Beginner VST Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner VST Questions

I'm new to the forum, and also in the world of electronic drums. And I have some doubts.
    I bought a Roland TD27 and am waiting for delivery.

I see a lot of people commenting on the machine gun sound of electronic drums, and for that, it is usually suggested to use a VST such as (SuperiorDrummer, EzDrummer, Addictive Drums, etc) .....
    Some questions:

-To use the sound of these programs, will it always be necessary to use the drums connected to the PC?
    -Wouldn't there be problems with delay and latency, since the sound has to go to the PC, then go to the phone?
    -In these programs, would I be able to create a kit eg: (zildjian k series cymbals, ludwig drums, etc.) and export this as a kit and import it into the electronic drum, to avoid this delay / latency problem?

Thank you very much guys, for all the help.

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Originally posted by Weskey View Post
    I'm new to the forum, and also in the world of electronic drums. And I have some doubts.
    I bought a Roland TD27 and am waiting for delivery.

I see a lot of people commenting on the machine gun sound of electronic drums, and for that, it is usually suggested to use a VST such as (SuperiorDrummer, EzDrummer, Addictive Drums, etc) .....
    Some questions:

1. To use the sound of these programs, will it always be necessary to use the drums connected to the PC?

2. Wouldn't there be problems with delay and latency, since the sound has to go to the PC, then go to the phone?

3. In these programs, would I be able to create a kit eg: (zildjian k series cymbals, ludwig drums, etc.) and export this as a kit and import it into the electronic drum, to avoid this delay / latency problem?

Thank you very much guys, for all the help.

PS: Sorry for my bad english
    hi there. i’ve numbered ur questions...

1. yes (but see 3)

2. there is latency. depending on ur equipment (e.g. interface) it is not necessarily a problem (not for most people on these forums for e.g.)

3. u can import sounds into some modules (sorry - don’t know about the td27) but there are limitations. good vsts have many layers (hits on the same pad at the same velocity and at different velocities) - you lose a lot of these when u import sounds

i doubt your td27 will have a machine gun problem. if ur new, i’d advise enjoying the kit as is for a few months, perhaps years, before worrying about vsts. there might be vex kits for the td27 in the near future and they might be a better first upgrade. give it a bit of time first and your ears will guide you
    Last edited by jackodrum; 05-09-20, 02:44 PM.
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

1. Yes.
      2. Possibly
      3. No.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

The most important thing you need for vst’s is a sound card capable of delivering extremely low latencies. A regular PC sound card will not be good enough for this. Basically you should spend more money on the sound card than the PC.

I’d stick with the TD27. It sounds decent.

Unless you really want extremely realistic sounds and are prepared for frustrations and a steep learning curve.

VST’s won’t be just plug and play.

Comment

I would suggest you setup your TD27 and enjoy it for awhile. If you want more, start reading the many threads here on VST software/setup and see if it is something you want to pursue. A $200 used PC with an i5 (any generation) will run Superior Drummer with no issues. As others stated, you will need a low latency card. You can find used RME (top of the line) cards in the $300-$500 range or buy a new model from many other vendors for about the same price. To buy a used PC, soundcard, and Superior Drummer 3 I would plan on a budget of $1000 to $1500 on average. Setup is not difficult and Superior Drummer has presets that make it essentially plug and play for most edrum brands. Whether or not this is "worth it" to you is only something you can decide. Many people love them and wouldn't be without them while others that find them a waste of time, money, and a source of frustration.

Comment

You can be smart and find outdated hardware for an inexpensive price. Example: (2014) 4th gen i7 CPU + [Mainboard with PCI slot + "M-Audio Delta192" or "-2496" soundcard] or [Mainboard without PCI slot + "Focusrite Saffire Pro14" + FirewirePCIeCard]. This machine will be capable to run the latest audio/drum software without any issues and will propably cost you under $700. (I can provide personal hard- and software support). There is not only SuperiorDrummer but many other options: also check out the tools you already mentioned + BFD3 and especially these GGD kits Link + Link if you like heavier styles. IMHO it will be worth to go into this matter because the sounds are light years away from what's coming out of a TD module.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
              You can be smart and find outdated hardware for an inexpensive price. Example: (2014) 4th gen i7 CPU + [Mainboard with PCI slot + "M-Audio Delta192" or "-2496" soundcard] or [Mainboard without PCI slot + "Focusrite Saffire Pro14" + FirewirePCIeCard]. This machine will be capable to run the latest audio/drum software without any issues and will propably cost you under $700. (I can provide personal hard- and software support). There is not only SuperiorDrummer but many other options: also check out the tools you already mentioned + BFD3 and especially these GGD kits Link + Link if you like heavier styles. IMHO it will be worth to go into this matter because the sounds are light years away from what's coming out of a TD module.
              Oh, nice share. I came here with my piece of advice but you totally nailed it. I guess I can find some use for my old PC which just collects dust in the garage, by the way, it has exactly an old i7 CPU. That would be a miracle if I could connect my Alesis kit as mentioned here with it (I mostly use Mac now).
              Last edited by FairPlay; 05-15-20, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Get the kit set up and enjoy it. Then if you still fancy going the vsti route take another look. I think you will probably be surprised how good the td27 is.
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                  Get the kit set up and enjoy it. Then if you still fancy going the vsti route take another look. I think you will probably be surprised how good the td27 is.
                  Agreed.
                  You can change the sounds in the TD27, even layer Instruments and add Samples (which makes the Snare and Kick sound Fat). Go there first. Come back for the VSTs later.
                  Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Working...
                  X