Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I record with Acid 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I record with Acid 6?

Here is the setup.

Dell Laptop - Dual core 1.6, 2 gig ddr2, onboard sound
    TD-7 triggering EZ Drummer using Toontrack Solo with a MIDI to USB cord
    This setup performs great. Good sound with no latency.

I have finally gotten around to installing Sony Acid 6 on my laptop and want to try to record some things. First, I should let you know that I have no studio software experience. What I have found out is that you cannot record a sound that is generated by a program that is installed on the same system as the studio software. Does that make sense? I opened up a simple synth program in Acid and was able to create sound, however no matter what I tried, I could not record it. The only thing that I accomplished was to record myself tapping on the laptop case through what I guess would be an external microphone. This is frustrating.

Do I need to set up EZ Drummer on a completely different computer and then run the audio out to the laptop that has the studio software? I was under the understanding that I could play and record on the same computer.

I you have any advice it would be appreciated. I can also give more detailed info to help solve the problem. Thanks as always.

S.

Make sure in the Options/Preferences of Acid 6 that the correct location is shown for your VSTi folder so that EZDrummer will show up in the VSTi list...

You need to create a MIDI track (CTRL+Alt+Q) and then route it to the EZDrummer VSTi.
    Drag the bottom line of the new MIDI track down a bit and then click on the MIDI Output (directly under the grey box), go to the Insert Soft Synth and choose EZDrummer.

Hope this helps
    On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
    With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
    Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
    "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I have finally gotten around to trying your steps to record. I double checked that I was doing everything correctly. I then hit the red record button and it looks like it does start recording as the bar starts moving across the screen. When I strike my pads I do hear the DFH samples through my headphones but they are not recording through Acid. When I stop the recording and playback the track I get something very strange. There are no drum samples recorded however ambient room sounds like dropping a stick or me clearing my throat are recorded! I went back to investigate this and if I hit record i an tap a tune on the case of my laptop and that gets recorded but not anything played back through EZD. I must be missing something. Any thoughts?

Comment

There are no drum samples recorded however ambient room sounds like dropping a stick or me clearing my throat are recorded! I went back to investigate this and if I hit record i an tap a tune on the case of my laptop and that gets recorded but not anything played back through EZD. I must be missing something.
        Well, there's your answer...you're still recording from the laptops internal microphone, not a MIDI input. You've created an audio track to record, not a MIDI track.

Press CTRL+ALT+Q to create a new MIDI track
        L. Click in the middle under the track name(should be DLS as default) and select "insert soft synth". A new window opens up and select EZD.
        This is assuming you have gone into the preferences and told Acid where your VSTi folder is located, otherwise it won't be in the SoftSynth list.

Also, check that the MIDI input is set to Auto:All so that you can record via MIDI.

Comment

OK, this is getting very frustrating.

I open Acid, no project is selected.
          I hit control ALT Q to open new midi track.
          Auto input is selected as shown in pic 1.
          I select insert soft synth shown in pic 2 and load EZ.
          When I hit record I still get the internal mic recording.

Does it matter that I am using a midi to usb converter to connect my module to the laptop?

I must be doing something wrong.
          Attached Files

Comment

In the Options/Preferences/MIDI tab, is your device listed as enabled??

Comment

Thanks for your continued help.

Yes, I do have my device enabled in the tab that you mentioned.

I tried to record a normal audio track instead of midi to see if I could get that to work, however I still get the internal mic recording.

Could this be some sort of audio driver or windows problem? I am using ASIO4ALL with the on board sound card.

I uploaded a couple more pics of preference tabs to see if you saw anything funny.
              Attached Files

Comment

Can you take a pic of your MIDI tab as well to post it up so I can see it?

Comment

Although it says "none" for the device, I am able to trigger EZ using my TD 7 module.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, I think it's the MIDI to USB cable.. ASIO4ALL is very good at what it does but your cable doesn't appear to be working properly with it.
                    Try checking the settings in ASIO4ALL?
                    I've never come across the problem you're dealing with and without access to the machine it's difficult to reproduce the problem and find a solution

I'd recommend borrowing (or buying) a decent ASIO MIDI interface (M-Audio, Edirol, Alesis), installing the drivers and retrying again. I know other members have had issues with these types of cables before..

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Acid is an excellent program and should be giving you what you want. I think a driver issue is the problem here.

Comment

Even if I do have a MIDI to USB problem. Should I still be able to record samples out of EZ by clicking on the drums when it is loaded in Acid?

Strange.

Thank you for all of your help.

Comment

Hmmm...

I'm not sure what I changed, but I am able to record now. Thanks for all of your help Sox.

Comment

Glad you finally got it sorted...

Comment

Why Acid 6? I loaded the demo, it seems more for loops and such. Have you tried Reaper? Since you paid for the SW I guess you will want to use it. Just interested in why Sony 6. I thought it had some great features but Reaper was free so ....

Comment

Why Acid 6?
                              Probably 'cause the learning curve is waaay lower than Reaper, as well as doing all the same things (audio/MIDI recording and editing.) and, it uses one of the best time stretch algorithms in the world

Comment

Working...
                              X