Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior 2.0 TD-10/VH-11 Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior 2.0 TD-10/VH-11 Template

Since Superior Drummer 2.0 makes it so easy for users to share projects and MIDI Map templates, I decided to make one for a standard TD-10 mapping.

http://www.rockdebris.com/audio/samp...TD10Avatar.zip

This contains 2 files:
    Joes_TD10_Avatar.s20 is a complete SD 2.0 project (including MIDI Mapping) using only drums from the Avatar Sound Library that ships with SD 2.0. You can load this by simply going into the "Presets" menu in SD 2.0 and choosing "Load Project". Navigate to the file and open it.

Joes_TD-10_Avatar (no extension) is only the MIDI Map from the project above, which you can load into any existing project. Just place it in your "\<install_dir>\SL-Avatar\SampleProjs\MidiPresets\" and you'll be able to load it using the "Presets -> MIDI -> User Presets" menu

To give you an idea what the project contains, I configured my TD-10/TDW-1 in a typical way:
    Kick (KD-120)
    Snare (PD-120 with RIM)
    Toms 1 & 2 (PD-100)
    Toms 3 & 4 (PD-120)
    HiHat (VH-11)
    Cymbal 1 & 2 (CY-14)
    Ride (CY-15R, dual zone)

The SD 2.0 project and MIDI template only maps the relevant parts of the kit, none of the instruments contain GM mapping or anything superfluous when using a TD-10 (I started with a clean MIDI map). This includes the necessary settings for HiHat, cymbal choke and snare position sensing.

Also, I upped the Layer Limits to provide the most samples per instrument for the engine to draw from.

I also set up the tom rim shots, in case the user has PD-9 style rubber pads (or in case you use a TD-20, in which case the mapping is probably consistent with that module as well).

The project loads in 16-bit and takes 675MB RAM. You can bring this down to 536MB if you reset Layer Limits to their default. (Presets -> Layer Limits -> Default)

Enjoy

P.S. - These are my own personal settings and nothing official from Toontrack.

P.S.S. - It is really quite simple and fast to use the "Learn" feature to customize SD 2.0's MIDI Map. It is worth knowing how to do for yourself.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

thanks a lot Joe, to make sure I figured it out correctly, is it true that you can put layers to 0/0/0 to have s2 NOT load some articulations? I noticed that with your template flams and other stuff are still loaded on the snare and I was trying to remove them to save space. I also think a few articulations on the HH are not used and could be taken out?

Also I think one of the pads had 2 midi notes to trigger it, but I can't remember which one it was :/

Thanks again for providing this!
    TD-10/TDW1 + TD-7, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-8s, Superior 2.1 + Allaire/hit factory SDX

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
      thanks a lot Joe, to make sure I figured it out correctly, is it true that you can put layers to 0/0/0 to have s2 NOT load some articulations?
      Yes, that is a great tip and I didn't do that optimization in the project I shared. When I do perform the optimization for myself (based on what my kit can trigger), I get the project down to 516 MB (from 675 MB), without losing anything.

When you make those Layer Limit adjustments, just make sure you have the "Edit Articulation Only" checked and the engine will unload only that articulation.

These are some articulations you should consider:

Crashes: Mute (since you are using Aftertouch anyway)
      Snare: Mute Center, Flams, Rolls, Ruffs

If your kit cannot (or you do not) trigger Tom Rims, that is another obvious one to cut out. Or the Ride Punch (I love hitting the ride edge, but I know some people say they never do).
      Last edited by Joe_K; 07-20-08, 06:33 PM.

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

I just gotta say... WOW!

Anyone who has struggled trying to get a great sound from their setup, needs to try this template. Use it as a baseline for customization, or at the very least just try it out to see how Joe has compiled this kit.

Joe, through your other posts I was able to get my hi-hats just about perfect, but I have really struggled getting even a decent snare. With your template, right out of the box my snare just rocks! It really cuts through but not so much that it's overpowering. I'm not sure why, but it's almost as if it triggers better too.

For me personally, this will be a great way for me to learn the finer points of S2.0 and all it has to offer. Thank you.
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
          Joe, through your other posts I was able to get my hi-hats just about perfect, but I have really struggled getting even a decent snare. With your template, right out of the box my snare just rocks! It really cuts through but not so much that it's overpowering. I'm not sure why, but it's almost as if it triggers better too.
          I'm very glad that it was able to help you, and thank you for letting me know.

Comment

So is this any different than going through and using the "Learn" function by myself? I've got a TD-20 with the typical setup it comes with but using Aux 4 as a China, aux 3 as a right splash, and aux 2 as a left splash with aux 1 still open, and still using the 4 toms, ride, 2 cymbals, and hat's.

I've extremely new to Superior 2 so havn't had a chance to mess with it as much as I should. I record MIDI into Sonar 7 Producer, do any editing/adjustments I have to in there, I use aftertouch to record my cymbal mutes (Sonar's aftertouch), etc. So I'm mainly going to be using this as a way to "re-do" my drum recordings as opposed to having the module sounds, I would like to just kind of hit play and let it bounce down the audio through Superior.
            Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

It is quite different. It's not really about the mapping, although that simplifies things a bit. It's about how Joe has tweaked the sounds and the mic's. Sure the controls are all there for all of us to use, but Joe seems to have it really figured out. And for those of us new to this sort of thing who just want it to sound good NOW, the template is just the ticket.

I've been messing with Sonar's demo, pretty much only so I can get the cymbal choke working, but I'm finding it very confusing. It is very different from Ableton Live which I find much more user friendly. So far I haven't even been able to get Superior or EZ Drummer to open in Sonar...

