Jobeky/Diamond Electronic Drums to VST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobeky/Diamond Electronic Drums to VST

Hello there, I started out thinking I would get the Alesis Strike Performance Drum Module and then Jobeky told me the ride cymbal wouldn't work with it.

Now so am thinking of getting something that will feed from the triggers of a hi-hat, snare, three toms, a bass drum, China, crash, ride, splash and cow bell to a laptop as it'll work out cheaper or a similar price to getting a module (650) but with results surpassing the Pearl Mimic Pro. I'd like a laptop with a touch screen that can have the keyboard flipped out of the way. I'm thinking Intel i5 generation 3 or 4, 8+GB RAM, 500-1000GB SSD on Windows 10. Does this sound like enough and is there anything else I am missing?

I have seen the Alesis Trigger iO and ddrum trigger interface. First off, they look almost identical in design with slight differences in colour. I suspect this is what I will need to plug the kit into but I don't think it has enough jack's? Can someone please confirm? If it doesn't have enough jacks, what are my other options?

Thanks for your help.

Alesis Trigger iO and ddrum trigger interface. First off, they look almost identical in design with slight differences in colour.
    Yes - they are the same.

I suspect this is what I will need to plug the kit into but I don't think it has enough jack's?
    Count the holes - how may you want?

preview.jpg
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

One more thing....

Do you really think a trigger to MIDI interface that is over 15 years old will be surpassing the latest and greatest module at the moment?

I'm sorry, but I think you are in for some major disappointment.

If I were you, I'd do some homework.
      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

The ddrum and Alesis I/O T2M interfaces have really sh!tty latency performance...

Check out stacked eDRUMin interfaces or a MegaDRUM interface if you want to go that route. Also keep in mind you’ll need a good audio interface if you want to go with a PC vs a Mac laptop to run your VST.

Bottom line - if aiming for the best sound experience is your goal, VSTs are the holy grail, but it’s not easily achieved on the cheap. I’d recommend sticking with a compatible module if this is your first dive into eDrums. And the Mimic is certainly a solid, yet somewhat premium option to get you there.
        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I've read good things about the Alesis Trigger iO. There are several people who report no latency and mention whilst there are 10 slots, it can be used for 20 inputs (don't know how but that would be enough for me).

I had already checked out the MegaDrum module and it is on my potential list, though it works out more expensive, so would have to be a lot better to justify buying one. What are the advantages other than lots of inputs?

If I did need other hardware, such as an audio interface, what should I get? I've read about RME, is there a particular model for this purpose?

Comment

The Alesis IO triggering is very poor. I had one of these I used along with my ddrum4 a few years ago and only used it for single shot sounds as it just wasn’t good enough for snare ride toms. It was impossible to configure to get good snare response. No chance of a decent roll
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJay View Post
              Thanks for your replies. I've read good things about the Alesis Trigger iO. There are several people who report no latency and mention whilst there are 10 slots, it can be used for 20 inputs (don't know how but that would be enough for me).

I had already checked out the MegaDrum module and it is on my potential list, though it works out more expensive, so would have to be a lot better to justify buying one. What are the advantages other than lots of inputs?

If I did need other hardware, such as an audio interface, what should I get? I've read about RME, is there a particular model for this purpose?
              Forget about "Alesis Trigger IO"! It's very close to e-waste: latency and trigger qualitity/settings are worst case scenario. MegaDrum is good at latency but even cannot reach Roland module trigger quality. What about two second hand TD11 modules in order to capture a huge kit (they already provide USB-midi what means a small latency advantage)? Something like this will be the cheapest way to get low latency and good trigger quality.
              And for laptop I would definitely go for nothing less than a good i7 CPU and a used RME babyface.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I'll steer clear of the Alesis Trigger in that case.

As I'm going to be connecting to a laptop/pc anyway and two TD-11s will cost around 600.00, I'd be better off going down the MegaDrum route, surely?

Then it's a case of choosing a laptop/PC. I've seen some small ones that might be suitable.

How about something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdel%C2%...1-4&th=1&psc=1

It says it can run up to 2.9/3.1GHz and people say they leave them on all the time.

Could I use my android phone instead of a monitor or am I going to have to get a touchscreen monitor as well?

Comment

As I'm going to be connecting to a laptop/pc anyway and two TD-11s will cost around 600.00...
                  Two TD11s? Eh? Where did that come in?
                  *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                  Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Ah, I see, so the TD11's TheJay asked about in my thread was as an alternative to using a Megadrum.
                    Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3

Comment

1 edrumin and 1 TD11 would do the job - for Metal Cymbals I would be very excited about the features of the edrumin (graphical user interface to see and tweak the trigger results).
                      Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I need positional sensing and looks like the TD-11 can't do that. Whether I go the MegaDrum or eDRUMin route, is an audio interface compulsory or can I just plug in via one of the inputs on a PC?

Comment

I need positional sensing and looks like the TD-11 can't do that. Whether I go the MegaDrum or eDRUMin route, is an audio interface compulsory or can I just plug in via one of the inputs on a PC?
                          both. You can, and should, plug the edrumin into the PC with USB. But for reasonable Latency and Sound quality you will need a Audio Interface (or very good Sound card in your PC).

You can combine TD11 and edrumin, so you have 4 chances for positional sensing or using pads not compatible with the TD11 (Yamaha), and lots of Spare Inputs on the TD11.
                          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

You can combine TD11 and edrumin, so you have 4 chances for positional sensing or using pads not compatible with the TD11 (Yamaha), and lots of Spare Inputs on the TD11.
                            Brilliant idea!

I would forget about that machine! I've tested an "i7 Mac Mini" and it was soooo weak at realtime performance!...

Comment

i understand the td11 has midi output thru usb

if that’s right, for triggering VSTs, you could:

connect td11 to ur computer via usb

connect eDRUMin to ur computer via usb

additionally, you would almost certainly want an interface to connect to your computer to listen to everything (via headphones or speaker) unless your computer has a great soundcard. connect the interface to your computer via usb

if you buy an interface that also has midi in and midi out ports, you could, as an alternative, plug the td11 into that instead (midi out of td11, midi in to interface). the reason to do this would be that it might make a difference to latency with the td11

re the megadrum, judging by comments on this forum it takes a lot of tweaking. if u like that, great. if you are more of a plug-and-play kind of guy, u might prefer the eDRUMin. i’ve never laid eyes on a megadrum but there are comments on the eDRUMin thread on these forums from people who have owned both
                              Last edited by jackodrum; 04-06-20, 04:05 PM.
                              Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X