Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior drummer 3 : USB or audio cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior drummer 3 : USB or audio cards?

In the last few days I started to try superior drummer 3 with my td17 kvx and it is great. I am connecting the module to my computer with the native USB connection. The results reported are very good because I am having a very good latency of about 5ms. I am not able to listen to any delay. I am using superior in the standalone version running on an I7 workstation with windows 10 and 32 GB of Ram.
    Now the question. Can I stay with this configuration or I can improve it by using the midi out of the td17 and use it with an audio interface (like a zoom) to do the midi to USB conversion? Will the latency decrease (considering that the audio card still connects to the computer by USB)?
    Thanks

it Sounds pretty good so I probably wouldn’t bother as you won’t get much more if any. Even if you get an external audio interface you can still use usb from the td17 for midi. It all depends on what else you may want to do. If you ever intend to record vocals or guitar then you will need an audio interface.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Comment

You can try running it that way, but as MKOK suggested; if it ain’t broke, maybe it doesn’t need fixing...

Just for reference, I see ~1.9ms of latency on my rig, but that’s running a USB type C connection for audio out on a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre. I run midi over the native USB connection from my TD-30 direct to the PC and although I haven’t tried porting it through my audio interface, I doubt there would be much improvement if any. Most of your latency is in the audio playback side of things rather than midi translation.

IF you were to break down and get a midi card for your PC, there would be a case to run midi direct to the PC as that would alleviate any USB translation in the connection. But because in your case (and mine) it’s all essentially chaining to your PC via USB anyway, so I wouldn’t think you’d see an improvement either way.

Back to what MKOK said, ~5ms of latency is pretty damn good so I probably wouldn’t bother messing with anything.
        Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Thanks for your reply too

Comment

Hi, you might want to know that each midi input or output adds about 2ms of latency that is not integrated in the latency shown by your daw.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post
              Hi, you might want to know that each midi input or output adds about 2ms of latency that is not integrated in the latency shown by your daw.
              Thanks, does this mean that it is better if I stay with my actual configuration (td17 USB. To the workstation)?

Comment

Yes, stay with the USB port of your td17.

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X