Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-layer/velocity sample packs: which sampler/VST/host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-layer/velocity sample packs: which sampler/VST/host?

I've been looking at various multi-layer/velocity sample packs from Drum Drop, etc. and they seemed to be focused on Kontakt. However, Kontakt doesn't seem to be very e-drum friendly, at least not DTX friendly, where you have to MIDI learn everything and no inherent articulation/sensitivity/adjustments (like hi-hats) that the better drum VSTs/samplers have (SSD5.5/SD3/AD2, etc.).

SSD 5.5 support confirmed that SSD5.5 doesn't support multi-layer/velocity samples, only one-shots, unless you buy their expansion packs.

How about SD3 or AD2? EZD?

Should I bite the bullet on Kontakt? The Drum Drop libraries are really inexpensive and sound great, with unique tunings, etc. that are sorely missing from SSD5.5, which to me sounds too processed and "radio rock".

Originally posted by gravyface View Post
    no inherent articulation/sensitivity/adjustments (like hi-hats) that the better drum VSTs/samplers have (SSD5.5/SD3/AD2, etc.).
    I can make all sorts of features available for Kontakt drum libs (even Cym Choking and Positional Sensing)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post

I can make all sorts of features available for Kontakt drum libs (even Cym Choking and Positional Sensing)
      You also seem to enjoy spending an inordinate amount of time tweaking all of this, others, such as myself, have limited time available, and just want to sit down and play drums.

Comment

Originally posted by gravyface View Post

You also seem to enjoy spending an inordinate amount of time tweaking all of this, others, such as myself, have limited time available, and just want to sit down and play drums.
        Then why don't you just play a-drums or e-drums with module sounds? MimicPro would be capable sounding quite nice and having a "switch on" button. You cannot expect there are software drums (for which you want to pay only a fraction of the cost of a module like MP) out of the box working like a dream. The "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (egg-laying, milk-bearing woolly sow) simply does not exist in the software world. Even the expensive drum samplers show several and partially severe inadequacies that in my ears scream for compensating.
        Last edited by Nick74; 06-05-20, 10:29 PM.

Comment

The question was whether other drum software modules can load/handle multi-sample/velocity sample packs; price of said packs is irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
          X