Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering samples with TD10EXP...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering samples with TD10EXP...how?

Hi all -

I recently went from a TD-6 to TD10EXP. Having a lot of fun with it, but one thing my band wants me to do at some point is trigger various samples in a live setting, such as keyboard parts, from a couple pads. I'm not ready to get the SPD-S, so I need to make do with what I have.

Thing is, I think I have what I need, but don't know how to set it all up and then make it work. I have:

- TD10EXP
    - M-Audio Firewire 410
    - PC Laptop
    - Roland PM-1 amp, which it all needs to run out of.

The Firewire 410 came with some software such as a slimmed-down version of Abelton Live (ver 2 - it's old!)...I'm not sure what I'd need in that department.

So...I don't know if I have everything I need or how to make it all work - connections, cables, etc. Forgive me if there are diagrams somewhere on the site and I missed them.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance...

Maybe this isn't the best forum, 'cos this really doesn't have anything to do with VSTs - unless you specifically want it to. I hate to give advice on something I haven't done nor ever intend to do, but since nobody else is giving you the courtesy of a response here goes:

As far as additional cabling goes, all you need to start is a MIDI IN/OUT cable, and hook it up from your module to the 410. MIDI OUT on your module will go to MIDI IN on the 410 and vice-versa. You can then load the keyboard MIDI parts that you've made in Ableton into your TD-10 and have them triggered and played with its internal sequencer. That is if you are content with using the GM sounds that are in the module. In this scenario, you wouldn't have to lug the laptop and 410 on stage - everything would be internal. Your TD-10 manual will tell you all about loading and triggering MIDI parts. Just be aware that you can use-up memory fairly quickly. The audio out on your module will go into the amp.

Now if you want to use synths or other sounds from Ableton, the hook-up is still the same, but your module will trigger the MIDI parts and sounds from within Ableton and you will of course, need to take the laptop and interface on stage. In the scenario the memory will be limited only by the computer's memory capabilities. The audio out on the 410 and your module will go into the amp.

I know several people on this forum do this kinda stuff, so hopefully someone who's actually done this will jump in. Sorry I couldn't be of more help - hey at least you get a bump.

Cheers.

Steve
    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Relayer has it pretty much spot on. I don't know if Ableton is the best application for this. It sounds like a sampler program would work best. This site has a great database of soft synths. http://www.kvraudio.com/

The problem with doing it with software is the learning curve. You will need to familiarize yourself with a number of concepts before getting started. MIDI Mapping, VST, ASIO, etc. And the failure/glitch rate can be higher. There is nothing like having your laptop blue screen in the middle of a show!

The easiest way is to get something like the SPD-S.
      sigpic

Comment

A person with a nick of Relayer and has an XTC avatar HAS to be spot on, right?

First, thanks a TON for the favor of a reply. I appreciate it.

To clarify, I do want to trigger external sounds, not load patterns played on a keyboard and have the TD-10's GM play back its own sounds. I also know that the learning curve will suck, but that's fine...knowing it CAN be done is key for me.

Alas, I may have to get a SPD-S no matter what. I wish their on-board sounds were better - I goofed around with one for about 30 min recently and didn't hear any patches I liked, but I'd obviously use it for sampling.

Thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevman View Post
          Alas, I may have to get a SPD-S no matter what. I wish their on-board sounds were better - I goofed around with one for about 30 min recently and didn't hear any patches I liked, but I'd obviously use it for sampling.
          Yeah, anybody who buys an SPD-S for it's factory sounds has got a world of dissappointment coming. But I put all sorts of loops and one-shots pn mine and it works great.
          sigpic

Comment

A person with a nick of Relayer and has an XTC avatar HAS to be spot on, right?
            Yep, I should write a song called "The Gates of Simpleton"

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
            ...I don't know if Ableton is the best application for this. It sounds like a sampler program would work best...
            Michael makes a good point. Something like Battery would be ideal, as it's a standalone that loads .wav files of various lengths. I don't know if Ableton lite comes with a sample player or not, but if it does you could use that - stopping and starting a DAWs' sequencer during a show could prove to be problematic for a number of reasons. Otherwise, there's a nice and easy freeware one-shot sample player called Loopazoid - http://www.nexoft.de/download/download.htm It's a VST that you'd have to load into Ableton, but it's a cheap and efficient way to accomplish what you want.

Good luck.

Steve

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks again for all the help...I put the very gear I mentioned on craigslist in the hopes of making enough to help offset the cost of a SPD-S, as it appears to be SO much easier.

Gates of Simpleton? Well done. "Please be upstanding for the Moraz of Switzerland." Was thinking Tales from Topographic Chalkhills.

Comment

"Please be upstanding for the Moraz of Switzerland." Was thinking Tales from Topographic Chalkhills.
                Outstanding!

Hang on to way to load your own samples though - those internal sounds really are crap.

Cheers.

Steve

Comment

Hi Kevman,

Have you considered the Alesis trigger I/O (cost,$150.00 USD) for this? You won't need an interface as it's USB AND MIDI compatible. You would still need the appropriate software to trigger, but using the trigger I/O is much more user friendly. I currently use an SPDs for gigs, probably the more reliable way to go, rather than cart laptops around, but if you already have most of the equipment, this could be a cheaper alternative. Any other thoughts guys?
                  Hart Dynamics TE 3.2, Roland TD 10, Alesis Trigger I/O Logic PRO, Yamaha DTX 2.0

Comment

Working...
                  X