Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pleasantly Surprised: EZ Drummer 2 + MOTU 828es + Ancient Macbook Pro

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pleasantly Surprised: EZ Drummer 2 + MOTU 828es + Ancient Macbook Pro

    Thunderbolt 2 connectivity, MIDI DIN out from my DTX 700 module (720 Kit), and 64 samples... wow, was not expectlng this kind of performance!

    ** removed comments about Windows... **
    Last edited by gravyface; 04-19-21, 06:08 PM.

  • #2
    What? 32 buffer with RME 9632 or Lynx 16e (even streaming internet you tube while drumming) since 14 years / 8 years, possible, even with Windows XP, slays every Macbook in latency performance, with Superior 3.0 even up to 8 year old pcs......which are certainly available nearly for free and cheaper than even an old macbook.

    Please get the facts correct....https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...data-base.html
    Last edited by Ribot; 04-19-21, 05:59 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gravyface View Post
      Thunderbolt 2 connectivity, MIDI DIN out from my DTX 700 module (720 Kit), and 64 samples... wow, was not expectlng this kind of performance! Gotta say, Mac slays Windows for latency, even this 10-year old Macbook Pro that can't be upgraded past High Sierra.
      I think it really depends on the drivers. My 2014 MBP is setup to dual boot Catalina/Win10 and my TB2 Quantum performs a bit better under Windows.
      ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by molson View Post

        I think it really depends on the drivers. My 2014 MBP is setup to dual boot Catalina/Win10 and my TB2 Quantum performs a bit better under Windows.
        The quantum seems to have options for lower buffer sizes and latency on windows. I think that the mac audio drivers are so good that interface developers just stick with the generic mac drivers and develop dedicated drivers for Windows. I'm not sure about this though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ribot View Post
          What? 32 buffer with RME 9632 or Lynx 16e (even streaming internet you tube while drumming) since 14 years / 8 years, possible, even with Windows XP, slays every Macbook in latency performance, with Superior 3.0 even up to 8 year old pcs......which are certainly available nearly for free and cheaper than even an old macbook.

          Please get the facts correct....https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...data-base.html
          Jesus, just let me enjoy this small win.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by frankzappa View Post

            The quantum seems to have options for lower buffer sizes and latency on windows. I think that the mac audio drivers are so good that interface developers just stick with the generic mac drivers and develop dedicated drivers for Windows. I'm not sure about this though.
            That may be - under OSX I can't select lower than 64 samples.
            ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyways, I didn't want to start an OS war here at all. Just happy to finally have something playable at home, and it's nice to keep old computers from the landfill in the process.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gravyface View Post

                Jesus, just let me enjoy this small win.
                Latency is a bit of a hot button topic around here
                ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dear Mac Fanboys, an Apple M1 laptop recently appeared in my household (I am not the owner ), since there are new Td50 driver since yesterday for it and even external cases of sonntech to use PCI cards with mac Thunderbolt I will try them.....only problem, I have no real fun doing it, boring.

                  Since a lot of my friends own various older macbooks, I am looking forward seeing it loose to a ****ty mediocre pc with pci express as all the years (10 years) before we did test every 3 years, never!!!!! mac laptop had less latency (even with various RME usb and Zoom Thunderbolt Interfaces) and I am not even talking about weak streaming capabilities (i.e. drumming to a you tube video).
                  Interesting if M1 will make a difference.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ok, so again, I don't want to start a war here, but 10-year old i7/8GB DDR3 Macbook Pro and this time with a Mio USB 1-in/1-out MIDI cable, and Core Audio, and Toontracks is showing:
                    dc2cc64941bb7a7fe737a428fb55afc0.png

                    Plays totally fine to me; not sensing any lag at all, zero drop-outs (buffer overflows) with the audio.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X