Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me TD17KVX. Some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me TD17KVX. Some questions

Hi everyone. So I just purchased the Roland TD-17KVX and loving it so far. I am running windows 10 on a work laptop. So far I have downloaded SSD free, Reaper, Kontakt Player 6 and I was thinking about getting the god city drum pack by Kurt Ballou. I also downloaded some ASIO audio driver that's supposed to help with latency? I purchased a usb A to B cable and this is where I'm at. This is brand new to me. Can I bypass the module and be able to hear the drum samples in SSD or god city through my headphones while playing instead of the TD17 sounds? If so how would I do that? My friend is sending me guitar and bass tracks to be able to record drum to. Please share your knowledge or direct me to some good tutorials for dummies. Thanks for any help offered!!

You don’t say what you are using as an audio interface? Are you using the td17 or your computer? If you are using the td17 you need to go into midi settings and turn the parameter ‘local’ to off. This stops the internal sounds playing although depending how your midi is touted you may still hear the sounds. I suggest you look around for something on midi basics. If you are using the td17 then you should be using it’s own asio driver. What asio driver are you using? Asio4all? That would probably best for for your computer if you don’t have an external audio interface and using the built in sound but not for the td17. If you want lower latency then search on hear or the forum that was called gearslutz as there is a lot of information on low latency audio interfaces
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I was just going to run the usb A to B from td17 module to my laptop. Is that what you mean?

Comment

If you use the Roland TD-17 drivers you can send MIDI to your DAW and return audio (from your VST) to your TD-17 module. You should have decent latency and quality audio signal. This is one reason Roland’s brand is worth the premium cost.

You will need to shut off local control under midi settings as suggested or else you’ll end up hearing both VST audio and TD-17 drum module audio layered on top of each other. This is no the outcome you want. Even with local control off you can Bluetooth audio into module and play along with tracks, and use the click and coaching functions. Local control off just shuts off the connection from pad trigger to module sounds.

A lot of the time (and often for windows devices) folks use an external audio interface. It takes the audio processing workload from your computer and does it in the audio interface. Reduces latency and improves audio (allows you to cut the buffer size which reduces latency but does not degrade audio quality).

You can give your TD-17 driver a go and see how it works. Roland tries to make their drivers work well on computers and allow customers to avoid an external audio interface.

TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. Combo VEX Series 3 And Designer. 2013 MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live. Alesis Strike Multipad with Alesis RealHat pedal and Boss FS-6.

Comment

Ok awesome! I'll try to give it a go this weekend. Everything is new to me including the software so I'll try to fumble through it. Will I get the machine gun effect?

Comment

The machine gunning is mostly reduced non existent on most vst sample, latest Toontrack packs are leading in this department...

Comment

Originally posted by Dadwrshpdrum View Post
              If you use the Roland TD-17 drivers you can send MIDI to your DAW and return audio (from your VST) to your TD-17 module. You should have decent latency and quality audio signal. This is one reason Roland’s brand is worth the premium cost.

Roland tries to make their drivers work well on computers and allow customers to avoid an external audio interface.
              No. The additional TD-x audio interface function is actually among the worst you can experience (especially on PC as you benefit from CoreAudio driver on Mac - but also on Mac it will add 2+ms). This driver is definitely not built for software drumming but to record the module sounds. So I suggest get a decent fast device and save a bunch of milliseconds and get a proper performance on heavy ASIO load. Dont forget to use a capable CPU.
              The Software Drumming Forum - tips & tricks + discussing drum samplers

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
                No. The additional TD-x audio interface function is actually among the worst you can experience (especially on PC as you benefit from CoreAudio driver on Mac - but also on Mac it will add 2+ms). This driver is definitely not built for software drumming but to record the module sounds. So I suggest get a decent fast device and save a bunch of milliseconds and get a proper performance on heavy ASIO load. Dont forget to use a capable CPU.
                Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

1. RME (Babyface Pro FS)

and on budget:

2. Motu M4

3. Focusrite Scarlett ("Solo" or larger)
                  The Software Drumming Forum - tips & tricks + discussing drum samplers

Comment

I'm leaning more towards the budget. I'm just looking to record drum parts to tracks my band sends me but would also like to hear the samples from SSD5 in my headphones while I play along / record to the tracks my band sends me. So the interface will do this and help cut latency?

