Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distorted sounds with ezdrummer + sony Acid pro 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distorted sounds with ezdrummer + sony Acid pro 6.0

Ok, after spending literally a whole day trying to open ezdrummer in acid pro 6.0 i finally managed it at about 10:55 last night. That is 5 mins before my bedtime lol (i hate having to work ).

I have a Tascam 144 Audi interface device, Roland td8k Vdrums, ezdrummer, and sony Acid pro 6.0.

I've connected the midi out of my vdrum module into the midi in on my Tascam. I've noticed the Red led next to Midi in is constantly showing up as red. I've reffered to the manual and i think it's ok...

When i open ezdrummer within Acid pro, everything works fine untill i hit one of the drums (either physicaly hitting my vdrum, or clicking on the drum.) It clearly makes a snare sound, but the sound is distorted. It's like a patchy sound, not a solid beat but intermittent. I'ts hard to describe but i'm hoping one of you guys have had a similar problem.

Have you any idea where the problem is coming from? Do you think it's my Acid Pro 6.0 settings, or is the Tascam getting too overloaded?
    Will ezdrummer work with cubase LE 4 (free edition)? i was going to try it with another proggie, but don't want to dip into my pocket, if you know what i mean :P.

I might invest in Superior Drummer 2.0 but i'm a bit worried i'll have the same problems. Is Superior Drummer standalone or do you have to pay extra for this feature?

Sorry for so many questions, any help is greatly appreciated!

Have you tried running EZDrummer within Toontrack SOLO? (you can download SOLO from the Free Downloads area of your user account). It allows you to run EZDrummer/dfh Superior/Superior Drummer 2.0 in "stand-alone" mode.

It is hard to say without hearing the actual problem, but my first guess is that the output is clipping. Did you try turning down the output of EZDrummer or adjusting the I/O levels in Acid?

P.S.: You don't pay extra for any features in Superior Drummer 2.0. It runs as a plugin (VSTi, AU or RTAS) or as stand-alone (via Toontrack Solo). Also, Cubase LE (OEM) is not officially supported as a host due to some features missing, but any other version of Cubase 4 (retail versions) are. You probably could get EZDrummer to run within Cubase LE, but some features like drag-n-drop might be a problem.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've had more of a chance to get to grips with it now.

I've turned down the outputs of ezdrummer and it's still distorted, bear in mind i'm a complete newbie to these things, so i'm probably not doing it properly. It only sounds distorted when i'm triggering the drums as i play. If i record a midi track it sounds fine wth no distortion. There is also noticeable latency when playing, i've tried putting lowest latency on my tascam 144, but it makes no difference.

I will download the toonstruck solo and give it a go, i'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying superior drummer 2.0 to be honest, at least then i'm sure it's built for use with edrums. I've read some good things about it here, and it sounds great on the website and it's also compatible with ezdrummer.

Is there any noticeable latency when triggering superior drummer 2.0? I saw the movie on the website and it looked great to be honest (the one with nir z).

My computer is pretty good (good enough to play crysis on very high:P). What sort of expectations should i have when triggering superior drums?

if i can get my set to sound like yours i'll be happy ! nice kit and equipment. i have no idea what they do but it looks impressive . Great songs as well, are they all yours, or covers?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, judging by the info now, you are experiencing a problem with your audio device while playing real-time (record and playback is different, as the system is allowed to buffer ... but real-time monitoring you need the buffer as low as possible). Would you describe it not as distortion, but rather fast stutters?

Well, try SOLO, but also check to see if you have the latest drivers for your Tascam (and be sure to get the ASIO drivers if they have them available .. in fact, you'll need to make sure you have the ASIO drivers to use SOLO or the program will complain).

S2.0 and EZDrummer have very much the same performance, though S2.0 takes more RAM usually and mixes more channels of audio at once. The expectations you should have, if your audio interface is up to date using ASIO drivers, is no noticeable latency. (at least .. I and the other acoustics drummers who have played my kit do not notice any .. of course, there are a few milliseconds in there.). But I can't speak for every audio interface on the market. It is USB, and I prefer to use PCI or Firewire. USB can fall short for this kind of high-demand audio application, mainly because the throughput is "bursty", I believe.

Thanks for the comment on the songs. Some are covers and some are original.

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Yeah, that's a better description. It's more of a stutter.

I've downloaded the toonstruck programme and it's perfect. It plays with almost zeero latency, there is a tiny tiny bit but it's not that noticeable. So much happier now!

