X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Toontrack" variable hihat --> "stepping": unwanted open sound FIX

No more hihat "stepping" issues!

When you are stepping the hihat and suffer from unwanted open sounds ("pedal splashes") you can have this annoying behavior fixed!​

The Hihat Engine of the drum software manufacturer "Toontrack" along with the MIDI output from e.g. Roland modules is ineligible for "stepping" (= fast and continuously played pedal notes). The same operating principle which provides "hihat splashes" will add unwanted open-(pedal-)sounds when playing "stepping" hihat lines.

My workaround* provides the ability to swap the hihat engine while playing (e.g. per pad stroke) : if you want to produce "hihat splashes" you'll have to choose the original "Toontrack" engine ; if you want to play the "stepping" you'll have to switch to my hihat engine which won't allow transitions triggered by sheer hihat controller data.

My hihat engine part is individually settable to achieve any controller translation possible and therefore will match one-to-one with the set translation in e.g. "Superior Drummer".​

I'm sharing my workaround for free and will individually set it up for your hihat pad/controller/curve (you are invited to donate to keep me providing software fixes and personal support). PM when interested.

*system requirements: Host DAW: "Cubase (Artist or Pro)" or "Logic Pro X" or "Reaper" or "Ableton Live (Suite)" or "Bidule" (Reaper & Bidule are most affordable, you can try the Demo versions of all mentioned hosts for free)
    Last edited by Nick74; 08-11-20, 03:19 AM.

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
    Host DAW: "Cubase (Artist or Pro)" or "Ableton Live (Suite)" or "Bidule" (Bidule is the most affordable (95$), you can try the Demo versions of all mentioned hosts for free)
    Which of these do you recommend? Cost saving is always great, but I don't mind spending more if its a better user experience and has more options.

Comment

Reaper is the most affordable one. And if you don't need track sequencing then Bidule will be a great choice! Soooooo powerful regading MIDI!

AL simply can do what other can't! (check for instance Ableton Drummer) (disadvantage: cymbal choking in e.g. SD3 won't work because AL does not reckognize Poly Aftertouch --> Cym choke will only work in AL "Drum Rack" or AL "Sampler" by using a workaround)

Cubase is great when working with midi (drum) editor.
      Last edited by Nick74; 08-11-20, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
        If you don't need track sequencing then Bidule will be a great choice! Soooooo powerful regading MIDI!

AL simply can do what other can't! (check for instance Ableton Drummer) (disadvantage: cymbal choking in e.g. SD3 won't work because AL does not reckognize Poly Aftertouch --> Cym choke will only work in AL "Drum Rack" or AL "Sampler" by using a workaround)

Cubase is great when working with midi (drum) editor.
        I have never used a DAW. What is track sequencing? All I care to do is have the best hi hat functionality possible and to be able to record my playing so I can scrutinize/review my technique.

Comment

You can record with all mentioned DAWs but Bidule does not feature an "arranger" where tracks are layered and a "play cursor" shows the playback/record point on the time line (track sequencing). Bidule is a modular DAW: you can connect virtual modules with virtual cables.

Comment

Here's some video stuff from people who criticized the issue (until they got it fixed using my workaround).

"SD3_pedal issue_video" : the last 2 pedal strokes in the video were played as dedicated "Pedal Splashes". Before them there was stepping with increasing tempo.

Modules were Roland (TD-27).

Comment

Hello community,

To share my experience, I had this issue: Toontrack HiHat Engine is bad (you can check my issue on the video, bad artefacts, unwanted open pedal sounds when playing "stepping" etc...).
              I'm using Roland TD27 (FD9 with CY15R for HiHat).

I would like to thank Nick74 for its workaround which is perfectly working fine, good job !!
              He also offers a very fast and good support !

Now I have pleasure to play on my HiHat

Comment

hey Nick74,

I am definitely having this issue with my VH11 with SD3.

is this an easy process to fix... I’m willing to dig in and fix it.

is there an installation process to the hi hat engine you’ve created?

[QUOTE=Nick74;n1225537]​No more hihat "stepping" issues!

When you are stepping the hihat and suffer from unwanted open sounds ("pedal splashes") you can have this annoying behavior fixed!​

The Hihat Engine of the drum software manufacturer "Toontrack" along with the MIDI output from e.g. Roland modules is ineligible for "stepping" (= fast and continuously played pedal notes). The same operating principle which provides "hihat splashes" will add unwanted open-(pedal-)sounds when playing "stepping" hihat lines.

My workaround* provides the ability to swap the hihat engine while playing (e.g. per pad stroke) : if you want to produce "hihat splashes" you'll have to choose the original "Toontrack" engine ; if you want to play the "stepping" you'll have to switch to my hihat engine which won't allow transitions triggered by sheer hihat controller data.

My hihat engine part is individually settable to achieve any controller translation possible and therefore will match one-to-one with the set translation in e.g. "Superior Drummer".​

I'm sharing my workaround for free and will individually set it up for your hihat pad/controller/curve (you are invited to donate to keep me providing software fixes and personal support). PM when interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumanimal15 View Post
                  hey Nick74,

I am definitely having this issue with my VH11 with SD3.

is this an easy process to fix... I’m willing to dig in and fix it.
                  The hihat engine fix is quite complex...

Originally posted by Drumanimal15 View Post
                  is there an installation process to the hi hat engine you’ve created?
                  It is based on DAW projects (Cubase, LogicProX, Bidule, AbletonLive, Reaper). So loading the project basically is the "installation".

Last edited by Nick74; 08-06-20, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Let’s do it! It would be much appreciated if you could share it. Also how can I donate?

Comment

Working...
                    X