This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD 5.5

Interesting stuff. Here’s the promo vid, wherein a number of new SSD kits and presets are demoed by an e-drummer: https://youtu.be/oPPDtAx0_Fs

I haven’t seen any documentation around the specifics of this new version, but I suspect it’ll be rolling out soon.
    Meet The Stewards!
    https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
    https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

$49 upgrade price from SSD4 or $99. There is a demo version on the site too. https://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd5/
    https://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd5/#SSD5FREE
    Last edited by Peter Warren; 03-18-20, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Any news if this will be ported to the Mimic?

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
        Any news if this will be ported to the Mimic?
        The Mimic is completely different but I would expect any new full velocity drumkits would be ported.

Comment

Free upgrade for owners of SSD5. Very interested to see if there’s any real improvement in MIDI management...
          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
            Free upgrade for owners of SSD5. Very interested to see if there’s any real improvement in MIDI management...
            Yes, some GUI improvement as well etc.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVey83vV7c
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPDtAx0_Fs
            Last edited by Chris K; 03-18-20, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Downloaded it yesterday. Free for SSD5 Owners is nice. 99 € for this Software is a steal.

So far I can only say it looks a little more like Software from around 2012, not like 1995 anymore.
              Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Spill the beans fellas, how does it trigger/play?

Comment

It triggers/plays pretty well. The default mixes are very production-focused, though, rather than edrum-focused (particularly for hats/ride).

This new version improves the midi mapping interface. It is still pretty terrible, but they at least added midi learn.

Has anyone been able to get variable hi-hat working? It looks like it is set up to respond on CC channel 4, but I haven't been able to get it work.

Comment

Free update ssd5.5 free as well.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by ladron View Post
                      It triggers/plays pretty well. The default mixes are very production-focused, though, rather than edrum-focused (particularly for hats/ride).

This new version improves the midi mapping interface. It is still pretty terrible, but they at least added midi learn.

Has anyone been able to get variable hi-hat working? It looks like it is set up to respond on CC channel 4, but I haven't been able to get it work.
                      I have a TD27 KV and I just used the TD30 preset and had to change the 2nd flr tom. Hats work pretty much the same as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaf Fan View Post

I have a TD27 KV and I just used the TD30 preset and had to change the 2nd flr tom. Hats work pretty much the same as before.
                        Must be something about my setup, then. I'm using two modules, and my hi-hat pad is handled by one, while the pedal is handled by the other (Yamaha-style vs Roland-style). Maybe it doesn't work unless there is a CC value at exactly the same time as a hit.

Comment

So I checked it out tonight and although MIDI learn is an improvement, it’s still a pretty rough exercise to map your kit just right. So I will say yes, it’s slightly better than the complete abortion that was the previous MIDI management attempt. But no, I wouldn’t call it good by a long shot.

As for triggering in general - works fine with my rig. No issues with general performance. Once MIDI and desired samples are all sorted, it triggers just fine, but that brings me to the next point;

The 5.5 library is somewhat expanded and the new kits aren’t bad at all. However, I still cannot stand the way they handle layering. For a release that touts new one shot samples as a holy grail for layering awesome snares, they have yet to make layering intuitive. And God help you if you want to layer a custom instrument / pad...

Here’s a prime example:

You want to add a 3rd rack tom. So first you go and set your MIDI up and ensure that all three toms have unique notes and that SSD is accurately seeing each note when you hit a pad. One note for 1st rack tom, one for 2nd, and one for xtra. Okay, so now you select and drop a nice 8” and 10” on the 2 standard rack toms and then proceed to drag a nice 12” tom sample on to the xtra tom slot. All good right? NOPE. NO. GO F YOURSELF... What just happened is that the XTRA slot is now STACKED on rack tom 2. Why? No f’ing reason. It just is. So now you need to go into edit mode and set the sample you picked for the xtra tom slot as an individual instrument. Why? Again, no f’ing reason. So okay, I’ll be your Huckleberry... Let’s go set up my side snare now. Sweet baby Jesus. I don’t even have enough time to get into that debacle. Let’s just say it’s still not quite there.

So I’ll say this - Is 5.5 better than 5? Yes. How much? Not much. Not much at all... I can certainly see why they gave it away to owners of 5 and why is soooo much cheaper than SD3. Because it’s soooo much worse to use...
                          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Agree with you rdubu. Very little change. I only have the free version as the sounds are not really my thing. I know they say they haven’t been processed but they sound nowhere near as natural as SD3. As far as free is concerned there are no more kits and it doesn’t sound any different. Can’t complain as it is free. A workable kit if you really can’t afford to pay. For me I use with my keyboard player who doesn’t want to buy SD3 so a good way of swapping ideas which will eventually be completed in SD3
                            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Pity. I don't think anyone will topple Toontrack's dominance but who cares as long as Toontrack continues to expand their library which they are undoubtedly doing. Between all of the SDX and EZX I don't think there is any genre or drum kit era not represented. Pearl picked the wrong partner. Toontrack in a module, wow that would be something.

Comment

Working...
                              X