DAW Benefits over Standalone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW Benefits over Standalone

What benefits does one gain using a DAW such as Cubase LE vs just using Superior Drummer 3 as a standalone? What cool or useful features does it open up?

A DAW is a recording and playback device.

SD3 standalone is a musical instrument.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

If using SD3, there’s not much benefit unless recording tracks... That is of course if you’re only looking at using the VST for trigger playback. SD3, EZd2, and BFD3 have the benefit of being able to run in stand alone mode for those looking to just trigger sample engines for playback with their eDrums.

If you use SSD5, GGD, or any of the other VSTi sample engines, then a DAW or VST host is mandatory as they only work within other host apps that can receive and route MIDI and channel output through the audio interface.
      Last edited by rdubu; 03-23-20, 09:48 PM.
      Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

I would like to record my practice for review so that is a plus. I wasn't sure if there were any midi to sheet music type tools that can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
          I would like to record my practice for review so that is a plus. I wasn't sure if there were any midi to sheet music type tools that can be used.
          There are midi to score functions in DAWs but probably not the basic ones. I use Cubase and I think score editing is only in the pro version. Check out online as most DAWs have a comparison sheet which shows what features each version has.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
            You can do that with some standalone apps, like SD3.

In a DAW you can do so many things (for example combine 3 different Drums VSTs, HiHats from SD3, Toms from Addictive Drums, Snare and Kick from SSD5...or use 3rd Party FX Plugins and so on).
            Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

You can do that with some standalone apps, like SD3.

In a DAW you can do so many things (for example combine 3 different Drums VSTs, HiHats from SD3, Toms from Addictive Drums, Snare and Kick from SSD5...or use 3rd Party FX Plugins and so on).
              So each of those would be an VST instrument? I am looking at Cubase and their are different licensing tiers with various limits and one was VST instruments.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Comment

holzi is right, you can drop a vst 'instance' on a track and f.ex. use superior 2 (3) toms, Bfd-2 (3) snare on another track (with different reverb plug in)
                and superior SDX- 'x' for cymbals on yet another track.. (did this inside reaper) then -when edited- save everything as a 'song' on desk-top
                (it isn't a song, but a collection of plugins /settings) and when you double click the icon(s).. that kit is loaded.. (well, it's just one way to use it..)
                each plugin is licensed separately..
                Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

With SD3 you can ought to multiple tracks in the daw as well as add other instruments. A lot are fee. It’s easy to find vsti for piano bass and synth sounds pulse Cubase comes with its own general midi type module. You can bring in a track and play sling while recording and mix together, add other instruments, sing and whatever else you fancy. The options are nearly endless.
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

In Reaper you can use multiple VSTs on one Track, at the same time.
                    Very easy, no deeper recording/DAW knowledge needed.
                    Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I use Cantabile. I got into it for playing keyboards live. It can instantly switch VST's and presets by assigning buttons on pedals and midi controllers. There's a free version called Lite but you need the Solo or Pro version to record. The Solo version isn't very expensive. I use it to record midi which I can later bring into Reaper for multi-tracking.
                      Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Everything said here already should answer your questions...

In my scenario, for VST hosting only I use Cantabile Solo and it’s rock solid. I can load and manipulate 1 or several plugins if I need to and it can capture the midi performance as well

For full fledged studio multi-track editing and mixing - I use Cubase Artist. There’s a Pro version, but for me Artist is more than enough.

I will say that no matter what direction you go in, I’d recommend a physical mixer board to help manage everything. I’m sure a lot of guys would disagree here, but for me it’s absolutely essential and has made my entire setup so much easier to use.
                        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Not every host (and/or version) offers the same!...

So I'll give "Cubase Artist/Pro" benefits examples:

- note remapping (in case your drum sampler lacks this feature - e.g. EZDrummer2, most Kontakt drum samplers...).

- dynamic setting for each of the articulations (in case your drum sampler lacks this feature - e.g. EZDrummer2, most Kontakt drum samplers...) -> very important!.

- "Variable Hihat": high detail hihat CC remapping -> every input value can be changed into a wanted output value (in case your drum sampler lacks this feature - e.g. EZDrummer2, most Kontakt drum samplers...). You decide what pedal position will trigger a certain hihat open-closed stage. And skip stages of your choice if you don't want them.

- positional playing (in case your e-drum hardware is able but your drum sampler lacks "Positional Sensing" - e.g. EZDrummer2, most Kontakt drum samplers...).

- note switch (round robin notes): e.g. play two bassdrum sounds with one pad in order to get real doublebass feeling. But also different pads and not only bassdrum sounds are possible.

- dynamic stages trigger different sounds (e.g. your snare rim cannot split notes for "rim click" and "rim shot", or you want two "dynamic zones" trigger two different sounds on one pad. ...In case your drum sampler lacks this feature).

- "Variable Hihat" fixes: workaround for the Toontrack/Slate issue and its shaky sound artefacts. Fixes also everything else (like for example the GrooveAgent hihat).

- Playalong music with sync'd audio-, video-, drum editor tracks (practise by playing along bar-quantized loops).

- Play melody sequences on a single drum pad (with the additional software Bidule it is even possible to play/trigger orig. (hardware) synthesizers the way a synth player plays and not only samplers!). Be not only the drummer but also the synth player and make full and ready music.

...to be continued...

BTW: as you can see you can pimp up drum samplers that are pretty weak at e-drumming and make them powerful like a flagship drum sampler (like SuperiorDrummer). This is a very strong benefit of an able DAW!

------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
                          ...to be continued... :

- erase unwanted double (or more) triggers from cheap trigger hardware that lacks settings (suppress by time range): the main benefit could be that (imagine your module's trigger inputs are all plugged - no chance to plug a further Crash or s.th.) you can use for example an additional cheap Medeli cym pad connected to a cheap multi pad like Alesis "PercPad"...

- Cymbal choking: remap polyphonic aftertouch in order to reach any sampler's cymbal. Example: you just have mapped a different cymbal in your drum sampler and you want it to react on choking. Using this method you can also mute a cymbal by choking a not referring cym-pad or you can even choke it with all of your cymbal pads!

- A very basic one was still missing: Filter out crosstalk. A "TD1" user reported his crosstalk that can't be improved/eliminated by module. The simple fix is using a DAW!!

- If your e-drum hardware sends Ride Positional Sensing data but your sampler does not feature Cymbal PS you can have it anyway. I.e. drum samplers like BFD 2/3 can be played incl. (Ride) Cymbal PS!!

Last edited by Nick74; 05-31-20, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Nick, It sounds like you've really done the deep dive on Cubase Artist/Pro. A friend of mine who has a studio uses it also. To accomplish the above do you edit code or is it all done in the GUI?
                            Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Originally posted by dsteinschneider View Post
                              Hi Nick, It sounds like you've really done the deep dive on Cubase Artist/Pro. A friend of mine who has a studio uses it also. To accomplish the above do you edit code or is it all done in the GUI?
                              All done in the GUI (+ a handful of freeware plugins for some demands).

BTW you can achieve the same (and much more) (except the track sequencing stuff) by using the unbelievably midi-powerful modular DAW "Bidule". This will be even at a cheaper price.
                              Last edited by Nick74; 03-29-20, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X