HELP!! Triggering EZdrummer with the Roland TD-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Triggering EZdrummer with the Roland TD-9

Can anyone tell me step by step how to trigger ezdrummer with the roland td-9? PLEASE HELP!!

In a word... no.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

There are too many variables and you have not given us enough information.
    You have not told us what you have already done to try to figure it out for yourself.
    You have not even told us what equipment you are working with.

I'm not trying to be a **** (it just comes naturally...) but it's your first post here, and you are clearly looking for a quick answer rather than to become a member of this community... why should we even bother to try and help?

Ask your question again, providing all the relevant information.
    And perhaps introduce yourself and tell us something about you.

We're a friendly bunch, with some extremely knowledgable members who will be more than willing to help work this problem through. But you have to give us more to go on.
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

sabre.

well thanx for replying. well my band is trying to record right. and we decided to record through ableton using toontracks ezdrummer with the drum kit from hell. but we didnt want to just use the preset fills that come with ezdrummer. so we bought the roland td-9 thinking we could just trigger ezdrummer through it. but it turns out its not that easy. and we've read the td-9 manual like 3 times already and that was no help. and we've looked everywhere on the internet with the same results. so we are really stuck. and i found the vdrum forum looking for some answers to our problem. and after i read a couple of threads i saw that you guys really know what your talking about. so i signed up and here we are.

Comment

I don't know if I can help much but, I can tell you that the EZ drummer is
        not going to be as flexible to use for E drumming as the Superior line.
        The Superior stuff is really tweekable and set more for the E drum than the
        EZ which wasn't really meant to be used with e drummers. If you had the Superior 2.0 though you can use what ever ez drum libraries there.
        First thing though is setting up your midi on your computer to receive.
        PC? or Mac? I'm on Mac.

Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by trevort View Post
          PC? or Mac? I'm on Mac.
          The type of workstation is pretty critical information Shane... I'm on a PC.

Here is my combination, and remember that this is what works for me. It took me hours and hours of trial and error and copious searching through these forums to find the all the pieces of the puzzle and get it working together. It is in no way intended to be the de-facto tutorial and there are no guarantees that any of this will work for anyone other than me. Your mileage will most certainly vary... That said, if this does help, then a mention in your liner notes would be cool!

TD-3 module (don't let that throw you, for this example the TD-9 works the same way)

M-Audio MIDISPORT 1x1 - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface
          This is the interface between the module & the PC (or Mac...)
          It connects via MIDI cable to the module, and USB cable to the PC.

Once the interface driver is loaded, the hardware should be recognized by the DAW and it should be possible to send MIDI signals in to the VST (Ableton Live in this case). image 1

I use the ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio because using the native Windows MME/DirectX driver introduces unacceptable latency. images 2 & 3

Click on Ableton's 'Plug-In Device Browser' icon and double click the ezdrummer plug-in to launch it. image 4
          If you don't see the VSTi plug-in listed, it just means it isn't located in the folder Ableton expects to find it in. Choose Options - Preferences and then choose the File/Folder tab and change the 'Plug-in Sources' folder by browsing for the correct location, then rescan plug-ins. image 5

Once the ezdrummer plug-in is fully loaded, turn 'Local Control' OFF in your module (page 52 of the manual), and you should be able to trigger the external sounds of ezdrummer by hitting pads on your kit.

As for how to record, well you're on your own I'm afraid. There is a step by step tutorial in Ableton Live that is pretty easy to follow, but I've only done it a couple of times because I'm not into recording. The thing I like to do is find an MP3 audio file using one of the 'File Browser' icons, drag it into the audio track, and then play along with my favorite songs.
          Attached Files
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by trevort View Post
            I don't know if I can help much but, I can tell you that the EZ drummer is
            not going to be as flexible to use for E drumming as the Superior line.
            The Superior stuff is really tweekable and set more for the E drum than the
            EZ which wasn't really meant to be used with e drummers. If you had the Superior 2.0 though you can use what ever ez drum libraries there.
            First thing though is setting up your midi on your computer to receive.
            PC? or Mac? I'm on Mac.

Trevor
            thanx trevor. were using the roland td-9 like i said and if you mean by the superior on ezdrummer, then we do have access to the drumkit from hell. i dont know if that tells you anything. we are using a PC and this is the first time weve ever been introduced to midi recording and we dont really know how to set up a midi device onto a computer. were using the m-audio uno midi usb interface and were running that through the midi ins and outs on the td 9. and to record were using ableton live 7, but for some reason the drums jus wont trigger even if we match the midi channels together. so if you know anything please help

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
              The type of workstation is pretty critical information Shane... I'm on a PC.

Here is my combination, and remember that this is what works for me. It took me hours and hours of trial and error and copious searching through these forums to find the all the pieces of the puzzle and get it working together. It is in no way intended to be the de-facto tutorial and there are no guarantees that any of this will work for anyone other than me. Your mileage will most certainly vary... That said, if this does help, then a mention in your liner notes would be cool!

TD-3 module (don't let that throw you, for this example the TD-9 works the same way)

M-Audio MIDISPORT 1x1 - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface
              This is the interface between the module & the PC (or Mac...)
              It connects via MIDI cable to the module, and USB cable to the PC.

