Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior Drummer 3 and preset sharing . Almost a taboo subject ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior Drummer 3 and preset sharing . Almost a taboo subject ?

I know Working with SD3 is time intensive and that a few sites are selling presets for a lot of cash like $80 for 10 D&D presets for example ; but I still find it surprising that considering the amount of hobby users out there preset sharing is so rare . It certainly doesn’t come up that easily on search engines.

I actually found one YouTube user ( through several layers of forums on a metal site ) who has shared a lot of presets on YouTube, I counted 40 kits made using just Death and Darkness And the core library . Type in free presets SD3 and the like into YouTube and they don’t come up , presumably because there are not enough likes or views.

Generally all you find in YouTube is at best 1 free preset and even that’s rare and it will probably use a combo of packs that you may not have. Either that or it is just really a demo of one kit as part of a paid for set for big bucks.

So what’s going on ? are there really that few people sharing or is it that as soon as someone does share quite a few presets they get hassled by others telling them not to give away stuff for free?

Is it just that most SD3 users are song creators and don’t want their creations copied? I’d imagine someone using SD3 just for playing edrums is not going to care too much about sharing presets unless they are a professional musician.

I notice there was a preset sharing thread on here for superior Drummer though it doesn’t look like it has been used in a long while.

Originally posted by DjangoJanner View Post

Generally all you find in YouTube is at best 1 free preset and even that’s rare and it will probably use a combo of packs that you may not have.
    Personally my presets fit that category. I almost never stick to one pack and the situation escalated even further when I switched to a DAW. Now I'm using 2 VST's, multiple SD packages and multiple plugins that people won't have. Which is a shame because I'd love to share the sound I managed to get.

Comment

That is a strange occurrence, its weird.

I do not have a VST, but I'm definitely shopping for one right now. I've looked around for such a thing as "cool settings" or "presets for reggae/rock/pop/whatever" and I've found none.

It does seem like something that's not brought up much. Which is weird. Because unless you are in an extremely high level of music production, and your secret sauce is A) really yours and that its B) actually some kind of secret no one has, there's no reason to not share it around.

Even in the big big big software industry: the Photoshop, Excel, Pro-Tools, of the world, tricks and tips are rampant. People love to share tweaks and how-tos. There are hundreds of thousands of free workbooks you can download for Excel or Google Sheets. Photoshop forums are filled with every kind of recipe for how to do certain VERY SPECIFIC industry level things. But in the drumming VST world, sshhhhh, its quiet.

Comment

Interesting. Indeed hard to find usable presets.

I have no problem sharing my presets, but I am a novice and they are tailered towards my setup, doubt it will help a lot of people.
        Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I started looking at a few of the drum angle and Mike Luke videos, but it’s a lot to take in and then it all gets more complicated with all the mics in D&D . At the moment I think it’s better concentrating on improving my drumming so I tended to stick with out of the box sounds I liked : Bob Rock 1 in SD3 and SDH in the Death Library . Current favourite is Punch in the SD3 Metal Library , with the kick volume reduced a bit .

Most of the out of the box presets in D&D I have found just too much Despite very much liking the individual samples, I dare say it’s the amount of reverb on some of them.

This is the link where I found this chaps work, he goes by the name of Omega Station . I’ve no idea how good they are but many sound much more like the sounds I’m after than a lot of the standard presets.

https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...nload.1584615/
          Last edited by DjangoJanner; 10-27-20, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I’ve never looked to see what presets are out there. I don’t even use the ones that come with the packs. I just tweak to suit my needs. Never thought anyone may want them or where to upload anyway. Then my kits are all huge and may use different packs with say roto toms or octobahns added and my choice of cymbals. I’m certainly not interested in anyone else’s presets as I tweak as I go along depending on the project.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Speaking just for myself, what I like about SD3 is how fantastic the kits sound without any tweaks at all. I adjust some levels here and there, mess with the ambients a little, and that’s it. Not much to share there. Maybe because I’m an edrummer, and not a producer, I don’t care much about the presets at all. They may sound nice in a production, but to me, they’re awkward to play. Just another datapoint.
              Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                I just tweak to suit my needs...I tweak as I go along depending on the project.
                Absolutely!

Regarding stand alone e-drumming: Is there a universal "game changer" preset making a pack/drum kit sound soooo much nicer? I doubt it. It's a very detailed and personal thing: e.g. I like a certain ride cymbal in the context (dont want to replace it) but the transients do not cut enough. So I will audio-tweak this individual kit piece for my needs. As there are uncountable possibilites with software drumming the preset thing doesn't make much sense. Where it would make sense: Listening to a song/track that refers to a dedicated sample pack/product: I remember situations where I asked a manufacturer: what is the exact preset of demo-track/song X on your product site? The answer was missing in many cases, so I assume there was more than only a drum sampler preset on that track...
                Last edited by Nick74; 10-27-20, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DjangoJanner View Post

So what’s going on ? are there really that few people sharing or is it that as soon as someone does share quite a few presets they get hassled by others telling them not to give away stuff for free?

Is it just that most SD3 users are song creators and don’t want their creations copied? I’d imagine someone using SD3 just for playing edrums is not going to care too much about sharing presets unless they are a professional musician.

