X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGD, any good ?

Hey all.

Have read a bit, watched a few videos.
    Still can't discover if GGD is up to scratch these days in regards to triggering well with an EKIT.

Have TD27 with SD3 and it works very very well.
    GGD I fear won't.

Any recent experiences?

Cheers.

Surely, all that money you spent on your TD27 mean it came with good sounds?
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Lol. Its GAS and nothing but GAS i tell ya.

Comment

GGD Invasion is the only pack worth getting imo.

Matt Halpern Signature Pack doesn't support CC Hi-Hat mapping / transmuting. So you have to map all levels. Okay kits.
        P IV Matt Halpern Signature Pack does support Hi-Hat CC but the transmuting is full of bugs, also very weird ghost notes on two of the snares, avoid.

MODERN & MASSIVE PACK is a good runner up with just enough kit pieces for a standard kit. But when Toontrack already covers this segment with a number of SDX and EZX packs - it isn't particularly special, whereas Invasion is absolutely amazing and worthwhile just for the toms.

No aftertouch support on anything... maybe they work if you get your module send a choke note instead.

I despise them for using Kontakt, they should hand Toontrack the samples so they can put them in the very accessible Superior engine that works.

MODERN FUSION looks brand new and I don't know anything about it lol.
        Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 08-17-20, 08:36 PM.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks for that detailed reply kabonfaiba.
          appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            Matt Halpern Signature Pack doesn't support CC Hi-Hat mapping
            Of course it does. You can also integrate the "Edge" articulations into your Variable Hihat with a fix.

P IV Matt Halpern Signature Pack does support Hi-Hat CC but the transmuting is full of bugs
            The only "bug": Muting the Open Hihat by a pedal note does not stop the sound instantaneously: there is a fade range of the open sound after the pedal note event. --> you can have this fixed with a workaround and also integrate the "Edge" articulations into your Variable Hihat. Regarding sound PIV is absolutely outstanding and features the best snare sounds I've ever experienced.

MODERN & MASSIVE PACK is a good runner up with just enough kit pieces for a standard kit. But when Toontrack already covers this segment with a number of SDX and EZX packs - it isn't particularly special, whereas Invasion is absolutely amazing and worthwhile just for the toms.
            IMHO there are ingenious M&M FloorTom sounds you won't experience somewhere else .

No aftertouch support on anything... maybe they work if you get your module send a choke note instead.
            Cym Choke works with a fix.

Regarding GGD sounds I think there won't be many drum sample libs that can easily provide such a great drum sound which very easily fits to the mix (means: you don't have to be an audio engineer in order to make great sounding music).

Comment

Originally posted by Wotto View Post
              Lol. Its GAS and nothing but GAS i tell ya.
              What drummers, drum sound or music do you like?
              For metal GGD Halpern is cool do not like them for other styles that much....also lower velocities buzz roll are only ok.....it is optimized for higher velocity playing....

It is way more important to choose the appropriate sample pack, and recorded, tuned drums, kit pieces than superior, ggd or bfd3, they all have strength and weaknesses.
              Last edited by Ribot; 08-18-20, 05:36 AM.
              Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post

Regarding GGD sounds I think there won't be many drum sample libs that can easily provide such a great drum sound which very easily fits to the mix (means: you don't have to be an audio engineer in order to make great sounding music).
                How is the ability to mix a great drum sound in a sample library, different from your ability to fix bugs with GGD libraries?
                ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

How is the ability to mix a great drum sound in a sample library, different from your ability to fix bugs with GGD libraries?
                  How do you mean this? My personal ability/knowledge/experience to audio-engineer a drum sound for music production? Why do you want to know this?

Comment

Also, can GGD only be used in Kontakt?
                    Can you use it in Ableton?

Comment

GGD libs are Kontakt instruments. Of course you can use them in AL.

Comment

Does GGD support license transfer like Toontrack's products do? I'm considering the Invasion pack for the toms, but I would prefer being able to do something with it if I don't end up liking it in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                          Does GGD support license transfer like Toontrack's products do? I'm considering the Invasion pack for the toms, but I would prefer being able to do something with it if I don't end up liking it in practice.
                          yes they do, I contacted them a while ago regarding this and thhy reply is no problem, although I've been trying to sell M&M and Halpern pack for half price for a year without success....

Comment

Originally posted by walkinded View Post

yes they do, I contacted them a while ago regarding this and thhy reply is no problem, although I've been trying to sell M&M and Halpern pack for half price for a year without success....
                            Thanks for the info. M&M doesn't sound half bad but having only 3 toms is an issue for me and I don't want to have to go through workarounds to simulate a fourth.

Comment

So, I got the invasion package for the toms as I said and I'm happy with the sounds. Might use the kick here and there. Kontakt seems to be a bit painful to work with when compared to SD3 but for my simple usage I didn't need to adapt too much on my DAW. I guess it's good for what it was made for (programming drums) but I can't see myself ever using it as a standalone for e-drums. The lack of layers by itself is a bit disturbing when playing without background music. Feels like I boosted the sensitivity of my shells unreasonably high. I'm also very glad I don't have to deal with hi-hat tuning for this. Anyhow, I get that it's a small company and I don't mind supporting periphery folks. Hopefully it's more usable for e-drums in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X