Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC or Mac for SD2.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC or Mac for SD2.0?

Hello drummers,

I have a question.
    Several months ago, I was overwhelmed by the sound of Superior Drummer 2.0. On my current XP PC (with EMU 1212 sound card) it runs okay, but I think it can do better.

Now I'm at the point of investing in some new hardware. Mainly to play with SD2 and play along with an audio track (no latency!), but also to record tracks with Cubase/Ableton. My local musicstore tells me there's no better option then buying an Macbook or Imac in combination with a decent audio interface.

I'm not into the Macworld, so I wonder what is are the adequate specs for a macbook or Imac to work fine for my needs (SD2, play along, record)? And yeah, I'm a Dutchman, so I think a new Macbook is far more expensive than a well equipped notebook from an other brand.... So I'm also curious if a beefed up (e.g.) Dell is worse than an Apple computer or laptop? I'm not constantly changing hardware, if only the thing works fine with my audio interface, it's allright for me.

And.......what is a good audio interface to use between my TD-12 and laptop/pc. Will a simple Tascam US-144 do? Or is a Presonus box a better option. Or is A Tascam FW-1082 something which will support my drums, and also act as a 'mini-studio'??

A lot of questions..... Of course the most important one for me is: should I buy a Mac or a Windows based system....

Anyone thanx for any input!!!

Patrick
    TD-12 Module, 1 x PD-120, 1 x KD-120, 4 x PD-100, 2 x CY-12R, 1 x VH-11, 1 x Yamaha PCY-150S

dude, if you have a computer with same specs, it doesnt matter if it's a macbook or a pc/laptop. i myself am running an asus laptop (core2 1.66, 3gb ram, vista) with cubase and addictive drums/ezdrummer and it's wonderful. i'm also using the tascam 122L which suits my needs perfectly. 5ms latency (nothing you can hear)
    if you can get a core2 system with 4gb ram, and run xp(?) you'd have better results on that than the macbook which will cost 2x as much in the first place just for the branding.

good luck dude

Comment

Hi hugensjr,

All biases aside - I have worked with both systems for many years and they all do pretty much what you want.

- Mac's advantage is that there is only 1 Mac, therefore it is compatible with all current Macs, the s/w won't be out of sync with Operating System or patches etc etc. At a studio level this really helps when you want to have a large number of machines all at the same build and not have to employ an IT Manager. Gone are the days when Mac had a decided advantage in graphics.

- At the $s level you will get far more performance and choice of cards, upgrades, s/w for a Windows based PC. You will need to fiddle a bit more if you want to be a the same config level with numerous machines.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi,
        i had my Superior 2.0 / BFD2 setup on a Windows based setup. I have struggled with it for about 6 months, and the last blow was when i got a virus which destroyed the whole installation. During the whole time i have had different problems with latency, drivers, video drivers and so on. So when i got the virus i tought **** this ****. I went and bought a iMac. And so far no problems at all. I plugged in my Megadrum module, it found it staright away and worked. Same thing with my FireWire soundcard, no need to install drivers at all. I've managed to get the latency down to 64samples, which was impossible with Windows.

I might also add that i have worked proffesionally with computers/servers for 11 years now.

As a nice add i found out that my Digital TV receiver also worked on Mac. So i bought EYEtv for Mac, installed and bam, everything worked as supposed.

my 2 cents,

Kari
        Last edited by Some Day Grey; 03-31-10, 10:57 PM.
        MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
        BFD 2,
        13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
        VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
        Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
        CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
        Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
        13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
        10" Kit-Toys splash,
        KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
        Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
        MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
        sigpic
        And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

Being using Superior ... BFD .. now BFD2... S2 on a windows based system. Never had a single problem with my machine. As stated above.. going windows you may have some extra cash to invest on a better interface than a us 144 . I got a Delta 1010 PCI (used . got here from Alan) and so far pretty happy with it.

Pim
          Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Even though I am working with AD, I also use a Mac. I recently picked up a refurbished Macbook Pro from Apple for $1300. No problems with it. I gave up on Windows a couple years ago with all the virus problems I had.
            Raptor
            Hebrews 11:6

Roland spd-30, Simmons DA-200s monitor, JBL 515xt
            Ludwig 4-piece Club Date in silver sparkle
            Future Ekit (5 piece Jobeky kit in Bubinga fade with 2box module)

Comment

If you're gonna use the same computer for music as you do for the Internet, - which is NOT recommended, BTW - you definitely want to go with a Mac. You can't risk having all of your stuff wiped-out by a virus.

Good luck.

Steve
              No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

I'd go with a Mac simply to run Logic Pro 8. My dad has it on his Quad core Mac Pro and it's such an awesome DAW. I'm envious.