Once the interface driver is loaded, the hardware should be recognized by the DAW and it should be possible to send MIDI signals in to the VST (Ableton Live in this case). image 1

I use the ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio because using the native Windows MME/DirectX driver introduces unacceptable latency. images 2 & 3

Click on Ableton's 'Plug-In Device Browser' icon and double click the ezdrummer plug-in to launch it. image 4
              If you don't see the VSTi plug-in listed, it just means it isn't located in the folder Ableton expects to find it in. Choose Options - Preferences and then choose the File/Folder tab and change the 'Plug-in Sources' folder by browsing for the correct location, then rescan plug-ins. image 5

Once the ezdrummer plug-in is fully loaded, turn 'Local Control' OFF in your module (page 52 of the manual), and you should be able to trigger the external sounds of ezdrummer by hitting pads on your kit.

As for how to record, well you're on your own I'm afraid. There is a step by step tutorial in Ableton Live that is pretty easy to follow, but I've only done it a couple of times because I'm not into recording. The thing I like to do is find an MP3 audio file using one of the 'File Browser' icons, drag it into the audio track, and then play along with my favorite songs.
              dude your awesome =]. i freaking love you man. ill get back to you if all this stuff works out bro.

Comment

man it still didnt work. like it would pick up the crash sometimes but thats it. im sooooo confused right now.

Comment

Not sure what to tell you Shane. I find it odd that it would trigger the crash at all, and nothing else... it seems like it should be an all or nothing proposition.

Check your MIDI settings on the module to make sure you are transmitting on Channel 10 (page 51). The TD-3 is fixed at channel 10, but the TD-9 manual seems to suggest that it might be set to Channel 11 by default. Also make sure Tx and Rx are ON. This may or may not change anything, since it appears that Ableton Live is set by default to receive on all channels... (see image)

EZdrummer has a 'Visual Hits' option that I believe is enabled by default, click the ? (help) icon to check that it is enabled, and then you should be able to visually see hits transmitted from your kit, even if for some reason you don't hear them. This might aid in troubleshooting things.

All the percussion note numbers for the TD-3 and the TD-9 match, with the exception of Tom 3, so if everything is being transmitted and received correctly, you should have some sort of response regardless of which pad you hit.

Further than this, perhaps someone with more knowledge of MIDI and/or the TD-9 module can assist... Remember, I'm no expert on any of this, and I don't even pretend to understand MIDI. All I've done is enough trial and error testing to get my stuff working, beyond that I don't even care to understand it all. When the MIDI guru's start talking about C0 or C1 or how they are monitoring MIDI signals/notes, my eyes begin to glaze over...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sabre; 01-04-09, 02:10 PM. Reason: added image
                  Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                    Not sure what to tell you Shane. I find it odd that it would trigger the crash at all, and nothing else... it seems like it should be an all or nothing proposition...When the MIDI guru's start talking about C0 or C1 or how they are monitoring MIDI signals/notes, my eyes begin to glaze over...
                    Just glancing through the thread, and not seeing this mentioned, I'll chime in even though I'm no "MIDI guru". I'm hoping you understand that you have to map the notes on your kit to the notes in EZ Drummer. For instance, the kick in most Roland modules is set to C2. But the kick in EZ Drummer may be mapped to C0 or C1. These correspond to notes on the keyboard and can't be changed in EZD. Therefore, you have to go into your module and change the MIDI note to match the notes that EZD is mapped to. There should be an EZD map either in the program or as a download at the Toontrack site. The default map for your module will be in the manual.

Speaking of Toontrack, since you're not getting your answers here, you may want to post your query in the Toontrack forums. There will be many people there who are well-acquainted with EZD and can guide you through the steps. I use BFD2 and AD, so I can't really be of much help, but mapping is the first place you should start troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Steve
                    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Help with routing EZdrummer back in TD-9

Hey guys, my name is Brian and this is my first posting.

I have a Roland V-drum set that I purchased last summer but haven't used it a whole lot until recently.

I upgraded the TD-4 module to a TD-9 because I wanted the midi in, as well as the midi out. I did this because I wanted to buy a program (EZdrummer) to get better sounding drums.

Well now I have EZdrummer and I am having some issues. I am also using Ableton Live 7 as my DAW. I don't know a lot about using DAWs, but I am learning.

Ok, here is my problem. I am running my TD-9 to the midi in on an M-audio midisport 2x2, and then the midi out back into the midi in of the TD-9.

When I play the V-drums it will play my EZdrummer software through the computer and I can hear the different drum kits through the computer speakers.

When I am wearing the headphones that are connected to the headphone out jack on the TD-9 module, I am still hearing the sounds from the TD-9, not the EZdrummer kit.

How do I fix this? I turned the "Local Off" on the TD-9, but then that gives me no sound out of the TD-9 headphone jack, but it still comes through the computer speakers.

I am thinking it has something to do with one of my settings through Ableton, but I just cannot figure it out.

I know that I can probably work around this and get like a headphone splitter or something and whatever, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Can anyone please help?

Comment

You will only get the TD-9 sounds out of the module headphone jack....the sounds from ezdrummer are outputted through the soundcard on your computer.
                        Damian Blunt
                        Toontrack Quality Assurance Manager
                        TD-20 RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C

Comment

Working...
                        X