I think Sony Acid Pro 6.0 must be set up wrong, it's porbably the ASIO thing, as it's way better in solo.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

You might want to check your module and see if Local is turned on. If so, try turning it off, and see if there's still distortion when you play. If not, that could be the cause. Just an idea.
            Ron

Comment

I turned the local off so i only get the ezdrummer sounds coming through now which is great.

The only problem is i get noticeable latency, like about a second which is too much really as it get soff putting.

I get almost zero latency if i use Toonstruck Solo and set the Tascam as the audio out and audio in, I also plug my headphones directly into the tascam instead of the module. If i try and run it through anything else, either the module or a programme, i get noticeable latency. Is that due to the Tascam or my computer? i can understand that it's further for the information to travel, but should it be that noticeable? Do you guys run you're headphones/speakers through the module or an audio interface device?

Comment

For practical purposes, electrical signals are virtually instantaneous, so whether or not you have your headphones plugged into the audio interface, or a cable from your audio interface to your module and then your headphones from your module shouldn't make any difference .... unless there is some sort of special processing that your audio interface itself is doing on the main outs vs. the headphone outs (I doubt it).

I take the main outs from my audio interface, to my external mixer, to my headphone amplifier and then to the headphones themselves.

If all is well when using Toontrack SOLO, I'd suspect a resource consumption problem while using Acid (or audio settings within Acid). Don't know much about Acid myself, but SOLO is very streamlined to just work with a couple of options. DAWs on the other hand are much larger is scope. What I have is Sonar 6, and it works great hosting S2.0, but there is an audio configuration panel in Sonar that needs to be set just so.

Comment

Great information as usual!

I think i know what it might be. I have a soundblaster audigy in my computer (the really cheap one), and have used this as the output in some of the programmes.

So i have my module plugged into the Tascam, my Tascam plugged into the PC via USB, and the module connected to the Tascam via a midi cable. I think when i set it up in a programme i use the soundblaster audigy as the output and Tascam as the input. Whereas in Solo i just use the tascam, i'll have to give it another go tonight.

I think the soundblaster may convert the sounds into it's own format or something? So, in theory it may be processing the sounds twice. I'm tempted to switch it off, or take it out altogether. Vista seems to hate it anyway :P.

Would it change anything if i change the module's sequencer settings to external? At the moment it's set to internal. I didn't have chance to try it out last night, but i read it in the Roland manual.

Comment

Quick update, fir any1 else who gets similar issues. I've finaly got everything working properly.

It seems that i was going through my audigy as an output which gave me 1 sec of latency. if i use the Tascam as an output and input i get minimal lag, ie using the ASIO driver.

Now it's just a case of figering out some ezdrummer settings so they right. I like the sound of the snare etc but the hi hat seems a bit harsh.

Oh, changing module's sequencer didn't really solve anything. All it did was make the red light on my Tascam flash on and off :P.

With regards to Sony Acid Pro 6.0 i gave up on it. I finally got it everyting working and then it kept crashing after a few minutes of recording drums. I'm now using Reaper (free) which is great and just what i need.

Are the Superior Drummer sounds that much better than ezdrummer, ie to warrant a purchase?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazen View Post
                      Are the Superior Drummer sounds that much better than ezdrummer, ie to warrant a purchase?
                      The main difference between EZDrummer and S2.0 sounds are the samples in EZD are rendered as "mix ready" for a song, while in S2.0, you can get right down to a raw, pre-mixed sample and add your own processing. So, it depends basically on how you want to approach it.

S2.0 also has 24-bit samples while EZD is 16-bit. There are also more controllable dynamics, ambiance and bleeds in the S2.0 library (it is a much larger library on disk).

Comment

I'm definately going to get either bfd 2 or superior drummer, it's just annoying as they both get good marks etc. I wish one was crap :P.

Are the drums tuneable in Superior?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazen View Post
                          I'm definately going to get either bfd 2 or superior drummer, it's just annoying as they both get good marks etc. I wish one was crap :P.

Are the drums tuneable in Superior?
                          Yes, they can be tuned. FYI, S2.0 can load the EZX libraries and the Pop/Rock kit from EZDrummer.

I know, there are a lot of great things out there for engines and libraries. It wasn't like that just 5 years ago. Now I just wish I could find the perfect, compact Trigger-to-MIDI interface!

Comment

nice! that a good feature beacuse i've got seen a few expansions for ezdrummer that look interesting namely nashiville and vintage set.

I've ordered a copy of superior drummer 2.0, can't wait :P.

Comment

Cool stuff. You'll love S2

Comment

Working...
                              X