Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke Cymbal AD on TD-9

Good Afternoon,

Did anyone successfully choked a cymbal in Addictive Drums using a TD-9? I know there is a lot of threads about that with a mention that I'm using that module and it should work with TD-9 but it's not (at least for me). I'm using MIDI mapper from chaoticbox and I'm able to make everything work (including Hi-Hat) but when I choke a cymbal, every instruments are being triggered on the kit.

So if somebody here was able to make a cymbal choke in Addictive Drums using a TD-9 module and MIDI mapper, please let me know because I'm short of solution.

Thank you

Francis

I have no experience with the hardware or software you're using. But the MIDI standard has both key aftertouch (a.k.a. polyphonic pressure) and channel aftertouch (i.e. all keys): The difference between channel aftertouch and polyphonic aftertouch

Roland cymbals/modules use key aftertouch to transmit chokes via MIDI. It sounds to me that possibly your choke is getting mapped to the "wrong type of aftertouch" (All Together!)

Bruce

Comment

So if I understand well, the MIDI mapper should be configured for cymbal choke as the following screenshot.

Last edited by Francis_Beland; 03-08-09, 04:44 PM.

Comment

There's information about cymbal chokes in Addictive Drums in the five posts following this one: TD20 drum map for Addictive Drums ?

Bruce

Comment

I'm the happiest guy right now. I've never been able to choke cymbal with AD. The only thing I've been able to do was to fire all triggers. Tonight, I was trying for a 100th time to choke and by looking randomly on the net, I noticed that Chaotic Box did release a version 1.2.1 of their really good Edrum Midi mapper. Here's the version history :

Version 1.2.1 - February 22, 2009

- Filtered polyphonic aftertouch (choke) events no longer produce superfluous note events under certain conditions.

- Pass-through polyphonic aftertouch echoing now works as intended in all cases.
          When I saw the first point I thought that it may be related with the problem I have with Addictive Drums so I downloaded the newest version and tried it. You know what? It worked!!!!!!!!!!!! Now everything is working and I cannot be happier.

Here is a screenshot of the choke config that you need to do to make it work.

Last edited by Francis_Beland; 03-08-09, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You don't mention which host you are using, but I can tell you for certain that some hosts do not support polyphonic aftertouch (Ableton Live) and no matter what you try, cymbal choking does not work unless the software supports polyphonic aftertouch. I offer this info for anyone reading this topic for help... the VST host you use is a big part of the equation.
            Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I'm using Cubase LE 3 as host. From the understanding I had, it doesn't matter if the host supports or not polyphonic aftertouch because the Edrum MIDI mapper can transform that aftertouch signal to a choke note by using the configuration I included as screenshot.

Comment

You're absolutely right Francis.
                I updated to the new version of midi-mapper and was able to achieve the same results. After reviewing the AD keymap and a little bit of trial and error, I was able to get all my cymbal triggers choking like mad.

Just goes to show that what you think you know can sometimes be your biggest limitation... and how assumptions can sometimes get in the way of progress. Perserverence and just keeping your mind open to possibilities, will sometimes pay off...

The idea sharing here is second to none.
                Thanks Francis, I'm very happy to share in your excitement!
                Last edited by Sabre; 03-09-09, 03:19 PM. Reason: speln eror
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Ow yeah Francis thank you very much!

I managed to get my cym 1 edge to choke using the F#5 in to the choke note box!! But i didn't managed to let my cym 1 bow and hi hat choke using the F#5 in the choke note box. Is there a connection between the main note and the choke note in midi mapper to make it work? Sabre did you managed to get all your cymbal zones and hihat zones to choke? If so how did you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Greetz,

Jasper
                  The Netherlands
                  Alesis Trigger I/O + TD-3 + TMC-6, 2x PD-120, VH-11, 2x Pd-85r, 1x Pd- 80, 1x Pd-8, 2x CY-8, 1x Cy-12r, 1x CY-5, KD-8

Addictive Drums, Complete EZdrummer Series, Superior Drummer 2.0 + NY Legacy Expansion, Steven Slate Drums 3.0, BFD2

Comment

Hey Jasper,

Yes after reviewing the AD keymap and trying a few different things, I was able to get both my crash cymbals to choke on both bow and edge sounds.

I looked at the hi-hat config, but decided to count my blessings for now and leave that for another day. Unlike many people (or so it seems at least) my hi-hat works awesome, and I'm not about to potentially screw that up by trying to get it to choke as well. Honestly I can't think of a time I've ever thought that I needed to choke the hats...

In the choke note box, try 78, 80, and 82 - midi-mapper will translate it automatically. Do only one at a time, or it can get confusing really fast. Then make sure you click 'OK' to close the settings box before trying it out. If I remember correctly, other than the one example in this thread, the notes were all variations of the actual cymbal note (I'm at work and can't look at my setup directly). So in my case I think the cymbal note was G5 and the choke note was G#5 or something like that anyway.

I can provide clearer information once I get home, but hopefully you'll get it sorted by then. If not, keep us posted and we'll do whatever we can to help out. Good Luck!
                    Last edited by Sabre; 03-12-09, 11:52 AM. Reason: corrected note numbers
                    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

On my side, I did check for a good 5 seconds to see if I could choke the Hi-Hat but like Sabre said, I don't think I'll ever have to choke by hat and if I have to, I will just press the pedal.

To change subject, Sabre, can you post your Hi-Hat settings in the MIDI mapper so we can compare. I'm not totally satisfied with my hat settings (I guess I can achieve perfection by taking time but I don't have time these days).

Thank you

Comment

Thanks Sabre i will sort it out now. I also would like to compare my hihat setting with yours so i hope you can screenshot your midi mapper and share it with us!!! I'm not fully satisfied with my mapper so maybe we can make a better map for Roland together.
                        Alesis Trigger I/O + TD-3 + TMC-6, 2x PD-120, VH-11, 2x Pd-85r, 1x Pd- 80, 1x Pd-8, 2x CY-8, 1x Cy-12r, 1x CY-5, KD-8

Addictive Drums, Complete EZdrummer Series, Superior Drummer 2.0 + NY Legacy Expansion, Steven Slate Drums 3.0, BFD2

Comment

Thank you very much Sabre for your help with the choke notes. I managed to choke all cymbals exept for the hats, not gonna burn me on that now
                          I still hope you want to share your hihat settings in midi mapper.

Jasper

Comment

Ok, here they are guys.
                            Remember I'm using a TD-3 that is limited to open - half-open - closed so my dynamic notes/thresholds are set to maximize response from what I'm limited to working with.
                            Hope this helps

Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Wow thanks Sabre!! This really improved my hihat! Maybe you want to share your total overview of your midi mapper there i also have a TD-3 i might be interesting to compare them. This is my map at the moment:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X