Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decades SDX

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
    I installed it yesterday, and while the cymbals, Snares and the Quality of the Recording makes every other brand look like Rookies, the Drums are just not my style. Can`t find any Presets I really want to Play.
    Totally on me, but I bought the wrong product.

    Before I got the Death SDX I hadn't found any presets on other SDX's that I would like to play out of the box. I always had to change the mix at least a little bit. Maybe that's the case for Decades too?

    Comment


    • #92
      Reading the SD3 posts all over the place. That led me down the youtube rabbit hole and I stumbled into this one I thought you all might enjoy. No idea what module he's using but his pads are old and beat up pretty good. lol. Decades sounds amazing to my ears.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-3avAc_gs
      Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
      Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Roving Drummer View Post
        Reading the SD3 posts all over the place. That led me down the youtube rabbit hole and I stumbled into this one I thought you all might enjoy. No idea what module he's using but his pads are old and beat up pretty good. lol. Decades sounds amazing to my ears.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-3avAc_gs
        Holy cow, that tom angle.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Excessium View Post

          Holy cow, that tom angle.
          lol.. I was thinking the same thing. Also, those old pads and beat up cymbals are a testament to how well Roland's equipment holds up over time. They can take a beating but keep on ticking!
          Last edited by Chance27; 02-13-20, 12:55 PM.
          ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

          Comment


          • #95
            Wow even over my iphone 10xr that YouTube video sounds fantastic.

            have to now buy decades....

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
              I installed it yesterday, and while the cymbals, Snares and the Quality of the Recording makes every other brand look like Rookies, the Drums are just not my style. Can`t find any Presets I really want to Play.
              Totally on me, but I bought the wrong product.

              If there are cymbals and snares that you like, you should just add those sounds to other sets outside of 'Decades' and save it all as a new set.

              I like some of the presets, but I really like that it has a decent amount of single instruments.
              I'm not too crazy about the toms.. but then I guess they would've called it 'Toms' - ha. I feel they put them in because that kind of had to.

              Comment


              • #97
                Would someone be kind enough to post which cymbals are included in this library? I couldn't find anything on the product page.
                One of toontrack's videos mentioned a few but it wasn't a full list.
                A screenshot of the list would suffice.

                Comment


                • #98
                  They are in product page:
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Ah, I normally Ctrl-F through the SDX's to find the kit details but Decade's page is huge so I missed the "see full instrument" expand button. Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                      Before I got the Death SDX I hadn't found any presets on other SDX's that I would like to play out of the box. I always had to change the mix at least a little bit. Maybe that's the case for Decades too?
                      Good call. A Little EQ and Compression goes a Long way.

                      I can now understand the Benefits of Decades: Warm, classic Sounds, very Raw. You can Always add Punch, compress, shorten the Decay, Maybe do a Stack. But it`s hard to go the other way.

                      A2E: PDP M5 Cherry Red, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland /ddt Triggersamaha Cymbals:PCY135, PCY155 Roland FD-9. TD17 and Audiofron eDrumIn Module. Triggering AD2, SD3 and SSD5.

                      Comment


                      • Nice, I hope you can enjoy Decades now. I'm thinking of getting it and I can get it for half the price but I'm wondering if it's just not the right pack for me right now. I play mostly rock and metal but I'd like to delve a bit more into Jazz and funk, which this SDX should theoretically help with. However, I often hear a preset and go "wow this sounds great" (I'm getting this vibe from the Rock & Fusion kit) and then when I play it it's somehow not nearly as fun as I expected it to be.
                        It tends to happen more with dry kits and in part it probably has to do with my level (low-intermediate I'd say). I just can't play fast enough to fill in space, so I always rely on a bit of reverb to back me up if I'm improvising without a backing track. If I just start over-mixing it on the other hand, it will lose its value so what's the point. I wish there was a "try it out for 1 hour" thing but I understand the technical limitations.

