Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Noob] - Roland Td-3SW- Sonar- Superior Drummer 2.0

Hi Vdrummers,

After 30 yrs playing Acoustic drums, I am finally planning on leaping into the e-drum world soon.

I am planning on getting a "complete" kit, given my budget, the Roland TD-3SW V interfaced with Sonar and Superior Drummer 2.0 have risen to the top of my list.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-T...05-i1176710.gc

Here is my question: When using Midi to fire computer based drum samples, is there a difference in the midi information that the modules send to the computer? Specifically, with the FD-8 HiHat control pedal and TD3 module that comes with the TD-3SW kit, will the full range of HH open closed nuance be possible?

Does sonar and SD 2.0 care what module it is talking to?

Thanks for your help!

Pete (Fiddler)

Gear: (some of it)
    TD-12s - SD2.0 - Dfh - Twisted Kit
    Gretch Catalina Maple
    Tama Starclassic Maple
    Sabian AAX/Vault cymbals

Welcome to the forum Fiddler. I'll let others chime in on the technical stuff, just wanted to offer a welcome.
    Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Hey Pete, welcome to the forums.
      I use a setup almost identical to what you describe, with the exception of Ableton Live instead of Sonar...
      Originally posted by Fiddler View Post
      Specifically, with the FD-8 HiHat control pedal and TD3 module that comes with the TD-3SW kit, will the full range of HH open closed nuance be possible?
      No, unfortunately that is a limitation of the TD-3 module. With the TD-3 you get 4 sounds - open, half-open, closed, and foot closed (splash). Finer nuances are unavailable with the TD-3.
      Does sonar and SD 2.0 care what module it is talking to?
      No. Although different modules can use different midi note mapping, I think all the Roland modules handle things the same way. Once you get Sonar playing nice with the data the module is sending, with S2.0 it is extremely easy to map sounds to pads using the 'learn' function.
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Thanks for the info Sabre!

Point for clarification - So, If I play the HH sounds in the TD-3 module, I will only get Open, half open, closed and splash. I understand that. If I am Triggering SD 2, will I still be limited to only those levels of nuance, or will SD 2 be able to "learn" and give a full range of HH nuance?

Thanks!

-Pete

Gretch Catalina Maple
        Tama Starclassic Maple
        Sabian AAX/Vault cymbals

Comment

Here is my question: When using Midi to fire computer based drum samples, is there a difference in the midi information that the modules send to the computer? Specifically, with the FD-8 HiHat control pedal and TD3 module that comes with the TD-3SW kit, will the full range of HH open closed nuance be possible?
          Here is the answer: No. Yes.

Bruce

Comment

Bart is the resident expert, and although I will always defer to his knowledge and experience, the brevity of his answer is a tad puzzling... at least to me.

If I am Triggering SD 2, will I still be limited to only those levels of nuance, or will SD 2 be able to "learn" and give a full range of HH nuance?
            It's been my experience with my TD-3/CY-5/FD-8/S2.0 combo that I still only get closed/half-open/open. That being said, after following Joe K's instructions on setting up hi-hats in S2.0, the sound response is much more satisfying than was ever possible with the TD-3 sounds alone. I was able to undo all the pedal mods I had tried, and still get very definite pedal chick and splash sounds (there is no splash at all with the straight TD-3 sounds). And the articulations allowed me to take advantage of zones and achieve different sounds for edge open and bell open, as well as edge closed and bell closed. For a budget system, I couldn't be happier with my hi-hats now.

I still find it difficult to achieve a consistent half-open while playing, but that is a limitation of the FD-8 pedal and has nothing to do with the module or the VSTi.
            Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Thanks Sabre,

Your experience is valuable with a very similar setup as what I am looking at.

I understand what you are saying. If I can come to a happy compromise using S2 I will be happy.

Thanks again!

-Pete

Gretch Catalina Maple
              Tama Starclassic Maple
              Sabian AAX/Vault cymbals

Comment

Working...
              X