Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chaotic Box eDrum MIDI mapper problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaotic Box eDrum MIDI mapper problem

Hi, I am using my TD-3 into my M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard into Protools/Ezdrummer via my USB port. In an effort to get better sounds and more flexability out of Ezdrummer (mostly the hi-hat) I got the Chaotic Box eDrum MIDI mapper based on a couple of posts here. I also got the Loopbe virtual MIDI cable and I'm having some trouble setting it up. For some reason my triggers from my TD-3 are sending MIDI info because I can hear them in ezdrummer, but it does not seem like they are going through the midi mapper. In other words when I hit the button in chaotic box to assign a note by hitting a trigger nothing happens when I hit a drum pad. If I do the same thing and hit a key from my axiom it assigns the note no problem. I have tried to change midi channels and nothing changes. I'm stumped

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    www.myspace.com/gifthorse

Make sure you have the output from the keyboard going to the virtual cable, then the virtual cable into the MIDI mapper and the out of the MIDI mapper going to EZ. Make sure your keyboard is set to receive the MIDI input on the right channel (10) or set to OMNI or all and that you are actually getting "thru" it.
    Last edited by Chris Jude; 07-12-08, 02:59 PM.

Comment

my td-3 is going to the keyboard via a midi cable and then to my pc via usb, so essentially I'm going through the keyboard.

Comment

Everything Chris said still holds true. Make sure your keyboard has a MIDI THRU option, and that it's enabled. Make sure everything is set to Ch. 10. Verify that you have your cables hooked up right - TD-3 MIDI OUT to the keyboards MIDI IN, and vice-versa. Check to make sure LoopBe1 is enabled. If you hooked anything up wrong at any time during the process, it would cause MIDI feedback, which automatically disables LB1. Look in your tray for the little LB1 icon, and see if there's line thru it. If so, just click it on and re-enable it.

In any case, you're better off with something like a $40 M-audio Uno MIDI to USB cable, than trying to daisy-chain a module to a keyboard.

Good luck.

Steve
        Last edited by Relayer; 07-16-08, 10:12 AM.
        No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Ok, so I went out and picked up a M-audio Uno and hooked it all up. Now I know my pads are going into chaotic box edrum as they now work to trigger the notes, but they are not working for ezdrummer. to test i set the snare pad to trigger the ride bell. the setup is like this. midi in to edrum is my m-audio uno and out is set to loopbe. i have the snare input on channel 10 note is D2 (snare note for my td-3) and output on channel 11 note to F3 (ride bell in ezdrummer). in protools I have the midi channel input as Loopbe channel 11and output to ezdrummer channel 11. I can hear the bell when I strike the snare pad, but I can also hear the snare sound as well. It's like ezdrummer is getting two signals. I'm lost. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I'm not sure why you have your inputs and outputs on different channels, 'cos 10 is fine for both. But it sounds like you have the M-audio enabled in PT and you're getting input from both the M-audio AND the LoopBe1. LB1 is the only input you want active in PT. Try that.

Good luck.

Steve

Comment

I set it up based on this old post.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36001

Comment

No offense to anyone, but that thread is like the blind leading the blind. I don't know enough about PT to really give you any more info. I assume you're using some kind of VST wrapper to load EZDrummer or is it RTAS? Try posing your questions over at www.gearslutz.com. Lots of PT users there who can probably put you on the right track.

Cheers.

Steve

Comment

It's all about the input and output device selection. Just like Chris Jude said originally. In your original post you indicated the signal was getting from your drums to EZ Drummer. So the signal chain is correct. You just need to configure the software to pull from the correct input.

I don't use LoopBe, I use MIDI YOKE which I believe is basically the same. There's no screenshots on the LoopBe website that clearly detail the program functionality. But basically it should just be giving your some virtual MIDI device ports. Like a virtual MIDI mixer.

You need to set eDrum MIDI MAPPER input to the USB Audio Device (your keyboard) and the output to Loopbe. Then configure your EZ Drummer host to use Loopbe as the MIDI input device.

From the way you described in your first post you have your EZ Drummer host set to MIDI Input for your keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X