                        Comment


                        • It is perfect, the Gegerle Istanbul Jazz cymbals are so great, instantly Nefertiti of Miles Davis, I have to buy a 21 ride from them, was never content by other cymbal makers in this regard, very deep, dark and lush and complex.
                          If you are into Stanton Moore (Meters influenced New Orleans funk) choose the Gretsch Aluminium snare of the stock superior 3.0 sounds (I like the Bfd Peter Erskine Snare even more, quite similar, fatter better pitch and ring) and 18 or 20 Bass drums from both packs, he has a b quite dry and short bass drum. All Hi hats are great, if you want treble without eq get the wire snare mic up a bit.

                          it is important to switch the bow tip articulations on, when trying every cymbal, even crash cymbals (some Paiste) are very cool to ride on, not sure why they are switched off.

                          As mentioned before the dry funk sounds of the 70s “George Duke) are really cool with the swirl Ludwig.

                          Imho they only butchered the 4*12 Ludwig downbeat (which I own) snare, tuned way too deep, no ring, no treble, no snare wires, ****ty rimshot and crack, it is a perfect funk snare:
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=3&...&v=W9GVF2AqZO4

                          As jazz snare I prefer the big slingerland in decades way more.

                          In terms of funk snare sound, superior always features the holy grail of Ludwig snares the old 5*14 CoB (chrome over brass) pre serial, which is better and fatter than post 70s Ludwig Black Beauty models due to another manufacturing process, welded shell and thicker materials.
                          Unfortunately they are always dull and tamed and are worse than the sampled black beauty models, which is not my experience.
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iKfu3ceA4HM
                          Last edited by Ribot; 02-18-20, 04:51 AM.
                          Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22“, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                            Nice, I hope you can enjoy Decades now. I'm thinking of getting it and I can get it for half the price but I'm wondering if it's just not the right pack for me right now. I play mostly rock and metal but I'd like to delve a bit more into Jazz and funk, which this SDX should theoretically help with. However, I often hear a preset and go "wow this sounds great" (I'm getting this vibe from the Rock & Fusion kit) and then when I play it it's somehow not nearly as fun as I expected it to be.
                            It tends to happen more with dry kits and in part it probably has to do with my level (low-intermediate I'd say). I just can't play fast enough to fill in space, so I always rely on a bit of reverb to back me up if I'm improvising without a backing track. If I just start over-mixing it on the other hand, it will lose its value so what's the point. I wish there was a "try it out for 1 hour" thing but I understand the technical limitations.
                            no need to play fast or to fill up all the space. listen to count basie and miles davis. u can apply this to drums - just lay down a solid floor and splash a little colour here and there. less can be much more (tho fast and busy can be fine too if that’s what u like)
                            E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

                            Comment


                            • I ended up getting the sdx. Thankfully the Rock & Fusion spring preset works fine out of the box for me. Very enjoyable kit.
                              I don't fully understand the praises for the recorded cymbal samples, though. They don't necessarily sound better than the ones in the core library (if you ignore how damn quiet the latter ones were ). I still had to do my usual OH mixing to make them sound clearer to my ears. I prefer how the cymbals in the Death SDX sound but I guess that's subjective.
                              I do enjoy the kits overall though, especially the dampened ones. Should be fun getting into them.

                              Comment


                              • IMHO The cymbals are much more complex, Paiste 602 (more complex) vs Paiste 2002, Gegerle Istanbul (more complex) vs trad Istanbul, The Zildjian Avedis Stamp are pingy and quite raw and quirky, I like that


                                Played only a day with it, my favourite snare so far for it.....

                                I am very much into spizzichino cymbals (only you tube) , the Spizz that Superior 3.0 stock library offers is only a dark crash... :-(
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Q5fVA74jE
                                killer sound

                                Originally posted by jackodrum View Post

                                no need to play fast or to fill up all the space. listen to count basie and miles davis. u can apply this to drums - just lay down a solid floor and splash a little colour here and there. less can be much more (tho fast and busy can be fine too if that’s what u like)
                                I played this with decades, slow, the Gegerle Istanbul Cymbals/ridde takes all the space, killer jazz sound!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Ribot; 02-21-20, 03:43 PM.
                                Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22“, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X