Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with my Roland TD-6V & Toontrack EZdrummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with my Roland TD-6V & Toontrack EZdrummer

I need help with my Roland TD-6V & Toontrack EZdrummer....

I have Toontrack EZdrummer & im trying to figure out how to get it to work with my roland TD-6V on my pintech electronics kit so i can get on the sounds on my Pintech drums & there seems to be no good answer anywhere that ive found on how to do this...

I have a Tascam US-122
    Here is the instruction manual for it
    http://www.fixya.com/support/p248262...e/manual-19226

What it is...is a USB Audio/Midi Interface..it allows u to to connect external midi device to ur computer..or a mic, guitar...etc. You can input and output midi...

Im trying to output midi from Ezdrummer to my Pintech drums from my Tascam US-122 midi interface to....to my roland td-6v...to my drums...

Im using Sonar Cakewalk...and i also have Fruity Loops Producer Edition...

If anyone could walk me through and tell me how to do this either on Sonar Cakewalk Producer Edition or Fruity Loops Producder Edition Id really appreciate it..ive tried everything and cannot seem to get it to work...

Ive seen tons of videos on youtube so i know its possible to do this with ezdrummer...

It would really be nice to have the ezdrummer sounds on my drums...

Thanks id appreciate any help that anyone can give...

Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI out of your TD-6 to the MIDI in of your Tascam MIDI interface. Open EZDrummer as a VSTi in Cakewalk. I haven't messed with Cakewalk in ages, but basically you want to set up your VSTi track to use the MIDI (input) to output to the plugin (EZDrummer). In Cubase, you set the input and output routing for a track by selecting the track and clicking on the fields and choosing for all available form a list. But however it is done in Cakewalk, once you have your EZdrummer track enabled, you need to set the input to MIDI channel 10 (or all MIDI channels), and the output to the EZDrummer plugin.

Once that is done, hitting the pads and cymbals plugged in to your TD-6 should trigger EZDrummer. Keep in mind that EZDrummer doesn't officially support use from eDrums, but you should have working simple hi-hat, snare, kick, three toms (if you have four toms on a Roland kit, both 3 and 4 should play the low tom sound in EZ by default), and then ride and 2 cymbals. Clicking the little question mark in the upper corner of EZ will allow you to navigate to the MIDI mapping of EZ. You can then use an external mapper to re-map any input from your module to something in EZ (for instance you want your tom 4 to trigger the cowbell instead of the aux input)

Someone who uses Cake might clarify setting up a VSTi in Cakewalk better.

Comment

its a simple connection and setup really.
      I run Sonar Producer 7 and have Session Drummer 2 but I think its all basically the same.

1) Run a MIDI cable (5 pin) from the out on the module to the in on the interface.
      2) Open the synth rack and add EZDrummer. (This is how Session Drummer works but I'm not sure if EZD will be in this selection...
      3) On the MIDI track input, set it to channel 1 under your Tascam interface.

MIDI can be confusing at first but once you learn about it more and more you find how useful it can be. I have used Sonar for a year now and have only just started using MIDI about a month ago. I just never had the time to learn about it and such but now I use it a lot.

Superior Drummer 2 will be great for the e-drums when it comes out at the end of the month.
      Dave
      Sonic Orb Studios
      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jude View Post
        Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI out of your TD-6 to the MIDI in of your Tascam MIDI interface. Open EZDrummer as a VSTi in Cakewalk. I haven't messed with Cakewalk in ages, but basically you want to set up your VSTi track to use the MIDI (input) to output to the plugin (EZDrummer). In Cubase, you set the input and output routing for a track by selecting the track and clicking on the fields and choosing for all available form a list. But however it is done in Cakewalk, once you have your EZdrummer track enabled, you need to set the input to MIDI channel 10 (or all MIDI channels), and the output to the EZDrummer plugin.

Once that is done, hitting the pads and cymbals plugged in to your TD-6 should trigger EZDrummer. Keep in mind that EZDrummer doesn't officially support use from eDrums, but you should have working simple hi-hat, snare, kick, three toms (if you have four toms on a Roland kit, both 3 and 4 should play the low tom sound in EZ by default), and then ride and 2 cymbals. Clicking the little question mark in the upper corner of EZ will allow you to navigate to the MIDI mapping of EZ. You can then use an external mapper to re-map any input from your module to something in EZ (for instance you want your tom 4 to trigger the cowbell instead of the aux input)

Someone who uses Cake might clarify setting up a VSTi in Cakewalk better.

Yeah thanks alot for the help...yeah thats what im mainly confused on how to set it up in cakewalk..

Comment

Originally posted by weldman View Post
          its a simple connection and setup really.
          I run Sonar Producer 7 and have Session Drummer 2 but I think its all basically the same.

