Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addictive Drums user presets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addictive Drums user presets

I know alot of you guys use addictive drums, so I guess you also have some sweet user presets. Im trying to get a good metallica sound, but I just can't manage it. I'll like to have some more kits in general, any type.
    I don't know if there is a place where people upload user presets, but if it is, I havent found it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The original AD has three sets of toms and various bass drums, snares, cymbals, and a couple of cow bells. The best way to what you are after is to send AD out to separate tracks, then use effects (compression, eq, etc.) to tweak the sound. However, keep in mind that doing this with sounds that are already mixed and effected may be problematic.

Comment

There are several user presets in the user area of the XLN site. Some are for Metal - couldn't tell you if any of them sound like Metallica or not.

Good luck.

Steve
      No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Sharing of presets was my one disappointment with AD as well. Though clearly there's enough users to warranty a company developing, marketing, and supporting the synth software there apparently isn't enough users out there online to create a very active online community. The XLN User Area download has a whopping FOUR USER PRESETS available. Whoopity-dooooooo!

In contrast you go to http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/ and find tons of amp sim presets for all of the popular sim apps. Granted, a lot of the stink. But at least they're being shared.

Let me know if you come up with a good source for AD presets.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
          ...the XLN User Area download has a whopping FOUR USER PRESETS available. Whoopity-dooooooo!
          Actually the Niklas preset is a collection of kits, including the Metal one I was talking about - so theres a total of 9 - admittedly not a lot, but better than nothing. And they cost you how much?

I'm sure they're willing to accept presets from all comers. Have at it.

EDIT: I forgot about the 3 additional presets that come with the loop collection, so the total is 12. Completely agree that the XLN forum is dullsville, however.

Cheers.

Steve
          Last edited by Relayer; 06-30-08, 09:31 AM.
          No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Even taking into consideration ALL the user presets shared it's still a surprisingly (shockingly) small number. I am however thankful that there's so many company supplied presets. Obviously many aren't every say use but there's a LOT of good stuff in there. I've personally been getting hooked on Danger Zone. There's some wild sounds you can get out of the drums using low velocity strikes, almost instrumental thanks to the pitched distortion that results.

I've yet to do any tweaking other than copying slots from various kits to create my own, thus nothing really to share. Maybe there's our answer.

Comment

Why don't you do your own sounds?
              You can just edit each instrument piece until you get the desired sound.
              Plus, if you record, you'll be using "your" sound, not someone else's sound.

Comment

Busy building A-to-E kit which has consumed all of my time. Then I have to learn how to actually play as I'm totally new to drums. Only then I can learn the kit tweaking capabilities of AD and release the full power of this battle station, err drum synth software.

Comment

Oh I see....In that case, I'd be doing the same thing as you.

Comment

My opinion is that the AD effects degrade the quality of the individual samples too much for my liking. The raw samples are actually pretty spectacular. I prefer to remove all AD effects and use other third party plugin effects to process the sounds.

To get the Metallica drum sounds (Black album for instance), you'll want to focus a huge amount on compression. As a kick example, try a kick drum that has very little natural head decay and use considerable compression and EQ to bring out the beater attack. I'd probably go around 8:1-10:1 for the ratio with a pretty quick attack; tweak release to taste. Bring out the mids to accentuate the beater.

For snare, AD should definitely have a snare that would work. It'll be all in the post production.

Comment

Originally posted by KimOlav View Post
                      I know alot of you guys use addictive drums, so I guess you also have some sweet user presets. Im trying to get a good metallica sound, but I just can't manage it. I'll like to have some more kits in general, any type.
                      I don't know if there is a place where people upload user presets, but if it is, I havent found it.
                      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                      Not sure if you're still looking, but one does exist already at the XLN Audio website under the User Area. Not sure how "Metallica" it is, but I guess it's close...

Comment

Working...
                      X