Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Tools 7 or Cubase Studio 4 - which one for BFD2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tools 7 or Cubase Studio 4 - which one for BFD2?

Over the weekend I pulled the trigger and picked up a bunch of toys for my TD20... M-Audio 410 interface, Samson Resolv 50a/Sub88 studio monitor combo, assorted cables, and BFD2 (I was going to get Superior 2.0 but they only had BFD2 in stock and since it was in my hands I just couldn't walk out without it ). The only piece missing now is a seqeuncing/DAW software package.

Looks like I've narrowed down the many choices to either Pro Tools M-Powered (because I have the 410) or Cubase Studio 4. I was wondering if anyone out there could steer me one way or the other based on the interface I have and integration with BFD2? Is there a feature or benefit that one has over the other? Right now I will mainly be playing the vdrums to access the BFD2 sounds to record drum tracks onto songs that need drums added.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and info on both of these packages but I just can't figure out which one might be better in my situation. Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Geed,

I use PT7.4 (M-Powered) and it is excellent - sorry I can't offer anything on Cubase.

I would be tempted to go with PT seeing you have the M-Audio interface - you'll be sure of good matching and compatibility. You can then look at Structure as your sampling s/w as it integrates directly with PT.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info Herc! Since my 410 came with a Pro Tools M-Powered demo CD I will load it up and give it a go.

Comment

Cubase has an excellent drum editor interface and it's MIDI editing features are great.
        ProTools is an industry standard and your files can be shared.

I think you need to look at your short term versus long term goals. If you are going to be working with other musicians and studios, ProTools will be the way to go.

If you are really into VSTs and MIDI. Think about Cubase.

At this point, I would go with ProTools personally if I didn't already have a huge collection of incompatible hardware and plugins.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with the above posts! I actually run the FW410 with PTs 7.3 right now and it is great. I've been thinking about taking the 7.4 plunge, since it is only $50.

J
          Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
          Module - Roland TD20X
          Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Hey, thanks guys! Sounds like Pro Tools is the way to go. One last question... since this is all new to me (I have very basic/limited knowledge of MIDI and software like Pro Tools) can someone suggest a basic, beginner's guide to Pro Tools and/or MIDI that is directly related to Pro Tools M-Powered? I did see THIS at my local Sam Ash Music store. Is it worth getting?

Comment

My wife got me this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-Igni.../dp/1592006019

It is pretty good, especially as a reference when you can't figure something out.

J
              Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
              Module - Roland TD20X
              Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Working...
              X