I'm not interested in recording, I just want to find something fairly simple that will let me open a session of Superior or EZ Drummer etc. along with an audio file, and play along. So far Ableton seemed to be the easiest to figure out, but it doesn't do aftertouch.
              Last edited by Sabre; 08-14-08, 03:52 PM. Reason: forgot to answer the question...
              Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                I've been messing with Sonar's demo, pretty much only so I can get the cymbal choke working, but I'm finding it very confusing. It is very different from Ableton Live which I find much more user friendly. So far I haven't even been able to get Superior or EZ Drummer to open in Sonar...
                I'm not sure of the Demos limitations, but in the full version you would go to "Views -> Syth Rack". Add the Superior Drummer instrument to the synth rack, and you'll get a popup dialog useful for having Sonar automatically generate all of the tracks you need (You'll need the MIDI source track and the first synth audio output).

You might have to turn on Aftertouch in Sonar as well if it isn't on by default.

Comment

Joe K,
                  Can you get a port of your magic to TD-12 or share the secret sauce for doing it?

Thx,
                  Tripp
                  Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Originally posted by tripp2k View Post
                    Joe K,
                    Can you get a port of your magic to TD-12 or share the secret sauce for doing it?

Thx,
                    Tripp
                    Have you tried loading the .s20 file and seeing what happens? I don't have any magic formula (nor do I have a TD-12), I just tweaked the MIDI map for my kit and adjusted one or two small mixer settings (I think I added some Mid Room Ambience or something ... maybe adjusted the levels of the various kick or snare mics .... I haven't looked back on this in a while).

Load up Superior with SOLO, make sure the SOLO "MIDI Controller" option is "default" and then load my file as a preset within Superior Drummer's preset menu. I suspect you'll get similar results from between a TD-10 (like I used) and a TD-12 .... but I could be wrong.

Comment

Joe_K,
                      This template ROCKS! Tweaked it slightly and need to bring in a china and splash and it will be my #1.

Question on the ride (see Edit2 below as I figured it out)...are you getting edge on yours? I'm not and was hoping you could give a pointer on how to get that back. It worked fine on my easy-peasy old #1 made up primarily of Nashville.

Thanks...you da man.

<Edit: here is the template I did using Joe's as a base for the gear listed below Tripp_TD12_Avatar.zip. I went with the Rogers Woody for some sweet crack. It loads 790M.>
                      <Edit2: I discovered the articulation options for the ride and used the learn function ro answer the question.>
                      Last edited by tripp2k; 08-17-08, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I just tried this on my TD-3 and like it. However for some reason I have to crank my volume up while I'm playing just to get it loud enough to hear. Whereas if i click the mouse on the PC on any drum, it's ULTRA LOUD. Is there any trick to getting the drum sounds from MIDI out of the kit to the PC to be nearly the same volume as click on the drum pics on the PC itself?

Also I was able to use the .s20 project file, but couldn't figure out what to do with the avatar file that lacked a file extension?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Originally posted by Joe_K View Post
                        Have you tried loading the .s20 file and seeing what happens? I don't have any magic formula (nor do I have a TD-12), I just tweaked the MIDI map for my kit and adjusted one or two small mixer settings (I think I added some Mid Room Ambience or something ... maybe adjusted the levels of the various kick or snare mics .... I haven't looked back on this in a while).

Load up Superior with SOLO, make sure the SOLO "MIDI Controller" option is "default" and then load my file as a preset within Superior Drummer's preset menu. I suspect you'll get similar results from between a TD-10 (like I used) and a TD-12 .... but I could be wrong.

Comment

I had the same problem. You will see posts here and at Toontracks that I did. You really need to tweak the velocity on your module and within Solo if that is what you are using. What I noticed was that when I click the drums on my computer with the mouse or used the pads on my m-audio Axiom 49, it would PEAK the level meters on my Line 6 UX-2 which isn't right. Not sure how to adjust those, but with some tweaking of the module and the individual drum levels (right click drum and adjust levels on the the box down at the bottom right corner) I was able to get what I refer to as "unity gain" (and reasonable meter readings) with what to me was reasonable levels when I played along with iTunes....using my v-drums.

If someone figures out how to get the mouse and pad velocity settings changed I would be grateful so I can use them when editing/correcting my flawless drumming

Comment

Hi Tripp - thanks for the response. I've been googling like a madman, yet still cannot find any other posts describing this issue. Or I'm having difficulty translating the issue into words

Originally posted by tripp2k View Post
                            I had the same problem. You will see posts here and at Toontracks that I did. You really need to tweak the velocity on your module and within Solo if that is what you are using. What I noticed was that when I click the drums on my computer with the mouse or used the pads on my m-audio Axiom 49, it would PEAK the level meters on my Line 6 UX-2 which isn't right. Not sure how to adjust those, but with some tweaking of the module and the individual drum levels (right click drum and adjust levels on the the box down at the bottom right corner) I was able to get what I refer to as "unity gain" (and reasonable meter readings) with what to me was reasonable levels when I played along with iTunes....using my v-drums.

If someone figures out how to get the mouse and pad velocity settings changed I would be grateful so I can use them when editing/correcting my flawless drumming

Comment

I have the same problem With my TD-9KX it just sounds poor with ss2.0 but when i click with the mouse it is fine i have also tried to adjust the velocity i can get it almost right but it still dont sounds/feels 100% right to play on.
                              Cant fint any template at toontrack to my edrum Hope someone can help us plz.

Comment

Working...
                              X