Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going to get DFHS 2.0 when it comes out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going to get DFHS 2.0 when it comes out?

I am pretty sure I am going to snap a copy up. I am not that happy with DFHS C&V. Was just curious if anyone else here is thinking about it.
    . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

I've been impatiently waiting for it.

This list of sounds was posted yesterday, but it seems to include the expansion packs. It's not clear on which sounds are included with the basic S2 program.

http://www.floridamusicco.com/PDF/sd2instruments.pdf
    Ron

Comment

A quote from the toontrack forums

the instruments planned to be included in the initial Superior 2.0 box - which is the same whether a full product or upgrade box is purchased is the AVATAR STUDIO SESSION 1 but we are still in the process of packaging the sounds so it is possible that some swap with the AVATAR STUDIO SESSION 2 occur before the product ships. We will publish the exact list as soon as the masters are set in stone.
      Damian Blunt
      Toontrack Quality Assurance Manager
      TD-20 RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C

Comment

Rene,

Lately I pretty much prefer BFD 2 over DFHS I own ... since been really short in time to fiddle with fx/eq/comp and so on to get out of DFHS more "polished" sounds ... specially after I got Evil Drums Pack. By what I heard and read ... DFHS 2 is really nice and will contain more produced sounds .. less rawness : I will reserve my copy tonight :-)

Pim
        Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Yes, yes, yes.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
            Rene,

Lately I pretty much prefer BFD 2 over DFHS I own ... since been really short in time to fiddle with fx/eq/comp and so on to get out of DFHS more "polished" sounds ... specially after I got Evil Drums Pack. By what I heard and read ... DFHS 2 is really nice and will contain more produced sounds .. less rawness : I will reserve my copy tonight :-)

Pim

Yeah Pim. I am hoping for some more polished sounds too. It seems that it is possible to get good sounds out of C&V; I just don't have the skill or the time. Also I am looking forward to a little better triggering of the snare.

It is too bad Toontrack didn't post some settings for one or two DAWs to dial in the sounds.
            . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

This quote from their site really made me smile:

"Superior Drummer 2.0 has been re-developed for optimized use with e-drums
              with more effective use of sample layers and much improved loading times".

I really don't think that if you shell out $350+ that you should
              have to spend hours & hours searching and tweaking
              just to get the hi-hat to work right or why your floor tom triggers a cymbal sample, ect.
              I want to spend hours & hours tweaking the sound.

That's how Toontrack will get my money.

Any of the companies that are producing this type of software are crazy
              not to want to include an established & growing number of edrummers in their yearly sales.

Comment

To be fair, the reason the pads trigger the wrong samples is to do with the use (or not) of standard GM, which is roughly what the TD-20 transmits by default. Standard GM was fine for drums a few years ago when there were far less samples to trigger. For instance, you don't usually have a ride edge or tom rims on a standard kit. The problem is, there is no approved new standard as all the companies have different features. AD doesn't choke on aftertouch where most of the others do but instead uses another midi note. Toontrack's sample map is different to that of FXPansion as they have grouped the instruments differently. To expect them to all conform to the same map would probably limit what they could do as 1 company's perfect map would be useless for another. Is it really that much of a pain to dial in a few midi mappings? Very often, you'll be able to find premade maps either by the SW company or a 3rd party to do it all for you anyway.

I know its a pain, but its only a 1-off thing, and considering the sounds you get out of it, I'd personally say it was worth it!

Comment

Yes, you're right. After I wrote that I was thinking those companies
                  will never know how we all set up our triggers and
                  can never get it 100% right out of the box.

I do however think that the software companies should at least
                  aim for the most popular edrum sets.
                  They pretty much all have dual zone triggers these days
                  (or damn well should!). Isn't that the standard now?

Also, if someone buys a TD-12 or 20, I think they could perhaps
                  (but maybe not these past few months),
                  be put into a group that has more 'disposable income' so
                  if I ran a company that made/sold a major add-on
                  that could be used on these sets,
                  I would certainly zero in on that group big time!

I also understand that because you've already remapped part of it,
                  you can now say it was worth it and sound wise I'm sure it is.
                  For someone who has yet to do that, I can say that I am not really
                  looking forward to the experience.
                  It will certainly not stop me but I'm not looking forward to it either.

