Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to run the latency test on and E-Mu 0404...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to run the latency test on and E-Mu 0404...

Hi all,

I have the following:
    - AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    - 1GB RAM (DDR I think, but not sure of it's speed or the FSB speed 400 or so at a guess).
    - E-Mu 0404 PCI.
    - Win XP

Reckon this would have acceptable latency? I've found the latency measurement thread and downloaded the software. I generally use Kernel Streaming (because the E-Mu Patchmix volume controller has no impact with KS, but does with ASIO, like the Windows kmixer). I have ASIO installed anyway, and tried to set the test. I have inserted a send/return between the analog inputs and outputs of the 0404 on the WAV strip, and have connected the analog left and right channels from input to output using mono 1/4" terminated cables (ie guitar patch cables). Then I press "Measure" and see the impulse it sends down the line (in PatchMix), but the test always says:

"Can not measure the latency.
    Please check your connections and
    verify if input/output levels match"

Any ideas what I am doing incorrectly? I'd love to know what my latency is, and if I can run DFH and all that other wonderful software properly, before buying an e kit.

I'm not familiar with the Emu but do you have your input set to line level with the gain at 0dB?
    Can you hear the impulse if you run the test with speakers connected to the output? Make sure the speakers are turned down so you don't damage them with the impulse!

BTW - Your PC has the same CPU, RAM and OS as mine.

Comment

Haha I guess this test might be useful to you too then! E-Mu is the parent company of create, and likes to pretend they have better products. I'm not how good it really is as I've never used it for anything but playback, cos its popular amongst the PC-as-source HIFI ppl.

Yep, inputs are set to line level and speakers have been turned down a fair bit. I can see the impulse sent to the ASIO strip and also hear it (it's a pop noise like when you plug/unplug a guitar from an amp). I've tried all the sensitivity options but no difference.

Comment

Creative is Emu's parent company. Your 0404 should give you latency down to 2ms which is fast enough for anything you want to do. For playing I use between 4 to 6ms. Most good modules are around 6ms.
        Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Whoops, yeah that was some nice engrish I typed now that I reread it, plus plain wrong, yeah Creative own E-Mu I'd still like to get this test working though, as I've read ppl having different results using the same card, depending on other settings. I read somewhere (lost link) that you can test it using Battery 3? I have that. if someone knows how.

Comment

Working...
          X