who sells Cubase - he thought that the free Cubase download would be good enough for what we want (were going VST drums SD2.0 & audio in for the guitars and vocals).

I thought of going for the top version but realise that most of the instrument samples wouldn't be needed.

What's the benefit of the Cubase version that hasn't got the instruments (Studio 4.5) against the free download Cubase?

(I wrote cubase a lot there..cubase, cubase, cubase)

Comment

Short answer: I have no idea.

What's this "free" version he's talking about? Do you have a specific name or download link? Right now I'm at http://www.cubasefreedownload.com/ and unless I'm totally missing it, all these downloads are patches/updates or demo versions with serious limitations on what they do.

I clicked on the chart that compared features (I use Cubase SX 3, our base player has Cubase 4) and again, didn't see anything that suggested a really "free" version.

You're right, given what you want to do, Cubase is overkill. Again, I'd suggest you poke around in here for information on Reaper and Audacity, they might do exactly what you want and are free.

But if you can point me to this mysterious "free" Cubase download, I'll look at it and see if it'll do.

Comment

http://www.steinberg.net/en/home/search.html - put in 'free download' in the search and it'll give you a link to a free trial.

That's the only one I could see, Sequel 2 which is the entry level cubase.

Ahhh, pretty basic. He told me to have a go at that because it was quite easy to use and then have a look at something a bit more extensive.

What's your advice Grog?

Comment

It doesn't appear that Sequel 2 is for you. Why? No VST plug-in capability. Look here:

http://forum.sequel-music.net/viewtopic.php?t=492

Read the second post, it's from a Steinberg Sequel person who emphatically says no VST capabilities.

So, you're once again back to Square One as it is. Go to that link I listed above and look at the compatibility chart. There's a good chance you can get an older version of Cubase somewhere, or even a "lesser" version of 4. I mean you don't need unlimited tracks and crap like that. One of the 3 versions might work. In fact, I'd say that either Cubase SE3 or SL3 would be fine for your purposes

Also check Craigslist although most people there are selling bootleg versions.

And there's always that Reaper/Audacity suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                              It doesn't appear that Sequel 2 is for you. Why? No VST plug-in capability. Look here:

http://forum.sequel-music.net/viewtopic.php?t=492

Read the second post, it's from a Steinberg Sequel person who emphatically says no VST capabilities.

So, you're once again back to Square One as it is. Go to that link I listed above and look at the compatibility chart. There's a good chance you can get an older version of Cubase somewhere, or even a "lesser" version of 4. I mean you don't need unlimited tracks and crap like that. One of the 3 versions might work. In fact, I'd say that either Cubase SE3 or SL3 would be fine for your purposes

Also check Craigslist although most people there are selling bootleg versions.

And there's always that Reaper/Audacity suggestion.

Thank god one of us has got a bit of intelligence!

I can get a proper version of Studio 4 (i think) for £128.00 (about $250.00) - might just take the plunge the other guys ar chipping in too, so not so bad.

I'll take a look at the compatibility chart

Oh, another couple of points Grog (seeing as you're such a giving person - and damn good looking if you don't mind me saying so - grovel grovel)....

When you plug superior drummer into Cubase (I assume you search for it somewhere), do you then need to load up your saved drum sound (the .tts file extension) and does cubase automatically drop each midi signal into the channels ready to record?

Second point, seeing as the SD midi format is .tts (well it's the format which my newly created drum sound is) does Cubase then convert the signal to the midi format of it's choice and then you convert the recording to a format to burn on to CD or upload? (such as .wav, MP3 or CDA)
                              Last edited by andygee70; 01-15-09, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X