No announcement yet.

Jobeky/Diamond Electronic Drums to VST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your reply. How about 3 eDRUMin modules and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2/2i4?

Comment

there are a few guys running 3 and 4 eDRUMins and they sound happy. read the eDRUMin thread here and also the eDRUMin forums.

as for connections, all the eDRUMins and the scarlett connect to your computer by usb. it’s better to connect the eDRUMins direct to your computer because they use power from it

personally i would buy the 2i4 over the 2i2 so you have other midi options if you want them in the future (whether recording / jamming yourself or with others)
      E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

Multiple eDRUMins and a Focusrite Scarlett (2i2 or 2i4) would definitely be a solid way to go... Pair those with a good laptop (Windows or Mac) and you’re off to a solid start. Just be sure to have enough USB ports natively on the laptop as eDRUMins and audio interfaces tend to behave better without a USB hub in the mix...

Back to the laptop - I’d personally recommend a quad core CPU, 16GB of RAM (8GB bare minimum), and an SSD drive for the core application. Most VSTs can and do load the selected kit samples into RAM So you can get by with storing your complete sample libraries on standard SATA (although load times can be slower as a result). But keep the core app on SSD and ensure you have 3-4GB of available RAM for caching and triggering if you want optimal results.
        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. That's really helpful!

It's hard finding quad cores in laptops these days, it's not in the numbers so hard to tell quickly if something is suitable. Many of the tablet/all in one laptops seem to have 2 cores?

Definitely prefer a touchscreen, not bothered about the screen size but want it to have no keyboard/a removable keyboard or one that folds behind. It needs to be upgradeable ability to install 1TB SSD and more RAM.

I've not heard of anyone having problems with a USB hub. Does that introduce more latency?

Comment

I would prefer a used RME babyface over any (low budget) USB device. Benefits: latency, performance, driver maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
              I would prefer a used RME babyface over any (low budget) USB device. Benefits: latency, performance, driver maintenance
              I've noticed how many people are using these USB audio interfaces on eDrum forums bso I'm not worried, neither do I want to spend more than I have to.

Do USB hubs introduce latency?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJay View Post
                Thank you both for your replies. That's really helpful!

It's hard finding quad cores in laptops these days, it's not in the numbers so hard to tell quickly if something is suitable. Many of the tablet/all in one laptops seem to have 2 cores?

Definitely prefer a touchscreen, not bothered about the screen size but want it to have no keyboard/a removable keyboard or one that folds behind. It needs to be upgradeable ability to install 1TB SSD and more RAM.

I've not heard of anyone having problems with a USB hub. Does that introduce more latency?
                The eDRUMin interfaces need to be connected directly to the Mac/PC for any firmware updates. If you run multiple units, it could be a pain to push out an update to all of them if you’re on a hub...

Also, I used to run a Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB-C on a hub and had several performance issues until I added in a native USB-C PCIe card and ran direct to my DAW. Maybe it was just me, but my main takeaway was that in both scenarios running direct without any hubs proved to be less problematic.

As for PC specs - an i5 or i7 quad is certainly doable, but may be hard on your wallet. Although it’s not directly required, I’d still recommend my advised specs because you’ll want to minimize any bottlenecks in the path and you can get choked up on CPU resources depending on how big of a kit and how many layers / effects you decide to run and trigger.

With just a quick search on eBay, I found a couple candidates that would do the job:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333467155017

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114017256715

Good luck with the build in any case...
                Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

I use a very old HP Zbook (2013 or so) that has an i7-4800MQ CPU. Runs SD3 like a champ and only cost me about $250 on eBay. Many of the older business grade laptops have quad core processors and are built like tanks. Downside is they are HEAVY, but if it's staying put then it's not an issue.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I've noticed how many people are using these USB audio interfaces on eDrum forums bso I'm not worried, neither do I want to spend more than I have to.
                    ...I can assure you that many people have no idea... BTW if you want a good sound you can also forget about those poor phone jacks on most cheap audio interfaces: makes no sense to me trying to get a good drumsound when using software drums and monitoring them with a 50 cent amp.

Comment

Okay, do I've ordered five eDRUMin modules because Dave at Diamond Electric Drums has agreed to add bow, bell, edge and choke to all cymbals.

