Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior Drummer 3 and sound cards

Good morning,
    I am using superior drummer 3 with my TD17 module. To listen to what I play, I am taking the audio-out from the headphone jack of the Roland module, because if I connect the headphones to my computer internal sound card, I noticed a bad latency (maybe because I am using the internal sound card driver. Maybe I have to try with ASIO4ALL).
    Anyway the audio out from the TD17 is very good.
    Now I was checking around to select a better audio sound card to connect to my computer to use maybe in the future with the MEGADRUM board too.
    I have some questions for some possible configurations.

Configuration 1 for SUPERIOR DRUMMER 3 with TD17 module and FOCURSITE SCARLETT 4i4

1) is it better to connect the "MIDI OUT" of the TD17 to the "MIDI IN" of the SCARLETT (and then the USB of the SCARLETT to the computer to driver SUPERIOR DRUMMER 3) or to connect the USB of the TD17 directly to the computer ? In the first case I will just need one USB to connect to the computer (the scarlett usb) and in the second case I will need to usb ports (scarlett + TD17

Configuration 2 for SUPERIOR DRUMMER 3 with MEGADRUM board and FOCURSITE SCARLETT 4i4

1) With the MEGADRUM board I will need to buy a sound board if I do not want to use the internal sound board of my computer. So as discussed above, is it better to connect the MEGADRUM to the FOCURSITE board or connect the MEGADRUM to the computer by usb and the SCARLETT to the computer on a second USB port ?

I hope I was clear in my questions.

Regards

I don’t know how the mega drum works or if it does midi over usb. I’m guessing since you ask it does. I run my td30 directly into my computer via usb for midi and use my zoom live track l-20 for audio. I would have thought that was better as it’s usb to usb for midi. If you went via the 4i4 then it would be midi out to midi in and then via usb. Seems like a longer path to me.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I've tried both configuration methods with Megadrum (it won't make any difference in latency) but since Megadrum gets its power over USB, it makes sense to use a single cable to your PC.
      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
      Community Drum Module Document
      PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
        I don’t know how the mega drum works or if it does midi over usb. I’m guessing since you ask it does. I run my td30 directly into my computer via usb for midi and use my zoom live track l-20 for audio. I would have thought that was better as it’s usb to usb for midi. If you went via the 4i4 then it would be midi out to midi in and then via usb. Seems like a longer path to me.
        Thanks for your reply. Yes, Megadrum has MIDI over USB, so if I understood correctly, you are suggesting me the following :

1) Connect the USB of the MEgadrum to the USB of the computer (to drive Superior Drummer 3)
        2) Connect the USB of the sound card to a second USB of the computer and take the sound out of the sound card.

Is it correct ?

Regards

Comment

That's correct overflow.

I don't know enough about the complexity of it all, but at the end of the day, both devices need to talk with the CPU and given the choice between two systems that look identically suitable you should probably pick the least complex strategy - as it'll be less to diagnose if things go wrong.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            I've tried both configuration methods with Megadrum (it won't make any difference in latency) but since Megadrum gets its power over USB, it makes sense to use a single cable to your PC.
            Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
              That's correct overflow.

I don't know enough about the complexity of it all, but at the end of the day, both devices need to talk with the CPU and given the choice between two systems that look identically suitable you should probably pick the least complex strategy - as it'll be less to diagnose if things go wrong.
              Thanks so much. Any suggestion on which sound board to buy for better latency than the computer internal sound (and with midi in and out even if I will not use them) without spending a fortune ?
              Should the 4i4 be good ?

