SD3 on external drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD3 on external drive

i’m planning to move the sd3 libraries off my macbook and onto an external solid-state hard drive. can anyone who has done / is doing this advise on their experience with hard drives - brand, size, etc?

to avoid confusion, i already have sd3 - i am looking to put the libraries on an empty drive that i purchase, NOT purchase sd3 new on an external hard drive.

thanks
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

I can't recommend a drive. I still use a good old spinning disk but you will get better load times with an SSD. All you do is copy the library onto the drive and then point SD3 at it. Simple as that.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

not enough info in your post.. ..check type of macbook pro (connection) should be at least usb-3.0/ usb-C ..
      read up on type of SSD and what is a 'smart' investment in the long run.. i am a 'samsung' fan.. nowadays more manufacturers make 'good' SSD's https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-...-to-take-care/
      Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-08-19, 06:06 AM.
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

thanks mkok and eric. much appreciated. i’ve done plenty of research on SSDs and read the toontrack info and forums on moving the library. i wanted to check here before spending my money - no substitute for 1st hand experience.

my macbook is fine with usb 3 but does not have usb c connection. but i am probably going to get a usb c SSD and use an adapter so it is forward compatible with any future laptop upgrades.

the samsungs get mixed reviews and some say they re more expensive but not really faster than competitors. but as you can imagine these reviews are not coming from e drummers using sd3
        Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

I tried it on an USB 2 external Hard Drive (OOOLD) before my new SSD came. It works, if you don`t mind waiting 30 secondes to Change your Kit
          While playing, it should be in Memory, so it does not matter as much
          A2E: PDP M5 Cherry Red, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland /ddt Triggersamaha Cymbals:PCY135, PCY155 Roland FD-9. TD17 and Audiofron eDrumIn Module. Triggering AD2, SD3 and SSD5.

Comment

Working...
          X