Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do tight hats work in terms of midi data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do tight hats work in terms of midi data?

I was wondering how do the td-20 and td-12 do the tight hats thing.

What is that exactly and how do they represent it in terms of midi data? Can the Superior 2.0 handle this feature of roland modules?

The aim of this question is to know how it is implemented so I can ask for a new feature for the MegaDrum DIY module in its forum.

Thanks

CC 4. Which is the standard foot control channel.
    sigpic

Comment

I didn't want to know how a hihat pedal works (I already know it). What I wanted to know is the "tight hats" feature of the td-12 and td-20 modules. Why if you use a td-10exp with superior 2.0 you can't get tight hats and with td-12 and superior 2.0 you do can.

Comment

According to the specs - the TD-10 can switch on and off CC4 transmission - maybe you have it off. Also the TD-10 may not transmit the same range as a TD-12. Might be interesting to record the MIDI and see what the values are.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elrules View Post
          I was wondering how do the td-20 and td-12 do the tight hats thing.

What is that exactly and how do they represent it in terms of midi data? Can the Superior 2.0 handle this feature of roland modules?

The aim of this question is to know how it is implemented so I can ask for a new feature for the MegaDrum DIY module in its forum.

Thanks
          You divide the CC4 data into zones that determine the sample that is played.

Superior 2.0 Closed Hats play from 120-125. Tight Hats at 126-127.

I don't have a TD-20/VH-12, but I believe that it simply supplies CC4 data the same as any other module, except when the hats simply close, they don't reach 127. When you apply pressure, they do go to 127. So, it is a factor of the HiHat hardware pedal resistance and the onboard trigger parameters (offset) that determine when it goes into the "tight" data range.

The VH-11 has a hardware offset adjustment (the metal dial on the clutch), which determines how hard you have to press to reach 127. It doesn't quite feel the same as, or has the pressure range of, the VH-12, but it makes it a solution that works for Tight Hats in Superior, even through a TD-10, because it is purely hardware based.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Working...
          X