Regards

Comment

i don’t have the possibility of going direct usb to computer so i can’t comment on the difference in latency. i go:

midi out of td9 or dtx12 (i have both) to midi in of scarlett 2i4 (if laptop) or 6i6 (if imac - i have both), then usb out of scarlett to computer.

headphones out of scarlett or cable out of scarlett to speaker listening to SD3

happy with the scarletts. haven’t tried the 4i4 but should be good
                Last edited by jackodrum; 10-08-19, 03:05 AM.
                Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
                  i don’t have the possibility of going direct usb to computer so i can’t comment on the difference in latency. i go:

midi out of td9 or dtx12 (i have both) to midi in of scarlett 2i4 (if laptop) or 6i6 (if imac - i have both), then usb out of scarlett to computer.

headphones out of scarlett or cable out of scarlett to speaker listening to SD3

happy with the scarletts. haven’t tried the 4i4 but should be good
                  Thanks so much for your reply. This is exactly what I wanted to try.
                  This mean that you drive superior drummer with the scarlett usb (since you connected the MIDI out of the TD9 to the MIDI IN of the scarlett) Is it correct ?
                  What about the latency when you hear the sound with the scarlett headphones or if you take the output from the cable out ?

Regards

Comment

just to be clear, i have sd3 on my computers, and trigger them with the e-kits. but yes, i connect from the scarlett to the computer thru usb. no problem with latency. i’ve never measured it, but i hit them, i hear them, i’m happy
                    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
                      just to be clear, i have sd3 on my computers, and trigger them with the e-kits.
                      Of course you have superior drummer on your computer and use the e-kits to trigger. I was just saying that you trigger superior drummer with the TD9 but through the scarlett usb.

Regards

Comment

you’re welcome

Comment

The thing is we're talking about the difference in MIDI latency which is never going to be higher than about 2ms. Where as just having an audio interface in the chain takes care of almost 20ms just by using manufacturers ASIO drivers with small buffers that don't pop or crash.

Overflow, yes the 4i4 is about the minimum you should spend unless you only need 1 output, I'm not that familiar with the USB C 3rd gen but I see no reason it would be worse latency than the previous 2nd gen, which was highly recommendable.

If you wanted a PCIe card then I would recommend this ESI MAYA44 eX - good price for superb low latency.

There aren't many more audio interfaces (USB or PCIe) out there that are cheaper and offer better latency performance, however plenty that are more expensive, with more features and channels.
                          Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 10-08-19, 09:58 AM.
                          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

I use a focusrite clarett 4pre USB-C and get about ~2ms of latency for output. I run my TD-30 module over standard USB direct to my PC and connect the clarett direct to the PC over USB-C. I could run midi from the TD-30 thru the clarett as it has a midi in, but I’ve never experienced enough latency to consider messing with my setup.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the scarlett line and would absolutely recommend anything from focusrite so you’re definitely on a solid track there.

As mentioned, sometimes the easiest setups are in fact the best performing as well... And simplicity certainly aides in troubleshooting.
                            Last edited by rdubu; 10-08-19, 10:33 PM.
                            Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

"I use a focusrite clarett 4pre USB-C and get about ~2ms of latency for output."

Which is the latency (whole chain = input + output + drum modul), certainly not 2ms....probably more arounds 10ms which is annoying, so certainly not recommended....

"As mentioned, sometimes the easiest setups are in fact the best performing as well... And simplicity certainly aides in troubleshooting."

Äh, but this is midi cable + pci interface (with midi! input) and some thunderbolt interfaces (with midi input) (not UAD), which gives lowest latency since 14 years....usb never performed this fast.
                              Fastest Drum Modul with dual zone TD 30 (around 3ms), Td12 is around 1ms slower, some drum moduls fail and have more than 10ms latency.
                              Last edited by Ribot; 10-11-19, 01:30 PM.
                              New system: I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, Old system (same! latency with RME AIO and 44,1khz), TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD2, RME AIO, Asus P5B using XP, UAD Quad, Platinum Samples: Jim Scott, Baressi, Andy Johns, Taiko, Gretsch Kit, Henry Hirsch, 8bit Kit, Percussion, XLF, Modern Drummer Snares, Deluxe, Yamaha Oak, Absolute, BFD Snares, Battery, Cubase, Bias

Comment

Working...
                              X