Tom Mapping SD3 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Mapping SD3 Question

I am still building out my DIY kit, so I cant test and answer this question myself. I was hoping someone could help me out. On kits that have 3 mounted toms, which toms are mapped to tom 1 and tom 2? Lets say the kit has an 8, 10, 12. Which two would map to the Roland by default? I assume the floor toms are always tom 3 and 4 correct?

Depends on the MIDI map you select in SD3... I honestly don’t remember the default, but I can check with an unedited channel in the morning and post up results.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
      Depends on the MIDI map you select in SD3... I honestly don’t remember the default, but I can check with an unedited channel in the morning and post up results.
      I am using a TD50.

Comment

So I just looked at it with my TD-50. SD3 Core library with the Default mix and Ayotte Classic kit loaded. 3 rack toms. 2 floor toms. MIDI preset in SD3 to Roland TD-50. Roland TD-50 on a factory default channel.

1st rack tom to TOM1 input
        2nd rack tom to TOM2 input
        3rd rack - nada
        1st floor tom to TOM3 input
        2nd floor tom to TOM4 input
        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
          So I just looked at it with my TD-50. SD3 Core library with the Default mix and Ayotte Classic kit loaded. 3 rack toms. 2 floor toms. MIDI preset in SD3 to Roland TD-50. Roland TD-50 on a factory default channel.

1st rack tom to TOM1 input
          2nd rack tom to TOM2 input
          3rd rack - nada
          1st floor tom to TOM3 input
          2nd floor tom to TOM4 input
          Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I figured it would use the first two. Looks like I will have to create custom project files to use the larger toms. Maybe its my age and being a product of the power tom era, but I have never been into the smaller 8" and 10" tom sounds.

Comment

You will only need to make your own midi preset. Start with the td50 preset, modify and save as your own. You can then apply it to any other set. I’m opposite in that I like the small Toms. I find in most recordings these days you can’t tell the difference between most of the lower toms used. All very monotone
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
              You will only need to make your own midi preset. Start with the td50 preset, modify and save as your own. You can then apply it to any other set. I’m opposite in that I like the small Toms. I find in most recordings these days you can’t tell the difference between most of the lower toms used. All very monotone
              Thanks for the tip. With regards to the toms, can you clarify what you mean. Do you find the recordings of the toms in Superior hard to differentiate or that most toms used in modern music recording are hard to differentiate?

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                Thanks for the tip. With regards to the toms, can you clarify what you mean. Do you find the recordings of the toms in Superior hard to differentiate or that most toms used in modern music recording are hard to differentiate?
                Most toms in modern music not SD3 . There seems to be a sound that is always used these days which is warm and sort of non descript. In the past you had toms that rung out or has specific sounds like concert toms. Love those in SD3 by the way. Even drumeo seem to get the same sound. Don’t get me wrong it works well at times but just a lack of tonal differences
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Most toms in modern music not SD3 . There seems to be a sound that is always used these days which is warm and sort of non descript. In the past you had toms that rung out or has specific sounds like concert toms. Love those in SD3 by the way. Even drumeo seem to get the same sound. Don’t get me wrong it works well at times but just a lack of tonal differences
                  Call me old, but my music genre is mid-90's back.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post

Call me old, but my music genre is mid-90's back.
                    Can’t call you old. My music is 70s and 80s although I do listen to a lot more than just that.

Comment

Can’t call you old. My music is 70s and 80s although I do listen to a lot more than just that.
                      That is where the majority of my music is as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X