Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Drummer sounds VS EZDrummer 2

Hey all,

So I plan to buy Logic Pro, for recording demos in the garage, and already own a TD11k for the drums. I see that EZ Drummer is on sale at $90. Was getting ready to jump on it but then started looking at Logic Drummer, which comes with Logic Pro for $200. I wouldn’t be using either for the song writing features. Just for MIDI triggering, for recording demos.

Are the EZ Drummer2 samples that much better that it’d be worth grabbing at $90? Or is Logic Drummer comparable enough that it would make sense putting that $90 into the $200 price tag for Logic (which I need either way, regardless of which drum VST I go with)?

I will say that Logic Drummer sounds do seem decent from the YouTube videos I’ve seen, but no one ever seems to be talking about it in the same conversation as Ez Drummer, Superior Drums, Slate, etc, when trying to get better sounds from your e kit for jamming and recording.

There could be a reason nobody is talking about Logic Drummer. I just had to look it up lol.

I don't think it holds a candle to EZDrummer 2 tbh, but seriously; after trying loads of different VSTs over the years, the most important bit hardly anybody talks about is how well they actually feel to play when triggering live.

Once one removes all personal opinions on which VST sounds the best, one will always gravitate towards what feels the most natural in the drumsticks. For me, only Toontrack seems to have that magic - at least available - for many of their kits. I don't really launch AD2, BFD3 or SSD5 anymore, even though some of those drums are incredible to listen too, just not necessarily to trigger. I'm not saying every EZX kit has a natural feeling either. It's not as simple as the right VST - but the way the samples play with the MIDI - the probability is just higher with EZD2.

In terms of value, you are probably right about Logic Pro, but I see it as a greater risk... I'm not so sure you're getting great drums with Logic Pro as much as you're getting a great DAW with drums as an afterthought.

Tl;dr if you want to trigger drums, I would buy a drums VST.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

If your not using the features of logic then ezdrummer is standalone so would surely simplify things. Most DAWs come with drum plugins. My friend uses the steinberg one and it’s not bad but doesn’t compare to ezdrummer or SD3.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

If you want to save some money,

I'd get Addictive Drums, and Harrison MixBus as a DAW.

MixBus is more hands on, set up like a physical console, and with their tape saturation available on every channel, it's just so sweet for drums.
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

i love several ezdrummer 2 libraries, but couldn't map them to my multi 12 so i stepped up to sd3. if you can get everything to work between the two of them, not just jamming with the ezd2 sounds but also writing correctly mapped midi data with it then i say go for it. the sounds are awesome and are a great starting point (or ending point if you are super lazy or don't know how to mix). i found it fun and easy to use aside from that huge glaring flaw they built into it to sell more crossgrades.

Comment

EZdrummer 2 is excellent as already mentioned... but midi mapping can be an issue as well. Just depends on your module / setup. With the current specials online, you can nab it for around $70. We’ll worth it in my opinion.
            Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO | Mackie ProFX10v3 | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Thanks guys, all extremely helpful! Honestly answered all of my questions, so thank you. I went ahead and bought it, but now have another question... I'm pretty new to this, so wasn't sure on what you meant on the mapping issue. Would that mean I can't reassign sounds to pads? I'm on a TD11k, with two cymbals, so a lot of times I assign the top right rack tom to be a ride cymbal, then the actual cymbals (CR-8's) are crashes. Is setting up that kind of configuration an issue?

I haven't downloaded and activated it yet, so think I could return it... might keep anyways since it's only $90 and I do love what it can do, but would love clarification on the mapping issue before I download.

Comment

Basically EZDrummer 2 doesn't have the ability to MIDI learn. Although there is a Roland drum maps available (which take care of most assignments) you cannot remap MIDI notes.

For your scenario; this won't matter because you'll want to change the MIDI notes on your TD11 anyway, and it will reserve your layout between all the EZX kits.

If I were you; I would spend the time changing all MIDI notes in your TD11 to reflect Toontracks default map which works across most EZX addons. Do that once, and you'll never have to touch it again, just switch on and play.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

That's why I mentioned Addictive drums. It has a mapping learning tool, so the VST can adapt to the module's midi notes, not the other way around.
                  DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Working...
                  X