BFD3 Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFD3 Users

How many BFD3 users here? Any of you in a TD50?

So I am looking for a good keymap for the TD50.. I got Superior Drummer 3 and it works great with it, but I find BFD3 still sounds a lot nicer, so was wondering.

It is a shame that’s bfd3 offers no keymap for Td50, even worse it does not work on the cymbals (they cut out) because Td 50 sends aftertouch messages which bfd3 interprets wrongfully, I.e. you have to filter these messages out, using cubase midi filters or use Bfd inside other daws which filter, on Vdrums Forum User Nick74 can make you a cheap custom solution, which is worth every penny.

I can give you a preset, it is important to mostly lower settings inside Td50 trigger sensitivity to 4-6 on snare and even lower on toms to get a better playability, otherwise you will get way to soon into higher velocities, be sure to cut highest velocities on key map page, alter the curve slightly.

Which kit do you want to play?
    Do you have a soundfile with a real kit, I can guide you in the appropriate direction.

I can look into it, I prefer Platinum Samples (Henry Hirsch and Evil Drums and Rock Legends by far).

Hate to say it, Superior is 20-30% better and more dynamically playable. Bfd3 gets way too early into highest velocities, and I tried a lot, they do not care that much for e-drummers.

The missing Td50 preset and even malfunctioning is a bad joke... the Fix should be easy if they would care.

Superior has also more articulations on snare and Ride, which can be mapped, cymbal choking sound and better velocity adjustment for e-drumming.

I still like a lot of bfd3 Platinum Samples the best....in terms of sound.
    Last edited by Ribot; 07-15-20, 04:57 AM.
    Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Seems also a solution inside Td50 cutting off cymbals with bfd3
      https://fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopi...t=Td50#p106402
      Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Hey man thx... Its mainly the Vibe kit in Sphere, various presets in Crush.... But it sounds like the issue then is the different kitts are mapped completely different hmmm

yikes

Comment

Sorry no experience with sphere..... I hate BFD3 stock sets, horrible with e-drums....

Very important page in bfd after you have (mostly reduced trigger sensitivity in TD5o quite a lot.

tame sensitivity cut upper velocity.jpg
          BFD3 is almost always too hot, slightly reduce curve or make another bow....to make it more playable

key map load.jpg
          When you have set the trigger and mapping of kit pieces, and saved all with the key button activated!
          Make sure the key button is deactivated, when loading other presets (unless they are correctly mapped), or you have to map them again.

Comment

Woah awesome...

Thanks a lot man. Ill also try contacting Nick74 as you suggested.. It seems cause I am so new to the forum, I have to wait a few days before i can message users. But in the meantime ill play with the above.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by nyandres View Post
              How many BFD3 users here? Any of you in a TD50?

So I am looking for a good keymap for the TD50.. I got Superior Drummer 3 and it works great with it, but I find BFD3 still sounds a lot nicer, so was wondering.
              BFD user here!

You won't need a keymap. Just map it yourself using "midi learn". Should not last longer than 10 minutes with a 10 piece drum-kit. (10 min for a newbie --> should work in 2 minutes when your'e familiar with the software)

...PS: sent you PM.
              Last edited by Nick74; 07-15-20, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I assumed the presets would take care of making the dynamics as close to the real thing as possible.. I will try the above suggestion, and map the whole thing manually indeed.. Was just wondering in case there are some minor tweaks to make it behave as close to the built in module sounds (in terms of expression).

Anyways thx guys...

Comment

I assumed the presets would take care of making the dynamics as close to the real thing as possible
                  Absolutely not!
                  You have to fine tune every kit piece, it is mostly fewer dynamics than the latest superior 3.0 packs i.e. tame it and cut velocities to control hotspots, BFD3 is much more all over the place, vdrumming is not the main customer base....probably under 5%....this is the reason for this lame implementation in terms of dynamics, sure you also have to consider your playing style and your pads, not sure if drum tec toms behave as Roland ones, digital snare is definitely able to use wider dynamic range.....because no hot spots...even with superiors Hansa is IMHO different, I use way less sensitivity inside TD 50 on snare to superior 3.0 snares.
                  Last edited by Ribot; 07-15-20, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X