1) Run a MIDI cable (5 pin) from the out on the module to the in on the interface.
          2) Open the synth rack and add EZDrummer. (This is how Session Drummer works but I'm not sure if EZD will be in this selection...
          3) On the MIDI track input, set it to channel 1 under your Tascam interface.

MIDI can be confusing at first but once you learn about it more and more you find how useful it can be. I have used Sonar for a year now and have only just started using MIDI about a month ago. I just never had the time to learn about it and such but now I use it a lot.

Superior Drummer 2 will be great for the e-drums when it comes out at the end of the month.

Thanks a lot man now i know how to record a track in cakewalk and get it to trigger ezdrummer..i really appreciate it i was just confused on how to set it up in cakewalk.....i know this may be a dumb question, but is there a way to do the opposite from that...like get the ezdrummer sounds from my computer to my drums...i was just wondering because i tried the opposite like taking the midi out of my tascam to the input of my td-6v, but i couldnt get the sounds on my drums...is this even possible to do?..i know they make software to do this...to like expand the sounds ...i know a company called RET percussion thats all they use for their sounds...they dont even use a Sound Module...can ez drummer do this?

Superior drummer when it comes out has these capabilities doesnt it?

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question, but you can't load outside samples into your TD-6 drum module if that's what you mean. The sounds stored in your module are fixed.

You can however, trigger other sounds outside the module via MIDI (like EZ Drummer above).

Comment

yea it sounded like he wants to put the EZD sounds into his module, it cant be done though. You're stuck with a computer next to your module if you want those better sounds.

Using most MIDI setups you are able to trigger the module to play itself but it would only trigger the on board sounds.
              Dave
              Sonic Orb Studios
              My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
              Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Originally posted by weldman View Post
                yea it sounded like he wants to put the EZD sounds into his module, it cant be done though. You're stuck with a computer next to your module if you want those better sounds.

Using most MIDI setups you are able to trigger the module to play itself but it would only trigger the on board sounds.
                Yeah i realize u cant put the sounds in the TD-6V module...what i am saying is..... i want to do like the alesis i/o trigger does.....i know with it u use software like BFD and u dont have to have a module......can the roland TD-6V act like the alesis Trigger i/0?..have u ever seen the alesis i/o usb drumkit?

Heres a video that will prob help u understand what im saying
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUveZXfhqBc

Heres another one from RET percussion:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4hZ6Dh0e2Y

This is what im wondering if u can do with the roland TD-6V module instead of having to get an alesis trigger i/0 to expand my sounds

Comment

Yes, the TD-6V can act like the TriggerIo. You need to connect the midi OUT on the module to the midi IN at your pc.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                    Yes, the TD-6V can act like the TriggerIo. You need to connect the midi OUT on the module to the midi IN at your pc.
                    I did this last night actually i connect to the midi out on my TD-6V module into the midi in of my tascam...but all i get is the sounds from the TD-6V module triggering EZdrummer....i couldnt get the ezdrummer sounds on my drums

I know in the alesis usb pro kit they use BFD lite and the sounds on the drums come from the BFD software cause all the have is an alesis trigger i/o..which produces no sounds...its just an interface...

Can u do this with EZdrummer or do u have to have BFD to do this?

Comment

Remember that the triggered VST sounds will come out of your computer, so therefore you must turn your speakers up or plug your headphones or whatever into the PC.
                      Last edited by delude; 07-04-08, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by delude View Post
                        Remember that the triggered VST sounds will come out of your computer, so therefore you must turn your speakers up or plug your headphones or whatever into the PC.
                        oh ok that may be why i was trying to get the sounds to come out of my module...that figures that it is something simple like that..ill try that and see if that is what it was...but i could swear i had the volume up on my computer when i was doing it...so im not sure if thats it or not?....im gonna try and see...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by drumman8524 View Post
                          oh ok that may be why i was trying to get the sounds to come out of my module...that figures that it is something simple like that..ill try that and see if that is what it was...but i could swear i had the volume up on my computer when i was doing it...so im not sure if thats it or not?....im gonna try and see...thanks
                          It's okay I thought the same a couple of weeks ago, I thought that somehow the sounds from the VST would travel via MIDI and play out of your module (not store in the module, just play through).

Anyway, report back on how things go

Comment

Originally posted by delude View Post
                            It's okay I thought the same a couple of weeks ago, I thought that somehow the sounds from the VST would travel via MIDI and play out of your module (not store in the module, just play through).

Anyway, report back on how things go
                            u were right thats what it was i had to plug it in my computer the sound was coming out of the computer...lol...now i have latency issues with my sound card..thanks though

Comment

That's great to hear that you have it working.

I'm pretty new to this too so I guess somebody else will be able to advise you better on the latency issue, but have you tried the ASIO4ALL drivers that others are talking about? I use a Line6 Toneport UX2 as my audio interface, which comes with ASIO drivers and I have no latency issues whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X