EZdrummer "presets"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZdrummer "presets"?

i have both ezdrummer2 and addictive drums2 but i know nothing about anything when it comes to compression/eq/mic placement/any of that

i've been able to find some settings presets online for AD2 but nothing of the sort for EZdrummer

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere i could find that sort of thing or even basic tips on how to make my own

been playing around with loading kits into my strike module but would like to get better at it

thanks!
    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

On doing it yourself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGC2fUAU1M

gives a very very cool overview.

I do not own any program you use, therefore:
    Best way is recording a track or play back a loop and then messing with all available eq and compressor, to get a feel what differs after you have altered settings, play with it eq and compression use presets inside your programs.

Most important information: since you use already a recorded drum kit, they have already been altered with eq heavily, often to some degree even with compression, you cannot get rid of those already made mix decisions.

It is therefore way better to choose a kit piece/sound which is already in the realm/ballpark you like it to be; sure you can tune (in a certain range) kit pieces, but very often the sounds suffers and falls apart.

1. Therefore, always find the kit pieces/sounds that will work in your mix, you already enjoy or cut through while playing to a song.

Fix it in the mix with eq or compression is bull****, always fix or choose the appropriate sound or the source first. You can only tweak to certain degree, before the results suffer. You have to compare a lot, I always play different songs via ITunes or you tube that I know where I am to calibrate my hearing or to reset it.

2. play or make sure you play in the right velocity range, the drum sound changes big time when you hit harder or softer, I very often underestimated a snare or kit pieces because I used the non appropriate velocity or articulation, often they differ brutally.

3. Then play!!!!!!! with or listen through different mic channels, the mic distance is fixed btw. you can only add/reduce the amount of volume from different mics.
    You can compare the different mics around the kits (mics channels) as different personas with way different hearing abilities. It some cases it is spot on to your hearing experience when you would be placed there while listening.

This is very important, for later Zeppelin Sounds you need to crank overheads and room mics, quite the opposite with dry funk sounds of the 70s, there you will mostly use the mics placed near to you drum kit.

4. Mostly you can see in the description of the sample pack what mics have been used: search what mic types they are!!!!

Rule of thumb: 3 main mic types

dynamic mics: reduced treble, gritty, a lot of midrange, punch, rocky sound, often tend to be boxy, but this cuts in a mix.

condenser mics: reduced midrange, a lot of treble often harsh, when they are cheaper or record very treble heavy cymbals like Paiste b8 or Zildjian A, very much room information, smooth

ribbon mics: very human perceived midrange, natural, very smooth highs, you can/they get treated with eq a lot and do not suffer, they are often woolly, but this already been fixed with eq by the sample pack offerings. Often the tame a lot and can be a bit boring without additional other mic types added, they kind of even out/level things.

This means:
    You perceive your drum sound too dull and dry => first turn up the volume of the condenser overheads.

The drums sound harsh, roomy and boomy => you reduce overheads, perhaps use overheads channel (when they are available) which offer ribbon mics.

The snare sounds dull => get the wire mic placed under the snare up.

The snare is too ringy => reduce overhead mic channel and or mic on the top of the snare.

Hi-hat feels separated feeling wise, there is even latency or you perceive flams => reduce hi-bleed in other mic channels and kill hi-hat bleed.

Whole kits sounds non rocking, you are not sure how compression works, sounds and feels?
    When available crank faders which often are named trash, 1176....often you cannot even play with dynamics the noise and artifacts level increases dramatically.
    Last edited by Ribot; 05-03-20, 05:57 AM.
    Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

been playing around with loading kits into my strike module but would like to get better at it
      OT: Is it still limited to 200 MB per kit? I can't imagine you really can get better with this limitation. IE the variable hihat alone will take 200 MB...

Comment

yeah that limitation is still there. i've been able to load 5 piece kits with 5 cymbals into it from ez and ad already. one was just the basic ez2 set which is all right and the ad on is a "metal preset" i found online that sounded good in the context of the song it was used with but on it's own it's too roomy/boomy.

trying to get better at figuring the mixing out on the vst first because it takes like an hour with my piece of **** laptop to load the kits into the module, so trial and error approach is frustrating because it's such a time sink and that just takes away from just playing/practicing.

also there are a lot of great sounds in the module already so while i'm trying loading full kits into it at the moment i think my end goal will probably just be using a mix of module sounds with a few VST ones added to mix in. i've also seen some people trying to circumvent the size limitations by just reducing the total amount of velocities used. i don't need the thing to sound like superior 3, i wasn't going to buy SD3 anyway, i'm coming from a TD-6 so even stock sounds are light years ahead of that.

Ribot thank you for the lengthy post and the video recommendation. i'll check it out and try playing with my VSTs using some of your recommendations!
        Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Anybody using SDSE to Export the samples?

It makes kits automatiicaly for the Strike, below 200MB.
          They Sound very good, of Course you loose a lot of layers due to space limitations.
          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I haven't used EZDrummer in a long time but as far as I remember there is very limited mixing potential available and what you could change was "hardcoded" in the preset, i.e. a preset might allow you to change a couple of things but you didn't really have access to the individual channels, EQ or any particularly useful plugin other than compression. If it is indeed like that, Superior Drummer would give you a lot more room for experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
              Anybody using SDSE to Export the samples?

It makes kits automatiicaly for the Strike, below 200MB.
              They Sound very good, of Course you loose a lot of layers due to space limitations.
              yes that is what i've been doing, just trying to get better at editing the kits before doing that portion

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                I haven't used EZDrummer in a long time but as far as I remember there is very limited mixing potential available and what you could change was "hardcoded" in the preset, i.e. a preset might allow you to change a couple of things but you didn't really have access to the individual channels, EQ or any particularly useful plugin other than compression. If it is indeed like that, Superior Drummer would give you a lot more room for experimentation.
                superior drummer alone without any SDX costs about $100 less than i paid for my module, and my laptop is an old piece of crap VAIO running ****ty windows 8 that is at least 6-7 years old. i'm sure that it's better but at that cost it was never something i was considering, without even factoring in that my PC is probably too crap to run it well anyway.
                Last edited by winterson; 05-04-20, 09:50 AM.

Comment

BTW, SDSE exports around 30 Snare Samples, 15 additional Rimshot Samples and some Sidestick, for under 200MB. Pretty decent.Not amazing, but surely playable.
                  Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Working...
                  X