This is the plan:

1/2 port (7) Module 1 & 2:
                      Drums
                      Top Left/Left Middle PD-8 Pads
                      Top Right/Right Middle PD-8 Pads
                      Bottom Left/Left Middle PD-8 Pads
                      Bottom Right/Right Middle PD-8 Pads
                      Left 108/Right 129 Rack Tom
                      22x18 Bass Drum/1616 Floor Tom with Legs
                      Cymbals
                      Cowbell

1 port (2) Module 2:
                      Drums
                      145.5 Snare
                      Cymbals
                      None

2 ports (10) Module 3, 4 & 5:
                      Drums
                      None
                      Cymbals
                      10 inch Splash
                      14 inch Hi Hat
                      18 inch China
                      18 inch Crash
                      20 inch Ride

Total ports: 19 (1 spare)
                      20 ports over 5 eDRUMin modules

My dilemma is that I need to mount the Roland pads in two rows of 4 above the two bass drum mounted toms and I don't know how to do it.

I'm stumped and I don't have a rack either.

Any thoughts?
                      Last edited by TheJay; 04-17-20, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I'd be very interested to know how Dave's cymbals perform, Jay. Could you take some picture or write a few words about them later on? There's next to no information about them.

Crazy that you have to order 5 eDrumin modules, nothing says eDrumin needs to develop a higher input module than that!

I think I need a sketch to fully understand how you want to mount the PD-8 pads... but I know you'd probably want to look at percussion mounts.

e.g. Millenium DA-250/257 Percussion Holder is the cheapest you could get away with, mounted to a cymbal stand each or one of these mounted to a cymbal boom you can tilt forward.

All Roland pads mount to L-rods of 10.5mm diameter or less.

◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I'd seen a those stands before but they don't have the right number of attachments/I'd be worried about getting the right spacing/the pads fitting next to each other. I don't want stands in front of the bass drum and also wouldn't allow two rows, with one row directly above the other (tilted down at a greater pitch for the ones at the top).

Dave is going to be creating a second bell on each cymbal for separation and blending it in with the main cymbal. Each cymbal will have two sensors.

I'll be glad to report back, but lots of issues to address first with hardware.

Comment

Okay, do I've ordered five eDRUMin modules because Dave at Diamond Electric Drums has agreed to add bow, bell, edge and choke to all cymbals.

Total ports: 19 (1 spare)
                            20 ports over 5 eDRUMin modules
                            Wow. Well that should be exciting.

My dilemma is that I need to mount the Roland pads in two rows of 4 above the two bass drum mounted toms and I don't know how to do it.

I'm stumped and I don't have a rack either.

Any thoughts?
                            My advice to you TheJay is to subscribe to the Gibraltar DIY channel on Youtube, there are YEARS of how to videos out there of Brent showcasing and building all different kinds of custom setups (and standard stuff) - and how to figure out the parts you need to do it.

I don't mean to sound flippant saying this -- but I don't have any quick and easy solutions unfortunately, and at the end of the day it needs to fit YOU and your sense of style. And your budget. Also you will be the one that needs to be able to "hit the targets" (the pads) when you reach for them.

So all I can really recommend is to take the time and research what you need and look at as many different pictures, videos, etc. as you can find. Eventually the ideas will come. I spent over a month researching to build mine, spec'd out 3-4 rack designs' parts I saw or thought up to figure out cost and what it would ultimately look/work like, and finally was lucky to find one rack design I could settle on that was almost completely "good to go" with not a lot of customization needed. But some was/will be needed.

I didn't know jack diddly squat about racks before 2 months ago. I'm pretty sure they hadn't invented them yet back when I was playing drums regularly last... But I could be wrong. Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet back then... . </extreme sarcasm>
                            Last edited by RetroRambler; 04-17-20, 01:11 PM.
                            My Diamond Electronic Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrb...WpdZQWrRYIHQRQ

My Diamond Electronic Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

curved 1.5" tubing can/could be sort of natural curve for toms to be mounted to. gibraltar GCSMS (super multi clamp very heavy duty) or GCRMS (less heavy duty but probably fine if they are not heavy) and some L rods, tom holders, or super L-rods would probably do it. But please do your own research, you have to be happy with the solution.

Gibraltar is just one co. that makes rack gear. There are others, Roland had their own, etc. Should probably find out what those pads had originally and start from there to see what is compatible.
                                Last edited by RetroRambler; 04-17-20, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X