Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best 3-zone (or larger) cymbal pad for getting good ride articulations (Superior 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best 3-zone (or larger) cymbal pad for getting good ride articulations (Superior 3)

Hi guys! A lot of people have mentioned that the CY-13R which I have (and currently don't use as a ride.. my main ride is a PCY-135), is not big enough for getting the nice ride cymbal triggering experience.

I am curious what other models might be good... the CY-15R? ATVs? (I don't see any specific cymbal pads available in their store)... Jobeky like Luke / DrumAngle plays? Yamaha PCY-155?

I'm just looking for a bigger surface area that can get all the articulations I need... edge, bow, and bell... or velocity-switching bell (fairly easy to do with Superior 3)... any help is greatly appreciated!

-Chris
    Last edited by bcmusic; 05-28-20, 11:00 PM.
    Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
    DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
    Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
    youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

The hard one is getting a reliable bell. In that regard and in my opinion: CY-13R=CY-15R<ATV, unless you want to open up the 15" Roland and do the common mod. I'm guessing Jobeky's ride is very hit or miss - I wouldn't expect it to have reliable bell. Haven't tried the Yamaha one either. The issue is that the ATV is seriously expensive and price went even higher recently (440€ for 16"...). The new 16" thin Roland ride is available in a few weeks supposedly. Not sure if they improved the bell on that one but it's more affordable at 350€. Ι know I keep mentioning it in every thread, but you can use the digital ride without a TD-50/27. If you can find a cheap used one (250-300€), it's the best - but considerably louder than the others.
    Last edited by Excessium; 05-27-20, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Ok... you've GOT to tell me how to get a digital trigger pad connected to a regular 1/4" jack on an older module. Please please please. Was considering the CY-18DR, but would need a crazy module for that. How in the world does one connect a USB cable to a 1/4" port?
      Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
        know I keep mentioning it in every thread, but you can use the digital ride without a TD-50/27. If you can find a cheap used one (250-300€), it's the best - but considerably louder than the others.
        hey Excessium
        is there any chance u could post a vid that shows how well the digital snare and ride perform when you hook them up as you have?

EDIT: apologies- I asked you this recently and you responded with some very helpful info. i’m sure having a memory was good when i had one, tho i can’t quite recall ...
        Last edited by jackodrum; 05-28-20, 06:13 PM.
        Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by bcmusic View Post
          I'm just looking for a bigger surface area that can get all the articulations I need... edge, bow, and bell... or velocity-switching bell (fairly easy to do with Superior 3)
          Do you mean the bell should velocity-switch 2 sounds (so to say 2 articulations)? Then I can therefore provide an engine (a bell won't vel-trigger 2 sounds in default state - it sends 1 midi note only): " - dynamic stages trigger different sounds (e.g. your snare rim cannot split notes for "rim click" and "rim shot", or you want two "dynamic zones" trigger two different sounds on one pad." (LINK)

...A big ride delivering great feel and detailed Positional Sensing? The ATV 18"!

Comment

Yes, I read that the velocity-switching is entirely possible. I'll check out the link.

ATV stuff, still $$$$$$$$$$$ haha.

I'm really, really curious how Excessium got the CY-18DR working.... I know you can plug it in directly to the computer, but in that case, you can't customize the trigger sensitivity/threshold, etc.

Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

ATV stuff, still $$$$$$$$$$$ haha.
              And Roland not? If you've played the ATV bell and noticed its very silent noise (unlike the Roland 18" ride) and the ingenious feel you propably will fetch $$$$$$$$$$$ for it.

Comment

I have a Yamaha PCY155, and it works great.

Comment

I have the Yamaha PCY155. I find it a little hot spot when playing right over the piezo.

But, if you want to upgrade your TD6 to 2020 without breaking the bank, check out eDRUMin. You could daisy chain to your module, since it has midi in, and get amazing triggering tweaking. A few people here mentioned that the bell triggering was very much improved on Roland rides, and able to do it using a single input jack, not two.
                  DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

+1 for PCY155. The bell, bow and edge trigger beautifully with the eDRUMin
                    Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

I like eDRUMin a LOT and will probably buy at least one of them, for the bell-sense stuff and to add to my TD-9. Absolutely.

And yes, the Roland is expensive but the ATV is literally almost $100 more. And it appears to be sold out in a lot of places.

PCY155, eh? I have a 135 I use as a ride currently. Great edge response... bow annoying because if I go too close to center, I get edge sounds. Superior 3's default is "bow and edge" when plugged into the ride input of my TD-9. Which is fine, because I'm more an "edge" ride guy than a "bell" ride guy (blame it on the punk upbringing). But, I'd love to have all three.

Just trying to think of the best solution... don't know!
                      Last edited by bcmusic; 05-28-20, 10:59 PM.
                      Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

I'm really, really curious how Excessium got the CY-18DR working.... I know you can plug it in directly to the computer, but in that case, you can't customize the trigger sensitivity/threshold, etc.
                        I do just plug it in with USB, nothing fancy. Threshold seems to basically be equivalent to 0 on a module, so it picks up the really light hits just fine. You can change the sensitivity in superior drummer yourself through the velocity curve. One thing, which is a non-issue for me, is that you now have cross-talk if you are using a rack. Combined with the 0 threshold, this means that when I'm crashing on the cymbal close to my ride, it will trigger some low velocity hits on my ride (5-10/127) that I can't even hear while I'm playing. Gating the really low velocities (essentially simulating a "threshold" setting) would fix that. It's missing some more settings which I wouldn't use anyways, so I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                          you can use the digital ride without a TD-50/27.
                          You get three different midi notes for bow, bell, edge? But Positional Sensing will be missing, won't it!?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post

You get three different midi notes for bow, bell, edge? But Positional Sensing will be missing, won't it!?
                            Exactly. Bow, bell, edge, choking (even with the "hand-on-bow" thing) work fine, but you don't have CC data so no PS.

Comment

Ok... you've GOT to tell me how to get a digital trigger pad connected to a regular 1/4" jack on an older module. Please please please. Was considering the CY-18DR, but would need a crazy module for that. How in the world does one connect a USB cable to a 1/4" port?
                              He doesn’t plug it into a module. He’s plugging it into his computer and triggering VSTs.
                              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                              X