I notice there was a preset sharing thread on here for superior Drummer though it doesn’t look like it has been used in a long while.
                  OP's question was why does the sharing of sound settings seem so taboo. Everyone wants to make a buck off tweaks they've made to VSTs, other communities are much more generous without giving away trade secrets or proprietary information.

I think we all understand that the sound one is looking for is very personal, and that tweaking a VST to work for ourselves is part of the fun of the whole thing. But there is also fun in mimicing things. "How I used D&D to replicate so and so's snare drum" is something we'd all appreciate. Or "Use these presets and settings for this artist's album sound".

Comment

Yes that’s it really . From a personal point of view I’m just interested in playing the edrums , so I buy SD3 to use as my sound library . In a way I’m using it like a module , want to play music from a certain band , then I try and find a drum sound that is similar.

So as a drummer what would I rather do , press a button and have the sound straight there , or spend days looking at videos on how to use SD3 properly , and then try and create that sound, which probably won’t turn out that well anyway .

I can’t believe I’m alone in this , and surely this is why people buy Expansions , you want to play some Led Zep , or some Rolling Stones then buy Legacy of Rock etc.

When I look at D&D nearly everyone says the instruments are great , but I see it passed on 2nd hand quite a bit and surely some of those people are doing that because the default sounds don’t match what they want to play and they don’t have either the technical ability or time to modify the sound to what they want. This is the category I’m in , currently I’m not getting value out of D&D because the press the single button Kit sounds aren’t what I want. Over time if I watch enough videos like drum angle then I’ll be better able to modify sounds to what I want but I reckon as just a drummer I want to learn that over time rather than invest a lot of time in it now to get the sounds i like.

This is where presets come in surely . It’s no different than another kit for your module and who doesn’t want another good sounding option there?

I saw the question of preset sharing facilities asked on the Toontrack forum . Someone replied “ I wonder why no one has answered” . So I’m guessing officially if they had this facility it may well cost toontrack some SDX sales . If someone crafts excellent sounding presets that covered a lot of theLegacy of Rock sounds for example , the target buying audience would be less .

I think the presets i’ve found will be enough to give me value out of D&D until I’ve learnt enough to modify it myself but I’m sure glad I found at least that one source.

Comment

I buy expansions to create my own music and not copy others. So no I don’t buy to play along to other bands. I don’t think there is any conspiracy it just seems SD3 users do there own thing. If I did create a snare that sounded exactly like one another artist used then I’d be happy to share. Maybe you should start up a community since one does not exist. The toontrack forum does allow you to upload files by the way.
                      Last edited by mkok; 10-28-20, 04:22 AM.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                        I buy expansions to create my own music and not copy others. So no I dont buy to play along to other bands. I dont think there is any conspiracy it just seems SD3 users do there own thing. If I did create a snare that sounded exactly like one another artist used then Iâd be happy to share. Maybe you should start up a community since one does not exist. The toontrack forum does allow you to upload files by the way.
                        To be honest i'm talking generally rather than inferring anything to individual users. If an e drummer who doesn't create original music buys an expansion like LOR that has been pretty squarely targeted to play a certain type of music it isn't much of a stretch of the imagination that said music is going to be played along to it. But may well be a different story for creators buying the product.

Regarding community , i don't really think you can start that unless you can bring something to the table yourself to set the ball rolling .

P.S. The original post is a comment about the internet as a whole regarding presets , nothing specifically about this forum. Just want to make that clear .
                        Last edited by DjangoJanner; 10-28-20, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I really think the reason there aren’t that many presets for sharing out there is because Superior Drummer already sounds great right out of the box. I did buy a number of VEpressions for my TD-9 back in the day, because those built-in kits sounded awful. I just don’t feel the need to do that for SD3. I might at some point invest in some expansion packs, not for the presets, but to get some new and different, actual drums to play on.
                          Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

Originally posted by monospace View Post
                            I really think the reason there aren’t that many presets for sharing out there is because Superior Drummer already sounds great right out of the box. I did buy a number of VEpressions for my TD-9 back in the day, because those built-in kits sounded awful. I just don’t feel the need to do that for SD3. I might at some point invest in some expansion packs, not for the presets, but to get some new and different, actual drums to play on.
                            Agreed. I’m not trying to fix the sounds as they are great out of the box. I only get expansions for extra sounds to give me a bigger landscape.

All I’m not moaning about the original post by the way. It’s worth discussing.

Comment

Well , since i'm currently pulling up my floor to stuff in a load of dense rock wool slab ( soundproofing project ) i can't play the drums , but it has given me the chance to tinker with SD3 a bit more . I was being a bit dense( yes like the rock wool slab) just loading the given choice presets in D&D . I didn't realise you can just load a preset and then change the kit complete , so this has opened up a lot more options and i can now just use one of the less in your face presets as a starter point .

The whole make your own starting set up was a bit daunting with all the eq for every instrument , ambients , compressors and what not but i think Rio Grande or SDH can give me a decent ready made template to build off in D&D now . The default set up in D&D with no EQ or compressors doesn't sound right after listening to the same kits on those other presets.

Comment

Working...
                              X