I am sooooo lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sooooo lost...

Hey, all I want to do is connect my TD-12 and play with Superior 2.0...I am going shopping this week so I need to know what I need to buy..This is what I have.....

ROLAND TD-12
    Apple Macbook Pro (I don't know what kind of sound card, probably a crap one)..

I am planning to buy the M-Audio Firewire 610, is that all I need? Thanks

You'll need a MIDI input device.

Rail
    Platinum Samples
    www.platinumsamples.com

sigpic

Comment

If that is the ProFire 610 you are speaking of, M-Audio doesn't advertise MIDI as one of the "Top Features", but 1 x 1 MIDI IO is part of the product. That should work for you.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
      | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Thanks, can you guys give me more examples of which midi io I can use? Thanks

Comment

As Joe pointed-out, the 610 has a 1 x 1 MIDI interface built in. All you need is a MIDI cable. MIDI OUT on your module, to MIDI IN on your 610.

Steve
          No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

ok cool, but the FW610 is pretty expensive. Is there another type of interface you recommend that may be cheaper? Thanks

Comment

It's expensive for what it is, but you have to remember a lot of the price is due to the audio multi-ins and outs, which I doubt you need. I don't normally recommend FW interfaces, but since you're on a Mac, you'll be fine. I'd look at the Echo AudioFire 2 or 4 - http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/ - both less than $300. You won't find better cards for the money.

Good luck.

Steve

Comment

Cool thanks a lot for the help Steve. I just have one question, I went to my local music store, and they say they recommend one that has USB2.0....so I am wondering if I should get one with FireWire or USB2.0...i thought FW is faster

Comment

Originally posted by thebeat View Post
                  Cool thanks a lot for the help Steve. I just have one question, I went to my local music store, and they say they recommend one that has USB2.0....so I am wondering if I should get one with FireWire or USB2.0...i thought FW is faster
                  I'm no authority, but the consensus is that FW is faster, but USB 2.0 is fast enough. Thing is, only lesser-quality soundcards are available in USB, at least as far as I know. High-quality brands like Echo and RME only come in either in PCI or FW, not USB. PCI or PCIe being the fastest, hands down. Is there a particular USB card or brand name they're trying to sell you? FW cards can be troublesome for PC users due to issues like hotplugging, but you won't have that with a Mac. My only guess would be that maybe their profit margin is higher on USB cards.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X