Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ezdrummer latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ezdrummer latency

Hi, I'm having troubble playing ezdrummer live. If I record a sequence and output it trough ezdrummer it plays fine but if I want to play it live, I notice a delay (about 1 or 2 seconds) from when I trigger a pad. I wonder if members here have already noticed something similar. My setup is :

Roland TD-12, M-audio quatro or USB UNO outputting my laptop soundcard.
    Laptop : Pentium IV 1.8 Ghz, 512 meg RAm, Cubase sx 3, asio4all driver

The problem may be how I output the sound, I usually take the speaker out of the laptop and put it in the mix in of the TD-12.

Could it also be the memory of my laptop or the m-audio quatro wich is USB, or the simple fact that I don't know how to connect these things and I suck in computer drumming. A little help would be appreciate.

Simon
    -A day without drums is a day without sunshine-
    -TD-12 user-

Its more than likely that even with asio4all, you're audio interface just isn't capable of low latency playback. What buffer setting is asio4all set to? Playing back a sequence you won't notice the latency as you aren't the one triggering the events, and all the other things sequenced will be going through the same interface and will be hit with the same latency. Once you start doing it yourself, you'll notice the latency as you know when you want the sound to happen, if that makes sense. I'd suggest a dedicated audio interface, either USB, Firewire or preferably PCMCIA to connect to the laptop to use as your audio output. However, before you spend any money on that, try fiddling with the asio4all settings, and see how low you can get the settings before you get drop outs. You might just get it to a liveable level..... Good luck tweaking!

Comment

An editor for Sound on Sound magazine once said, "The only thing a laptop soundcard is good for is disabling once you have a proper interface."

ige87 gave you some good advice.
      sigpic

Comment

Lol, love that quote! Oh, and thanks Michael!

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot before I spend my cash.

SImon
          -TD-12 user-

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice it worked. I was using the output of my laptop's soundcard. Now, I'm using the outputs of my quatro trough a mixer and plug my headphones in the mixer and I can enjoy ezdrummer live, wow. The only thing I have to do now is buy extra memory for my laptop cause it looks like I can't run an application like guitar pro at the same time as ezdrummer cause that produce weird feedback sounds like if I was playing from another galaxy...

Thanks again for the advice; lesson learn; never using a laptop soundcard for music applications.

SImon
              -TD-12 user-

Comment

ezdrummer latency

I'm having latency issues when I try to create my own ez drummer tracks... it;s just off enough to make you crazy... is there an easy fix?
                Forex Guides

Comment

Welcome to the forum. This post may get moved because it's on an old thread, but...

I'm sure many of us here can help you out, but could you give more info? e.g. Are you using toontrack solo or a host program? If host, what host program are you using? what interface? playback/recording? etc...

The quick answer is check your buffer settings in toontrack solo or your host program. anywhere from 64 samples to 128 samples is usually playable as far as latency goes. But, that could be controlled outside your host... possibly on your interface.
                  my music | youtube | Kit Pics: TD-4 / TD-3, (PD-105, PD-80 [x2], PDX-8, CY-8 [x2], CY-5, PD-8 [x3], KD-8 x2, CY12-R/C, PCY-65), MOTUFastlane, Firepod, MBPro 2.4Ghz 6GRam, Logic Pro 8, S2.2, SDX's(NY Studios, M.Foundry, C&V, Evil Drums, Music City), EZX's (Rock/Jazz/Funk/Twisted/Elec), Abbey Road 60s, Addictive Drums (+Retro Pak), MalletKat 3 oct, Ac. Guitar w/midi triggers | A-kit: Pearl Masters Custom (emerald mist)

Comment

Working...
                  X