Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior 2 to 3 - Hardware Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior 2 to 3 - Hardware Requirements?

My Superior 2.0 rig was built 6 years ago but it played 2.0 flawless. I had an older M-Audio card that is no longer supported, so I picked up a used RME HDSPe AIO card yesterday. Obviously, I am going to be installing Windows 10 and will move everything to SSD drives. From a CPU standpoint, is Superior 3 more taxing than Superior 2.0? I would prefer not to swap motherboards and CPU if it isn't necessary. I believe I am running an AMD in that PC but like I mentioned it ran 2.0 fine. What memory are you guys using? Is 8gb sufficient or is 16gb recommended? Memory is cheap, so I don't mind bumping that up.

If 2.0 was working fine and you've added an RME I'd say do the 3.0 upgrade and see how it performs. I have a feeling it will be just fine without any hardware changes. I've had good luck with 3.0 on a 2012 laptop and a good audio card. SSD is nice to improve load time but that's about it.
    ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
      If 2.0 was working fine and you've added an RME I'd say do the 3.0 upgrade and see how it performs. I have a feeling it will be just fine without any hardware changes. I've had good luck with 3.0 on a 2012 laptop and a good audio card. SSD is nice to improve load time but that's about it.
      Sadly, I just checked my mother board and it doesn't have a PCI-e for the RME, so I am stuck upgrading. I have an older gen i7 that is the family PC that I will relegate for Superior and build a Ryzen based system to replace the family PC. Those Ryzen CPUs can be had for under $89 (older of course) but still - wow.

Comment

What type of slots do you have csnow? There are (were) PCI versions of the HDSP cards before the PCI Express models and back when I was researching these I saw the same good things said about the PCI versions. Or did you mean you are out of spare slots?
        Last edited by RetroRambler; 01-26-20, 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling and clarity
        Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRambler View Post
          What type of slots do you have csnow? There are (were) PCI versions of the HDSP cards before the PCI Express models and back when I was researching these I saw the same good things said about the PCI versions. Or did you mean you are out of spare slots?
          They are PCI. I have already bought the card, so I am just going to move forward with a new build.

Comment

I think SSD and a fast audio interface are the most important upgrades. SD3 has all the extra mic and bleed samples plus all kinds of FX processing that will probably work better with a newer, faster processor/bus.
            Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

That’s odd you don’t have pci e. I do on mine which is older than yours. I am running SD3 on a 10 year old i7 960 overclocked to 4ghz (2nd generation) . Mine takes triple memory so I have 18gig and I also use an ssd. SD3 works great with my zoom l-20 audio interface. I can also use plenty of other vst instrument while SD3 is playing without a problem. I also have the full SD3 library loaded with all bleeds. The ssd3 allows faster loading times but has no impact on how SD3 then works once sounds are loaded. The ram is what counts for the size of the drum kit loaded.

so you don’t mention what the processor speed of your old pc is or what the motherboard is. Both make a big difference. I’m due a new one but I upgraded my memory and got the 960 cpu as I had a 920 before. All from eBay really cheap as they are old and it gave my pc a new lease of life. It will probably do me another year or two,
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                That’s odd you don’t have pci e. I do on mine which is older than yours. I am running SD3 on a 10 year old i7 960 overclocked to 4ghz (2nd generation) . Mine takes triple memory so I have 18gig and I also use an ssd. SD3 works great with my zoom l-20 audio interface. I can also use plenty of other vst instrument while SD3 is playing without a problem. I also have the full SD3 library loaded with all bleeds. The ssd3 allows faster loading times but has no impact on how SD3 then works once sounds are loaded. The ram is what counts for the size of the drum kit loaded.

so you don’t mention what the processor speed of your old pc is or what the motherboard is. Both make a big difference. I’m due a new one but I upgraded my memory and got the 960 cpu as I had a 920 before. All from eBay really cheap as they are old and it gave my pc a new lease of life. It will probably do me another year or two,
                I went back and looked at my order history with Newegg. It actually does have a PCI-E slot, I must have missed it at first glance. According to my order, I built that PC in 2011. The processor is an AMD Athlon II X3 Triple-Core 3.1 GHZ and the motherboard is an ASRock. I might give it a go and see how it performs. I can also get a top of the line processor of that era for that socket motherboard used on eBay about $30 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post

I went back and looked at my order history with Newegg. It actually does have a PCI-E slot, I must have missed it at first glance. According to my order, I built that PC in 2011. The processor is an AMD Athlon II X3 Triple-Core 3.1 GHZ and the motherboard is an ASRock. I might give it a go and see how it performs. I can also get a top of the line processor of that era for that socket motherboard used on eBay about $30 bucks
                  It’s got to be worth a shot. I got my cpu for around the same but uk pounds. I built mine in 2009! Can’t believe it’s still going strong. Win 10 works fine too. I did have the PSU blow a couple of years ago. I wasn’t sure if it had taken everything else with it but took a chance and bought a new one which was fine. I haven’t had an AMD cpu so not sure how they perform.
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Sadly, AMD, especially this era, performed substantially worse than their Intel equivalent.

Comment

8 Gigs of RAM is ok for drumming (not using a DAW with lots of effects and so on).

New Ryzen CPUs are a LOT faster than it`s Intel competition, but the models you get for 90$ don`t to that trick. Also the Intels until recently where far ahead on Single Core Speed, which seems to make a difference in Real Time Drumming.
                      Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I found a good deal on a Core i5 6600k on a Gigabyte G1 MB with 16gb of DDR4 memory. Having the faster SATA ports, M.2, and USB 3.1 will be a welcomed addition that I didn't have on the old AMD. The old girl served me well, but it is time.

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                          They are PCI. I have already bought the card, so I am just going to move forward with a new build.
                          Yep I don't blame you.
                          Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3

Comment

Working...
                          X