Must have expansions for SD3 .Full price and Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must have expansions for SD3 .Full price and Sale

I only have D&D atm. Took a look at Mike Lukes video recommending smart choices to expand sound options economically . Looking at his recommendations for classic and Hip Hop. What do people think? I'd like to have the Hip Hop sounds available but is it worth it if i'm going to use Garage Band /Logic X ?

There seems to be a lot of those types of sounds included in the apple DAWs . I'm guessing if i want to use SD3 within Garageband or Logic to program the Hip Hop beats then i would need the expansion and i would have to use GB or LogicX's editor otherwise if i'm using their samples. I'm not sure whether i would use the sounds from Hip Hop enough just using them live playing : would probably be a novelty thing and then get tired of them.

Regarding full priced SDX's the ones that interest me most are Legacy of Rock and Decades and these two seem to crop up a lot ( along with D&D and Hansa) in peoples must have lists. For variety of kits and quality of sounds which would you go for first ? I'm interested in variety but the hardware kit currently has 4 toms and 5 cymbals so i don't want to be stuck with very small kits. So Decades or Legacy which do you like best and which has the most overlap with what i already have ?

You can get a good Hip Hop kit using the stock SD3 kits
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

The new Modern Metal EZX has a bunch of really well recorded drums. I don't own it, but watching the videos it seems like they would work for numerous music genres, not just metal.
      The EZX 'Kicks and Snares' (that is MY latest Toon sample pack) has 130 different kick and snare tones, generated from 31 individual bass drums and 43 individual snares (recorded in different studios and in different ways). So that would be a relatively cheap way to greatly expand any EZdrummer or Superior library.

Comment

I would get Rock Legacy first, as it is the crown of vstis right now, It is the most direct and natural, realistic sounding/playing/feeling expansion with no bad kit piece.

They recorded it with less prone to ambience mics (rca ribbon overheads) than superior stock sounds and decades with way more more cutting midrange (due to the very cool ribbon overheads. It is altered way less than hansa, a bit more than Decades (Al Schmitt is known for no eq and using simply mikes to get the desired result) the “room imprint” ambience is much more on decades, therefore less direct and less in your face.

Imho they managed with Rock Legacy to touch a very broad spectrum of sounds.

The black (Charlie Watts) Gretsch kit with the vintage Zildjian As (sometimes Paiste hi-hat) and Ludwig Acrolite us my favorite Funk and Soul Kit to date.

There is a vast amount of Bonham Kits, his vistalite live setup of Song Remains the Same (strong transients) and his main studio kits 3ply wood).

Even the Silver Ludwig is very much hard rock, hardcore and earlier non crowded, slower metal, checked it with Nick74 playing, he prefers more tidy and shorter getgooddrums kits (they take less room in the mix) for faster metal applications but enjoyed it....

I tried to get some of Prince sounding Lm1 Linn sounds and D’angelo to add this vibe to it, no problem....

Decades is offering with the Yamaha bob Kit the best Jazz (Gegerle) Cymbals, James Brown, Khruangbin sounds, unfortunately the room imprint is sometimes a lot and you cannot get it as dry, direct sounding and feeling as Rock Legacy and my favorite Jazz kit Peter Erskine of Bfd3.

Probably Decades features very high hanging overheads, when you kill these overheads (imho the most important mics for drum recording) it gets way to dark and you loose the natural sound/perceived ambience of them, so they define the feel and foundation of the drum sound and sample pack aesthetic (besides drum and tuning choice), imho they make the biggest difference between all of superiors expansion and are very different.
        Rock Legacy uses mic ribbons which feature way less room impact, I like that a lot, and prefer getting the ambiance with other the room mic faders.

So Hip Hop, I am a massive fan of this Genre starting from Old De la Soul, Public Enemy, Digable Planets, Nas, Poor Righteous Teachers, Prince, Common, Mc 900ft Jesus, Consolidated, Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar and futuristic crews like Ho99o9 (they even feature hardcore Punk and Death Grips (Techno and Punk Hardcore) and Anti Pop Consortium.

So what is a hip hop sound....very often Roger Troutmann/Prince Clap and Linn Lm1 sounds, sometimes old Funk (James Brown, Donny Hathaway, Grant Green records) sometimes Industrial sounds (Public Enemy, Consolidated) sometimes even Led Zeppelin and Zapp (Snoop Doggy Dog).

It is a good idea to search all samples you already have for example superior stock sounds feature a lot of electro, be sure to check your Sequencer/Daw library sounds, I have not even touched my Cubase sounds, I really like Battery 4 of Native Instruments, huge amount of sounds....

How to use them?
        Use a Daw and play these vstis simultaneously on different Daw tracks (for example Superior and Battery), no problem and much easier to control, when you save this daw project all settings of both programs load seamlessly when you start this daw project again.
        Last edited by Ribot; 11-23-20, 05:50 AM.
        Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply Ribot , I notice Independent is on a big discount for black friday this week 78% off , it seems to have some really nice organic sounding vintage drums but the small kit size is definitely off-putting since i'm playing a bigger e kit . I reckon Legacy looks like The best next full price purchase . Is Indie worth picking up at 52 euros though ( 46 GBP , doesn't get much cheaper for an SDX i guess)
          Last edited by DjangoJanner; 11-23-20, 05:54 AM.

Comment

If you actually play e-drums I would get Rock Legacy and newer Sdx, the few other older Sdx and my Reggae Ezx does not play as realistic, dynamic and I am very much into trying to optimize it and get it as realistic as possible (lynx 16e, Td 50 with latest vad toms and Focal Elegia headphone).
            I do not use samples (unless I do not have this sound) which play bad, so even Evil Drums has been erased by Rock Legends...
            Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Originally posted by DjangoJanner View Post
              it seems to have some really nice organic sounding vintage drums but the small kit size is definitely off-putting since i'm playing a bigger e kit .
              Rock Legacy is actually the cheapest vst, since a very vast drum collection which all rock and are also “Indie” I am less enthusiastic in terms of tuning drums to get other sizes than Mkok but it works in a certain tuning range no problem, also adding other bigger sizes (from other kits) inside the pack works often seemless, control sustain/attack with envelope tab to make them similar.
              Last edited by Ribot; 11-23-20, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Personally I would go with something in their Black Friday sale.

Comment

Well just bought Legacy from usual source online as i can't see Toontrack promotions affecting its price for a long time if ever. What a great SDX . Mike Luke eluded to it in his review regarding beginners and this expansion but it has to be said , this must be the best place to start as the pre made settings are just great and work straight out of the box , fitting in a huge range of genres . With a little knowledge I've managed to get a lot of the D&D presets to work for me now but a lot of them needed Reverb toning down . AS a total beginner you tend to just want to play and leave the mixer alone for the while. ( If your coming just from a drumming background and have no experience with making music electronically and using a DAW. I think I'm done with spending now , no more expansions needed . LOL I've seen that written a few times before on the forum...

Comment

Working...
                  X