Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Superior 2.0 or sampling work? I am a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Superior 2.0 or sampling work? I am a newbie

Hey guys, I just bought my TD-12's on Friday and they are amazing. I just got a question though, I was watching YouTube videos on how Superior 2.0 works, but it looks like the electric drums are plugged into a computer and that's how it gets the sound. Is it possible to just save your sample uploaded to the card or transfer it through USB to the TD-12 Brain? Or I guess the most straight forward question is How does Superior 2.0 or sampling work?

From what I am assuming, If I buy the Superior 2.0, then I pick the drumset sound I like from the software, and upload it to the TD-12 brain?

Thanks, I am seriously noob, but I hope I can understand how it works because I don't like a lot of sounds that the TD-12 came with. Much appreciated if you guys can help me out.

Ok, unless i am totally confused, you cant unpload any new sounds to the TD 12 brain...what you do is send midi out messages from your kit, by hitting pads and then it goes through the td 12 module brain to the computer via midi. that then triggers the samples on the computer's heard disc, which are the heard via the computer's monitors....

which means you have to have a computer near your drum kit...which is why I hope that coming Roland modules will equal S2's sounds...
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, good thing I have a Macbook Pro
      And I think V Expressions lets you upload new sounds on the td-12's..here is link... http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/td12.html

Comment

Originally posted by thebeat View Post
        Ok thanks for the info, good thing I have a Macbook Pro
        And I think V Expressions lets you upload new sounds on the td-12's..here is link... http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/td12.html
        The VEX packs are legendary around here and Alan from V Expressions is a moderator here.
        The VEX packs work by changing data in your module. There's no actual transfer of sounds to the module. Having said that though, the editing and customisation functions of the TD12 and TD20 allow tweaking and tuning of the drum sounds to the point where they can be made to sound totally different to the stock settings..... and VEX have that down to a fine art.

Comment

thanks superpuss... also i got one more question for you guys.... is an interface card required? From my thinking, I think all you need is a laptop... or the real question is, how do I hook this up? Put a cable from my Macbook pro to the td-12 mix in? Thanks, this will be my final question.

Comment

the best way to run superior or any of drum plugins is to use a low latency interface that has midi ins and outs. The reason for the interface is that integrated sound cards have too much latency to play in real time.

J

PS I use a MacBook pro with the m audio fw410. Works great.
            Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
            Module - Roland TD20X
            Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Hi J, thanks for your help. The M AUDIO FW410 is a bit too pricey for me, and I just want to be able to run Superior 2.0 with a decent interface (nothing too professional).
              Would something like this work? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM1EX/
              Last edited by thebeat; 08-06-08, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Hi J, thanks for your help. The M AUDIO FW410 is a bit too pricey for me, and I just want to be able to run Superior 2.0 with a decent interface (nothing too professional).
                Would something like this work? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM1EX/
                The device in that link is just a midi to usb cable, which only gets you halfway to your goal. The problem comes when the midi gets to your MBP and triggers Superior samples and your built in audio card can't play them back fast enough.....then the sample will sound delayed, ie: latency. There are varying degrees of latency and some people, not many, have been able to get satisfactory results with onboard sound cards, but they are the minority.

That is where you will need an audio interface, they are made to give you low latency. There are other interfaces out there by many companies that will do the job, none are exactly cheap. I would recommend a firewire interface over a usb one, firewire has proven to be faster and allow higher sustained data transfer.

Your options are to get the midi to usb cable and try it with your onboard sound card. See if it works, if not, either add an interface that doesn't have Midi I/O or add one that does and sell the midi to usb. OR you could just pick up one with midi and avoid the hassle.

J
                Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

Thanks Jrummer, I understand now. I am going to see if I can find an interface that is a bit cheaper, but you're right, it looks like they are all pretty much around the same price. I'll probably just end up getting the one you have M-AUDIO FW410.

Comment

Thanks Jrummer, I understand now. I am going to see if I can find an interface that is a bit cheaper, but you're right, it looks like they are all pretty much around the same price. I'll probably just end up getting the one you have M-AUDIO FW410.
                    Look around and familiarize yourself with the different options available on different models and then search for a good price. I found my interface for $260 or $270 somewhere and then had a reputable place price match it.

J
                    Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

Working...
                    X