Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGD/Roland TD50 Hi-Hat MIDI Issue

Hi All,

I've dug through the forums a little bit and can't find the answer to my question, but I'm absolutely certain someone will know off the top of their head and it will be an easy fix. I've got a Roland TD50 kit, and I'm working on a project that involves using a GGD library (Modern & Massive). I have my module hooked up to the audio interface via MIDI, and I've been able to quickly and easily map just about everything in Modern & Massive except for the hi-hat. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but even when I map the hi-hat CC correctly in Modern & Massive, I can only get it to trigger a single value. For example, I can map the bow and edge MIDI notes to open hats in Modern & Massive, but using the hi-hat pedal will not change the triggering in such a way that I can play closed hi-hat sounds as well.

I'm sure there's something incredibly easy I'm missing here, so thank you in advance!

Are there no roland presets in the drumming VST/AU? Try them, pehaps reset modul, or calibrate hihat trigger settings with roland module, it has to be calibrated.
    Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Make sure you're mapping to the CC and not each articulation note. Also, with anything GGD - start by rotating through the auto maps until you have the hihat CC mapped, and THEN map each of the additional pads as needed. To make it easy, I generally pick a user channel in my module and map everything from that side vs remapping midi in the VST. That way the VST presets are always mapped correctly even if I shuffle through various kits...

All this said, as much as I love some of the samples in the GGD stables, I loath their interface and especially find the way they manage midi mapping to be horrendous.
      Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Hey Ribot, the only presets related to MIDI that I can find within the VST are the mappings. It has some defaults and GM works fine as a basis, but even when I detect the hi-hat CC and I can see the value changing in the VST, I can only get an always open or always closed sound. For what it's worth, the kit works absolutely fine and flawlessly in SD3.

Comment

Sorry I cannot help, I do not know GGD, never used it......in BFD3 it is called Key Map, in Superior it is called simply preset both map the hi-hat not that bad, you need mostly a little tweaking
          Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/getgooddrum...8387121874811/

mentions hihat, check it! 4:30

Comment

Hi Ribot, thanks for the link! I checked that video out as well, but it didn't help much, unfortunately. I think rdubu is on the right path with his thoughts. I noticed that while I'm able to auto map the pedal in the lower section of the mappings in Modern & Massive and watch the status change as I use the pedal, it looks like there's another mapping in the upper section for the CC as well, which is odd. I'm thinking this may have something to do with it. I know it has to be something ridiculously simple because I've configured SD3 with this module several times on different computers and it was a fast, easy process.

Comment

Why the hassle, use the daw, one track gedgooddrums muted/unloaded hihat, the other track superior 3.0 only for the hihat.
                Both tracks have to receive the same midi input information.
                I use it all the time this way with bfd3 (muted hihat and cymbals) and superior for hihat and cymbals which have choked cymbal sounds and better hihat playability. I doubt that getgooddrums has a cool hihat implementation as it seems to run within kontakt.
                I would use the best program for hi-hat which is superior 3.0 right now.
                Last edited by Ribot; 10-17-19, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I had a similar thought and actually just decided to track it all in SD3 (edit: truly, the tracking happens in the DAW) and then make sure the mappings line up. Unfortunately, since I think there's one small mapping thing that I'm missing, it sounds the same (all open or all closed, depending on how I map it in M&M). In most scenarios, I use SD3 and it's not a problem, but the leader of this particular project wants to use GGD, and I'm okay with going through the process and learning to make that happen for him.

rdubu, would you mind sharing a screenshot from your GGD mapping page? Given that you have a TD-30, I bet I can figure out what I'm missing or doing wrong just based on your settings. If you have Modern & Massive, that'd be awesome, but I'd be grateful for a pic from any of the GGD mapping pages.
                  Last edited by sleepytime; 10-17-19, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Best way here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqH7...B&index=2&t=0s

Comment

Originally posted by sleepytime View Post
                      rdubu, would you mind sharing a screenshot from your GGD mapping page? Given that you have a TD-30, I bet I can figure out what I'm missing or doing wrong just based on your settings. If you have Modern & Massive, that'd be awesome, but I'd be grateful for a pic from any of the GGD mapping pages.
                      Will do. I’m traveling but will pull up my setup when I get back home this weekend...
                      Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Thanks, MaXXXemo! That got me a lot closer (edge open/close and hi-hat splash is working now). Now I just need to nail down what to do in order to get the bow sensors working correctly.

Comment

yeah is a real pain the ggd for the mapping .. i hope they will be more friendly like SD3

Comment

Any GGD product is a PITA to setup mapping for.

I still have to play my toms without ever hitting my rims on GGD because my Megadrum is setup to output 3 zones and will occasionally send a rimshot instead of head. If I don't assign that, I get nothing. Whereas SD3 allows you to bind multiple notes to one articulation and isn't an issue. Maybe I should give in and make a config per VST, rather than making all VSTs use SD3 default mapping.

Why can't GGD just work with Toontrack ffs! Your samples are amazing but your accessibility is pitiful.
                            ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Thanks, rdubu. I'm 99% sure once I see how someone else has their Roland module mapped. Most specifically with reference to the hi-hat. Everything else works fine. Your VH-13 will likely be a little different from my VH-11, but I'm hoping I can figure out how to make it work.

I definitely understand your frustration, Kabonfaiba. I don't know anything about MegaDrum, but I wonder if your best bet is just to create a kit with its own MIDI parameters based around GGD (all three output zones sending the same note).

Comment

Working...
                              X