Using VSTs for live performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using VSTs for live performance

I posted this on reddit, but I’m looking to get more opinions on the subject matter.

I'm deciding between getting an Alesis Strike Pro SE or a Roland TD27KV at the moment. I want to get the Alesis Strike Pro SE because of its in-built sounds; they sound fantastic, as well as the "less bouncy" pads. However, in Australia the Alesis Strike Pro SE costs more than the Roland TD27KV. What attracts me to the Roland is the lower latency, the portability, supposed more accurate triggering and supposed better durability. However, the sounds aren't great from what I've heard and read on forums. I personally don't see a need of the extra tom and crash that comes with the Alesis Strike Pro SE (I've never actually drummed before, so can someone explain to me how these extra pads help?).

Because I want a kit to use for recording and, more importantly, something that can hold up during live performance, I'm wondering if using a VST like Superior Drummer 3 with the Roland (to give it better sounds than what is in the module) is feasible in terms of latency and general compatibility and the chances of errors, etc.

I am not concerned about the drawbacks of eDrums themselves; eDrums will be part of my band's aesthetic as it will have elements of industrial alongside the usage of acoustic samples. I just want something that sounds good and plays well.

The ability to upgrade the SD card in the Alesis to 64 GB and its ability to use round robin samples is also really great. But I'm sure that still isn't comparable to the sounds you get from a VST like SD3. Of course the Roland is apparently more playable, with less latency, and is more durable so if it pairs nicely with a VST live, I think that's my best purchase. However, if VSTs are difficult/impossible to use live, the Alesis is probably a better option, depending on how big a difference that latency and pad quality makes (I need more info on how this latency affects playability).

Of course I can always use a VST with the Alesis if I spend more money; however I don't want to sacrifice too much playability, durability and portability that the Roland has. How much is the discrepancy between the two in these regards?

Mate, I think you're putting the cart a long way before the horse with the VST / kit questions given that you've never actually drummed before and you're asking how an extra tom and crash 'would help'. (If you're taking the piss, touche.)

But it's a free world.

Of the two options you set out, definitely the TD27 plus VST (Superior Drummer 3, or maybe EZ Drummer if you're starting out), especially if the Roland is cheaper than the Alesis. There is more (much more) that you need to understand and buy to get that working for gigs, but the TD27 is a rock solid back-up if your computer fails on the gig.

I'd suggest you do a lot of reading on these forums, and also that you spend some time drumming before laying out heaps of cash on the gear you're talking about. I'd grab a cheap second-hand acoustic kit off gumtree to get started (you can make a cheap kit sound good, do a bit of research on the cymbals you are getting with the kit because cymbals either sound good or they don't) and spend some time jamming with the band to get started. Bands come and go.

Good luck.
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Jbunyip View Post

I've never actually drummed before

eDrums will be part of my band's aesthetic

How can you have a band if you have never drummed? or is it a newly formed band? Surely you need to learn to play then before being in a band? ....Im confused
      Last edited by Whagi; 06-06-20, 08:51 AM.
      Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB - Universal Audio Arrow audio interface via Thunderbolt 3 - Superior Drummer 3 - Komplete Ultimate 12 - Logic Pro X.

Comment

I'm with the others in thinking that this sounds a bit weird that you want to splash the cash when you haven't even played drums before. It's your money but eDrums are expensive and you probably want to be reasonably sure that drumming is your thing before you splash out on an expensive kit. There are cheaper ways to go about getting some decent drum sounds that you can gig and record with initially. Bear in mind that a lot of folks pick up an instrument and a year later many of them haven't touched it again because of interest, time, circumstance or whatever and they don't continue learning and playing.

That being said if you want to go down this line, then personally I'd go with Roland over Alesis

Comment

Get a Roland Set, preferably used (you can sell that anytime) and play. Basically ANY Roland Set. Ask here if you want to know if a price is acceptable.
          No "paralisis by analysis" this early.
          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Whagi View Post

How can you have a band if you have never drummed? or is it a newly formed band? Surely you need to learn to play then before being in a band? ....Im confused
            Sometimes, the guitar or bass player has to perform double duty.

the OP said he/she's never drummed before, but never said haven't played music ever either!
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

something that can hold up during live performance
              You should forget Alesis then.

I'm wondering if using a VST like Superior Drummer 3 with the Roland (to give it better sounds than what is in the module) is feasible in terms of latency and general compatibility and the chances of errors, etc.
              I would say yes. There are Pro's playing big pop/rockstar gigs having a backup system: so it's even possible to eliminate the little chance of failure.

Of course the Roland is apparently more playable, with less latency, and is more durable so if it pairs nicely with a VST live, I think that's my best purchase.
              Yes!

However, if VSTs are difficult/impossible to use live, the Alesis is probably a better option, depending on how big a difference that latency and pad quality makes (I need more info on how this latency affects playability).
              It is quite difficult for a newbee but you can go the same way like i.e. user Jetbox and get lessons in order to avoid a long learnig period.

Of course I can always use a VST with the Alesis if I spend more money
              No, I would say you can't: the Alesis midi latency is awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Whagi View Post

That's a completely, totally valid question that anyone would ask. However, I just read Steve Gorman's (Black Crowes) book Hard to Handle, and he dropped out of school and moved to Atlanta to play in a band and all he could do was really keep a basic beat and looked what happened. Crazy!
                Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick74;n1230713]

It is quite difficult for a newbee but you can go the same way like i.e. user Jetbox and get lessons in order to avoid a long learnig period.

Dude! I had Nick74 help me set up my laptop with BDF3 and the Neil Peart expansion pack from ESoundz. Holy crap what an amazing kit! Well worth the money and no way in hell the built in kits from TD50 come anywhere close! However, very technically complex to set up if you are not a technofile which I am not. I would never have been able to do this by myself and I intend on taking this gear with me on live gigs. Now that I've had a taste of it, I just can't go back to the TD50 factory pre-sets!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post

Dude! I had Nick74 help me set up my laptop with BDF3 and the Neil Peart expansion pack from ESoundz. Holy crap what an amazing kit! Well worth the money and no way in hell the built in kits from TD50 come anywhere close! However, very technically complex to set up if you are not a technofile which I am not. I would never have been able to do this by myself and I intend on taking this gear with me on live gigs. Now that I've had a taste of it, I just can't go back to the TD50 factory pre-sets!

Comment

Probably time to stop replying as not a single reply from the author of this thread!
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                        Probably time to stop replying as not a single reply from the author of this thread!
                        yes. perhaps now planning for an upright bass for a band with elements of jazz and rockabilly as part of its aesthetic?
                        Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Working...
                        X