I run a home built PC with a PreSonus Firebox and Ableton Live 7. It gets the job done for me right now, but if I were buying new to do music specifically....I'd probably go with a Mac. And Logic

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

My old studio PC was an HP-AMD dual core and it was great.......until I got my macbook pro. I can't tell you how much more time I spend cleaning up stuff on the PC, keeping up with updates for windows and antivirus, etc. I am about ready to replace it with an imac!

The only downsides that I have found for macs are lack of free software, things for backing up DVDs or VST hosts (I really miss Cantabile, what a great free host). Other than that, I'd take a mac everytime.

J
                  Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
                  Module - Roland TD20X
                  Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

I have both. A modern equipped PC (yes, even a Dell) or a Mac with an appropriate audio interface selection will both run S2.0 fine. Your choice is more about preference than anything (O.S. and/or DAW availability).

The audio interface is a more critical selection. Unfortunately, they are not all built or programmed equal even though they all seem to have the same feature sets. I'd go with reputation before cost in making that selection. It will be your best spent money in owning a DAW.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your helpful advices!

Last week, Apple launched their new 'collection' of notebooks, and a lot of Macbook users are upgrading. So maybe a used older model may be interesting for me. But what are sufficient specs for my needs (SD2 with Cubase)?? 2 G, 4 G RAM or 2.0 GHz to 2,6 GHz.... I can imaging 'the more, the better', but will 2 Gigabyte and 2.0 GHz processor do the job for me?

About the audio interface: my most important need is that it has low (MIDI-) latency. And I don't need HQ Mic pre-amps or so... Can a Presonus Firebox be a good candidate?

Thanks again for any advice!

Patrick
                      TD-12 Module, 1 x PD-120, 1 x KD-120, 4 x PD-100, 2 x CY-12R, 1 x VH-11, 1 x Yamaha PCY-150S

Comment

I have last years macbook pro (2.2 GHz, upgraded to 4GB RAM) and S2 works great in Toontrack's solo or in Pro Tools. I would look at the apple site, you could nab an awesome deal on one of the previous MBPs through their refurbished sales:

Just a quick look and I see available 15" models for $1349

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=CertifiedMac

J
                        Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
                        Module - Roland TD20X
                        Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Originally posted by hugensjr View Post
                          Thanks guys for all your helpful advices!

Last week, Apple launched their new 'collection' of notebooks, and a lot of Macbook users are upgrading. So maybe a used older model may be interesting for me. But what are sufficient specs for my needs (SD2 with Cubase)?? 2 G, 4 G RAM or 2.0 GHz to 2,6 GHz.... I can imaging 'the more, the better', but will 2 Gigabyte and 2.0 GHz processor do the job for me?

About the audio interface: my most important need is that it has low (MIDI-) latency. And I don't need HQ Mic pre-amps or so... Can a Presonus Firebox be a good candidate?

Thanks again for any advice!

Patrick
                          I've never managed Superior 2.0 to eat up more than about 1Gb of mem. Of course this depends on how many pads/cymbals you intend to use and what DAW you intend to use. All in all, 2Gb will get you started, and the 2Gz processor will be enough too. Having said that, there is not much room from upgrading. So to be on the safe side / future proof (Meaning that you can you use your computer for the next 2-3 years), i would go with 4Gb of RAM and the fastest processor you can afford.

/Kari
                          MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
                          BFD 2,
                          13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
                          VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
                          Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
                          CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
                          Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
                          13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
                          10" Kit-Toys splash,
                          KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
                          Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
                          MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
                          sigpic
                          And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

I'll sell you my macbook if your interested

Seriously. I'd like to upgrade to one of the new ones...

I'm a Mac fan. Years and years of Windows (Dos, Win3.1, Win95, 98, 2000, XP)... Its just painful to configure and maintain windows machines. Viruses suck as well.

For the Mac you pay a premium, but you know what you have works out of the box. Yes Macs crash. All computers will crash given the right circumstances... but my Macs are easier to maintain, and crash less. Also, the OS is designed to just work, without tweaking. Plug in stuff, it works.

You can get along with a Mac Mini and it will work fine for what you are doing. About a $600 investment and you can re-use your existing monitor, etc. YOu will just need a Midi to USB adapter. I'm using a Korg PadKontrol ad my midi interface to my DK10 and D4... I can't feel any latency issues.

P.S - I do use a PC at work, and I have a gaming PC that I use when I have the need to play (I overclock and generally performance tune for fun)... When I want to get stuff done at home I go to the Mac... When I want to tweak, I use the PC.
                            Drumkat DK10
                            Alesis D4
                            EZ-Drummer VST
                            Superior Drummer 2.0 <--- On the way!

"...You can fight without ever winning, but
                            never ever win without a fight..." Rush -
                            Resist

Comment

I actually just got the new MacBook (the $1300 one) and it works better than any laptop I have ever tried, graphics wise, it is about as powerful as an older MacBook Pro (last gen) believe it or not.

If you weren't sure about the power, they have gotten great! And absolutely stunning FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                              X