Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphone Solution - Card w/ No Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone Solution - Card w/ No Jack

I am looking at the M-Audio Delta 1010LT for a dedicated PC. Since this card doesn’t have a native headphone jack, what is the best way to hook up headphones to it? I really don’t want to have a dedicated stereo receiver next to the PC. Are there any creative and inexpensive ways to solve this? I dont record, I dont mix, I just hit the drums and want to hear them. I curently run RCA outs from my TD20 to my receiver which is across the room when I want to play openly. However, 98% of my playing is via headphones. The receiver is 20 feet way so snaking a long headphone cord across the room for my teenagers or wife to trip on isnt really an option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829121011

Thanks...

Chris

P.S - My backup plan is the Presonus Firebox via firewire but it would seem PCI would be faster.
    Last edited by csnow; 06-26-08, 03:52 PM.

You would have to run your HP through the mobo routing, but that's usually a problem when mixing I/O's in the OS. You might get lucky. Maybe someone will chime in that's using this card. Otherwise, you'll have to use the breakout RCA or Analog I/O to a HP amp or like amp/receiver where you can monitor. Just keep in mind that the more gear you add to the mix, the more unreliable the monitoring becomes. I would suggest a very simple HP amp attached to the analog I/O.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

A couple questions:

1) Can you not connect headphones directly to the TD-20? Or are you using a VST on the computer? You did not specify in your first post.

2) If you are going the VST route, then I would either go with a firewire interface that has headphone outs, or stick with the 1010Lt and then buy a small mixer or headphone amp. I am very pleased with the M-Audio firewire 410. If you go with a firewire interface, make sure it has midi I/O unless you already have a solution for that.

Some examples:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=483850

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=631239

J
      Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
      Module - Roland TD20X
      Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

I currently use the phones on the TD20 but I am moving toward VST and using the TD20 as a TMI. It looks like I will use the Presonus Firebox which will be easier in the long run.

Comment

I'd suggest sticking with a PCI interface for a desktop rather than FW. Its generally much faster and more reliable. Its really not that hard to connect headphones to RCA. All you'd need is a twin RCA to minijack socket cable. If you are any good with a soldering iron, you should easily be able to knock one of those up. That, or go with a small mixer.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the signal that is coming out on your rca's won't be strong enough to power headphones. you will have to use something like a mixer. you could look at the Rolls website, they have some small, inexpensive headphone amps. i think the model names start with PM####. I would second sticking with the PCI interface, much faster than firewire.

Comment

I think this will do nicely. I had never heard of a headphone amp before. Thanks everyone...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ier?sku=182040

It even has RCA outputs so I can send the signal from this unit to my receiver. Awesome!!!!
              Last edited by csnow; 06-26-08, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Not sure I understand your problem - the 1010LT has 10 in and 10 out ports - why don't you just assign the recorded tracks to 1010LT out 1 and 2 and patch them into the TD-20 mix in?

Comment

Out of curiosity why have you chosen the 1010LT to handle MIDI? Seems like serious overkill for your current needs, though obviously gives you plenty of in/out for the future.

You could use a M-Audio 192 which brand new have dipped close to $100 on eBay. Note that M-Audio does NOT warranty any products purchased thru eBay, even if they're an authorized reseller.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                    Hi Chris,

Not sure I understand your problem - the 1010LT has 10 in and 10 out ports - why don't you just assign the recorded tracks to 1010LT out 1 and 2 and patch them into the TD-20 mix in?
                    I didn’t know I could do that. Will I hear the Superior 2 sounds or the module sounds? I don’t want to hear the module sounds when using the computer.

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                    Out of curiosity why have you chosen the 1010LT to handle MIDI? Seems like serious overkill for your current needs, though obviously gives you plenty of in/out for the future.

You could use a M-Audio 192 which brand new have dipped close to $100 on eBay. Note that M-Audio does NOT warranty any products purchased thru eBay, even if they're an authorized reseller.
                    The only reason I chose that one is because it was spoken of by several people on the forum here, and they reported no latency issues. I don’t want to spend the money on a RME right now. If the cheaper card will work without latency, I am all for it.

What host do I need? Are the standalone host for Superior and BFD2 fine for my needs or should I get something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                      Hi Chris,

LOL I feel like an idiot. This is exactly how I used to run my 1010. The only thing you have to worry about is the splicing. It usually still demands another unit.
                      Alan
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                        The only reason I chose that one is because it was spoken of by several people on the forum here, and they reported no latency issues. I donít want to spend the money on a RME right now. If the cheaper card will work without latency, I am all for it.
                        If all you're looking for is MIDI and low latency I'd think any well-reviewed PCI or firewire product would work fine. It's all about the quality of the drivers from what I understand to minimize latency during the rendering output. I believe all of the M-Audio cards use the same core Delta drivers, at least the 192 does per their documentation. One thing about the 192 is it provides 1/4" outs which is generally more convenient than RCA.

Certainly not pushing you to a particular product.

Comment

For what it is worth, I have had excellent luck on both my dual core AMD PC and my macbook pro with the M-Audio firewire 410. You could either run headphones from there or send outs 1 and 2 back to the TD-20 mix in (using a tip/ring female to stereo male adapter) where you could control volume right at your module. Using EZdrummer with Toontrack Solo has no detectable latency, to me anyway.

J
                          Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
                          Module - Roland TD20X
                          Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

IMO the 1010LT was a nice idea and has a lot of outputs and inputs, however it really lacks the proper type of inputs and must be run with a large mixer most of the time.

In the end the firewire or USB2.0 interface is the better choice IMO.

If you don't mix or record, get something like the m-audio 2496 PCI interface which has very nice MIDI on board and is a low latency audio card made for recording but works well on playback. I use one in my studio and love it although youll need a small headphone amp to get form the card to your phones.
                            Dave
                            Sonic Orb Studios
                            My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                            Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

2496 has the same RCA jacks the 1010LT has. You have to go with the 192 to get the 1/4" connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X