If overall the sounds from all the companies are really good,
                  (and it sounds like they are),
                  then the one that has the most trouble-free install and execute
                  (while have the sound type you desire) should get the most sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkussion View Post
                    I do however think that the software companies should at least
                    aim for the most popular edrum sets.
                    They pretty much all have dual zone triggers these days
                    (or damn well should!). Isn't that the standard now?
                    Even going back to dfh Superior, Toontrack provided templates (including updates online) for trigger mapping with most popular modules on the market and their default configurations.

Originally posted by Perkussion View Post
                    I also understand that because you've already remapped part of it,
                    you can now say it was worth it and sound wise I'm sure it is.
                    For someone who has yet to do that, I can say that I am not really
                    looking forward to the experience.
                    I'd just hate to see you make a mountain out of a molehill until you've experience it. It's probably more esoteric reading and writing about this stuff than it is actually doing it, IMO. (that is not to say you won't have to learn something)

If you get a package that is specifically designed for Edrum use (Superior, BFD), changes to the MIDI map within it is practically automatic with the "Learn" feature.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_K View Post
                      Even going back to dfh Superior, Toontrack provided templates (including updates online) for trigger mapping with most popular modules on the market and their default configurations.

I'd just hate to see you make a mountain out of a molehill until you've experience it. It's probably more esoteric reading and writing about this stuff than it is actually doing it, IMO. (that is not to say you won't have to learn something)

If you get a package that is specifically designed for Edrum use (Superior, BFD), changes to the MIDI map within it is practically automatic with the "Learn" feature.

I am a moderate noob and I found the mapping no problem at all. Used the TD-20 template for DFHS C&V, and for EZD, I think I just fired it up out of the box. And hearing the Nashville kit the other day, I could say that if you are nervous, getting EZD and the Nashville expansion would get you up and running with great sounds with little if any work. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Rene

PS Hey Joe. Long time no hear... hope all is well out on the coast.
                      . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Superior 2 provides its own mixer and plugin fx (by Sonalksis). What you get on disk are the unprocessed sounds ... and plugin fx that allow them to throw on the cheese and make well mixed presets independant of the DAW you are using.

You can edit all the fx or remove them completely and get down to the raw samples. So, great mixes out of the box, but also very flexible, satisfying both types of users. Its a different route to take than they did for dfh Superior or EZdrummer.

Looking forward to it!

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
                          I am a moderate noob and I found the mapping no problem at all. Used the TD-20 template for DFHS C&V, and for EZD, I think I just fired it up out of the box. And hearing the Nashville kit the other day, I could say that if you are nervous, getting EZD and the Nashville expansion would get you up and running with great sounds with little if any work. I couldn't believe how easy it was.
                          Yeah, EZD doesn't have templates or "learn" features or its own remapping functions (it is not Toontrack's official Edrum compatible product), but out of the box it is like 90% mapped. And it was still very easy to map a couple notes from my module (TD-10, TMC-6) for the remaining 10% (though, someone new who has never needed to look at the MIDI section of their module will have to understand a few things first).

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
                          PS Hey Joe. Long time no hear... hope all is well out on the coast.
                          Doing OK Rene. Been laying low waiting for S2 ever since I got to compare everything at NAMM. Hope its all going good for you.
                          Last edited by Joe_K; 05-11-08, 09:51 PM. Reason: Ooops .. I called you Pim. Embarrased.

Comment

Hey Joe,

If you don't mind me asking... What kind of axe is that in your avatar? - I think I know... but wanted to confirm.

Almost forgot, very much enjoying your solo work in your material. Is this all you? If so, you are most definately multitalented. I find myself often overthinking my solos or making them too intricate. Bad habit I've gotten myself into.

Thanks

-Axe-

Comment

Originally posted by Axe_Grinder View Post
                              Hey Joe,

If you don't mind me asking... What kind of axe is that in your avatar? - I think I know... but wanted to confirm.
                              That would be a PRS Swamp Ash Special. You can see a color photo of it if you to my Homepage and play the 2nd song.

Originally posted by Axe_Grinder View Post
                              Almost forgot, very much enjoying your solo work in your material. Is this all you? If so, you are most definately multitalented. I find myself often overthinking my solos or making them too intricate. Bad habit I've gotten myself into.
                              Hey thanks! I'm not a technical wiz at soloing. I find that if I really like the rhythm, if there is something I find interesting in it, then the solo is actually easy part. If the rhythm is sort of a "stock" (for lack of a better word) mid-tempo-rock-down-beat kind of thing, then I have to try harder at crafting the solo. But that is all too analytical ... I just do what I do and don't fight it.

Comment

Working...
                              X