Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger Settings, how sensitive you/they are.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger Settings, how sensitive you/they are.....

We are trying in various thread to get latency/percussiveness as low/realistic (2-3ms) as possible with vdrumming using modul and vsti/sample player (3,5 probably, 5,5ms are certainly possible crackle free using headphones ) and try to detect a difference/evaluate the importance ....but what about touch, triggering and dynamics......

Do you also experience a different behavior of certain samples in terms of playability, dynamics, reliability?

What are you favorites kit pieces in terms of playability, dynamics

How do you cope with problems in this regard?

What and where are the main parameters you adjust, is it the drum module, the sample player?

Will post my results later in the thread.....

Please share....
    Last edited by Ribot; 06-29-20, 04:37 AM.
    Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Originally posted by Ribot View Post
    We are trying in various thread to get latency/percussiveness as low/realistic (2-3ms) as possible with vdrumming using modul and vsti/sample player (3,5 probably, 5,5ms are certainly possible crackle free using headphones ) and try to detect a difference/evaluate the importance ....but what about touch, triggering and dynamics......

Do you also experience a different behavior of certain samples in terms of playability, dynamics, reliability?
    Definitely yes. I.e. (especially) snare sounds can have the layed-back feel.

Originally posted by Ribot View Post
    What are you favorites kit pieces in terms of playability
    Definitely the "VKast Bronze Snare Drum" from GGD P4. The best snare drum I've ever heard from a drum sampler. Even if you are playing on a sh!tty PDX8 pad your hands will feel like playing on the original drum. I even don't feel any latency at 9 ms whereas some Decades snare gave me the feeling of increased latency on a 6ms RTLsetup (cannot imagine they are badly cut).

For me the mentioned feeling on hands striking a certain surface (pad) varies pretty much after the sound. IMHO an important aspect.

And thats is also the aspect user Tonicstudio was talking about when he compared SD3 with Kontakt kits. LINK
    Last edited by Nick74; 06-29-20, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Yes !

Some kits are easier to play and feel more "connected"
      i can play at very low latency with my setup but I feel Kontakt librairies more reactive to my playing.

And I agree P4 is really impressive !

Comment

Come on guys, now I have to buy this ggd p4 Snare/sample pack, be fair although I am not that much into these brutal loud „larger than life“ snares, Drumcenter of Portsmouth have a shootout of Bell brass Snares not sure the mentioned Vkast is included, I probably like the old Tama Bell Brass the best in terms of heavy bell brass shells (I did not play it in person).
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZQXP7SO38
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsGWuqJ2LI&t=147s

But sure these brutal construction offers probably the wides dynamic range, therefore the mythical Tama Bell brass is sampled in nearly every bigger sample pack, will evaluate these different incarnations, I think I have 5 different versions of it, will be interesting how they differ to the ggd4 one, actually a very good starting point to concentrate on this bell brass snares, like comparing apples to apples, right now I probably like the chocolate audio Black Album Version Tama Bellbrass the best.....have to scrutinize it.

Could you please share the modul settings (Trigger sensitivity and velocity curve) you play this ggd 4 snare with, I am on Td50 have also a Td30 at hand....I find this very very interesting....

There are big differences and culprits in this regard.....

In terms of dynamics I was also quite astonished when I tried my real/physical 20 and 22 Ludwig Bassdrums without front head (playing reggae and soul) , I am not that experienced, struggle with my foot technique change a lot and noticed a big decline in available dynamics compared to a closed open/resonant sounding non muffled Bassdrum (especially a 18“ closed one (sure you have to play off the batter head to even notice it).
        I badmouthed certain Bassdrumd samples which I use and like a lot sounding wise (Hansa Camco without front head, damped Hollywood Ludwig of Decades) recognizing their lack of dynamics is related to the physical treatment they got , on the other hand the stock superior 3.0 Ludwig white Bonham tuned kit Bassdrum is by far the most dynamic Bassdrum I experienced in sample form.

I completely underestimated the white 3.0 superior Ludwig classic kick it because I used a way to weak sensitivity setting to trigger it (btw it is double as high as other Hansa kicks, around 10!!!!! with my Td50) I only accessed the boring lower sounding velocities back then.

The superior 3.0 white Ludwig is even almost undamped (Bonham used shredded newspaper) so that I use a bit envelope tab to control it, but that undamped recording is the reason you can play it very dynamically and lively.
        Last edited by Ribot; 06-30-20, 08:31 AM.
        Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Working...
        X