Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIDI triggering latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI triggering latency

I don't have my set yet (TD3; will have within the next few weeks), but I do have a question about latency. I plan on using my laptop to hook up with my TD3 to trigger S2.0 or BFD. Will a simple MIDI to USB converter with ASIO drivers provide a low enough latency, or will I have to purchase an interface/sound card with MIDI input on my desktop?

HI there and welcome around.

There is plenty of info. on this already... many .. many ... rule out USB interfaces .... for "live" MIDI triggering ... if you gonna be recording and monitoring your BFD/SD sounds ... better look at firewire... PCI...

Take a read at these topics - they came up when I used th esearch engine for USB Interface:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...=USB+interface

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...=USB+interface

Browse arount the VST forum .. it is the right place to start.

Pim
    Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

I bought the Edirol UM-1EX essentially to be able to load VEX packs and I tried to install ASIO4all and the BFD2 demo on my machine et the latency is really bad (Around 500 ms).

Comment

Originally posted by Qonfused View Post
        Will a simple MIDI to USB converter with ASIO drivers provide a low enough latency, or will I have to purchase an interface/sound card with MIDI input on my desktop?
        Yes, you will have to get an audio/midi interface. As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a MIDI to USB interface with ASIO drivers. ASIO is Audio Stream Input Output and MIDI is a completely different information transfer protocol... hence
        I bought the Edirol UM-1EX essentially to be able to load VEX packs and I tried to install ASIO4all and the BFD2 demo on my machine et the latency is really bad (Around 500 ms).
        Something like the UA25 or EMU0404 I can recommend (and others will have different recommendations)....
        On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
        With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
        Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
        "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

I bought the EMU 0202 and I will do some tests tonight.

Comment

ohhh, nice francis! let me know how it goes, because I am also getting a 0202 for use with bfd2.
            TD-12, KD-120, CY15, CY14.

Comment

Working...
            X