Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior 2 vs BFD 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior 2 vs BFD 2

I'm thinking about buying one of them could any1 share with me their experience with any of them. That would help me a lot. Ihave not found any revieews that really put them side by side.
    Thanks

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...97&postcount=2

Comment

I've only had my copy of BFD2 for a few days and I think it's absolutely fantastic. Worth every penny (got it for $400 off eBay brand new and sealed).

Everyone I've played it to has been stunned - convinced they were listening to a recording of someone playing when in fact it was just MIDI data. To be quite honest, I can't blame them. Really an excellent package. Highly recommended to people who demand quality, realism and complete control.

Take a listen to some of the MIDI grooves playing through the 'Lazy Sunday Jazz' setup:
      http://members.iinet.net.au/~kris.ma...SundayJazz.mp3

Comment

I've had a less-than-spectacular experience with BFD2. The first few versions were very buggy. It's more stable now, but still doesn't play very well with my V-drums, and there are other issues. Kit piece volumes vary greatly, MIDI LEARN still doesn't work, and worst of all, the toms were all recorded without snare bleed "because engineers didn't like it". Pffft. FXpansion is a great company though, and I'm sure all these issues will eventually be ironed-out. All that said, the samples are meticulously recorded and sound fantastic. They sound much better to my ears than the Superior2 samples, but then again, all I've heard from S2 has been in mp3 format, which is a particularly horrible medium for drums. In any case, I plan on getting Ocean Way Drums as soon as they make a few changes, and probably selling-off my other drum VST's (except for Guru, which is great).

Good luck.

Steve
        No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Have you played the Ocean Way yet? A lot of people appear to be curious on this product but for over 1K it would have to be ROCK solid.

Comment

This was played with a VDrum kit into Pro Tools... using BFD2:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/audi...D2_Example.mp3

Our packs have as many as 250 velocity levels.. where OWD only have around 12.

All our toms have snare bleed (strainer turned on while recording)... or both options.
            Last edited by PlatinumSamples; 08-01-08, 01:56 PM.
            Platinum Samples
            www.platinumsamples.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
              This was played with a VDrum kit into Pro Tools... using BFD2:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/audi...D2_Example.mp3

Our packs have as many as 250 velocity levels.. where OWD only have around 12.

All our toms have snare bleed (strainer turned on while recording)... or both options.
              It may just be the mix but that demo sounds a little thin to me. The toms sound full but the snare, cymbals and kick seem to be lacking a little body, especially compared to NY Avatar in Superior 2.

Comment

This is an MP3.. we have 24 bit WAV files for download on our site.

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html
                Platinum Samples

Comment

Originally posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
                  This is an MP3.. we have 24 bit WAV files for download on our site.

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html
                  I just downloaded the 'EJB-Kit3-Demo.wav' and that is a much better example IMHO even after converting to mp3 (I tried converting it as a comparison to your file posted above).
                  It sounds a lot fuller and playing those sounds on my kit would put a similar smile on my face as Superior 2 currently does

Comment

Which encoder did you use to create the MP3?

Cheers,

Rail
                    Platinum Samples

Comment

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
                      My fave mp3 converter.

Comment

Thanks!

Rail
                        Platinum Samples

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

I just have nice words to say about PLatinum Samples: I have both packs . they simply rock. I barely use the BFD2 sounds to be honest. Andy Johns has a great snare/cymbals selection..

Pim
                            Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

I currently own BFD2 and after a very buggy start has been pretty stable with the latest releases. Overall i'm happy with the software. Great sounds, playability isn't perfect but still good.

When I practice, I always use BFD2 as the sounds and dynamics inspire me to play longer and I often come up with ideas I wouldn't when playing the regular TD-20 sounds.

One issue I have is the latency when playing along with a song. I'd like to be able to play along with my favourite songs with BFD2 but the latency just throws me off. It doesn't bother me when I play without music.

I'm curious to here from owners of both BFD2 and Superior 2 on whether one peforms better than the other on latency. Not sure if you use BFD2 / Superior 2 when you play along to something but it would be great to have some feedback on any latency differences if any.

Thanks

Doramuboy

Comment

Working...
                              X