1. RME (Babyface Pro FS)

and on budget:

2. Motu M4

3. Focusrite Scarlett ("Solo" or larger)

Comment

Originally posted by Dadwrshpdrum View Post

You will need to shut off local control under midi settings as suggested or else you’ll end up hearing both VST audio and TD-17 drum module audio layered on top of each other. This is no the outcome you want. Even with local control off you can Bluetooth audio into module and play along with tracks, and use the click and coaching functions. Local control off just shuts off the connection from pad trigger to module sounds.

A lot of the time (and often for windows devices) folks use an external audio interface. It takes the audio processing workload from your computer and does it in the audio interface. Reduces latency and improves audio (allows you to cut the buffer size which reduces latency but does not degrade audio quality).

You can give your TD-17 driver a go and see how it works. Roland tries to make their drivers work well on computers and allow customers to avoid an external audio interface.
                      So you think I'd need an interface like what Nick74 said?

Comment

I use an older MacBook Pro and did not need an interface. That is because of CoreAudio, which is a Mac thing. I’ve only heard that windows can have trouble with latency, if with ASIO.

The YouTube channel 65drums started out using Windows, ASIO, and the Roland TD-30 drivers (which I have to assume is on par to the TD-17 drivers). He has since upgraded to an audio interface and then a Mac, but that is where he started. Check out this video to see how he started.

I would give it a try since the drivers are free. If you get good performance then great. If not, a Scarlett would be a good option. Personal preference is key here. If you can’t hear the latency and you get good audio then that might be good enough for you.

I personally chose a Scarlett 18i8 Gen3 audio interface earlier this year after a few months of using a VST because I wanted multiple analog outputs, not just stereo outputs. Any Scarlett Gen3 would be a good choice. I read good reviews about MOTU M4, but the 18i8 Scarlett had better analog multi-output routing options. Before that I was using an Alesis Strike Multipad as an audio interface, and/or the TD-17. With CoreAudio I never had any complaints, but my standards are not the same as some. I play drums for a hobby.

TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. Combo VEX Series 3 And Designer. 2013 MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live. Alesis Strike Multipad with Alesis RealHat pedal and Boss FS-6.

Comment

With a buffer size of 64, I get an output latency of 1.7 milliseconds using Roland's driver with my Mac and TD-27 as audio interface, so it's definitely not adding 2 milliseconds.

Comment

Measure it with a mic, mostly the driver is not!!!!! giving real latency values, Superior was in some cases not able to report correct values, even with UAD.....1.7 ms never ever!
                            RME AIO pro and Lynx 16e are in this range, never ever Roland drivers....

Can you play to you tube videos (for me much more important to me) practicing dums....with PCI express no problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Ribot View Post
                              Measure it with a mic, mostly the driver is not!!!!! giving real latency values, Superior was in some cases not able to report correct values, even with UAD.....1.7 ms never ever!
                              RME AIO pro and Lynx 16e are in this range, never ever Roland drivers....

Can you play to you tube videos (for me much more important to me) practicing dums....with PCI express no problem...
                              I don't play to YouTube videos, but I play to songs recorded to SD card and played through the module. I don't know how to measure latency with a mic, much less with the kind of precision we're talking about (i.e., down to tenths of a millisecond). I don't know if the reported latency values are accurate or not, but I do know what the reported values are relative to each other, and I know that using the Roland driver is the fastest option for me. If I use my audio interface, for example, the system reports an output latency of 3.1 milliseconds at a buffer size of 64.

EDIT: I will say that sometimes a buffer size of 64 is inadequate and I get crackling sounds. I don't know why this happens sometimes and others not. A buffer size of 128 seems more reliable, and even then the reported output latency is only 2.9 milliseconds. This is with standalone. It is slightly higher if I play through my DAW (Logic Pro), at around 4 milliseconds. Performance seems the same. Regardless of the accuracy of the numbers, it is certainly possible to use a single USB cable connection from your TD module to your Mac and use Roland's driver. This is, after all, what the port is designed for. In any case, I think it's worth it for the OP totry it on his Windows machine before he goes and buys anything else.
                              Last edited by MJB; 05-05-21, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X