Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to buy Superior Drummer 3

Hi all

I'm going to invest in SD3, but not sure how to buy it. Or what it is I'm actually buying!

It seems to be a download only product, so I assume I have to pay and then download it from Toontrack's website. Is that right?

Also, I'm not sure whether I should get the SSD external hard drive version.

The idea is to use it as a VST in Reaper, triggered by an older TD12 (around 10 years old, mesh pads, VH 11 hats), and also program using it either in the VST or as a standalone.

Any thoughts V welcome (geddit?).

Cheers.
    Last edited by progsmacker; 07-25-19, 06:34 AM.

Yes it's a download product. You install the Toontrack product manager and it handles downloading and authorization. If you have enough space I wouldn't bother buying the preinstalled SSD (Waste of money IMO).

There was a member selling his copy here - you might want to look through the classifieds and see if he still has it.

Otherwise, Thomann and Best Service have better prices than Toontrack direct.
    ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Also make sure you have a good audio interface.
      ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

I'll echo Molson a bit here, but recommend purchasing your own external drive (either traditional hard drive or SSD) to save some money rather than through ToonTrack, which is placing a heavy premium on that option.

Having a dedicated external drive is useful as you can place just your VST library on it or place your VST library and other music projects (i.e. drumless tracks, recording projects, practice loops, etc.). These devices are extremely easy to mange and act as redundant back-ups and equate to less of a worry when you replace a computer/laptop. I own a half-dozen large external drives and have assemble them myself with component parts to save even more money. I buy quality components and have yet to have a drive failure and am comforted knowing I've got redundant copies of this critically important data.

I've got a lot of these enclosures (I like the fans on the enclosures for cooling as I have several high-speed traditional hard drives in service):
        https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681718...-247-_-Product

...But the newer versions have more features.
        https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681718...-316-_-Product

Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Agree with just about everything stated here... Make sure your computer has at least 8GB of RAM, run the libraries on a fast drive - SSD preferred / RAID stack, and buy it from Thomann for a better price...
          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Any downsides to ordering via the two vendors mentioned who sell at a discount - like harder to upgrade down the road?

Thx!

Comment

Nope. No issues. Thomann provides a serial number that you plug into the Toontrack product manager app. At that point it’s registered to you and you can use it just like purchasing from Toontrack directly.
              Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

i bought sd2 on disk, got a free sdx with purchase online from toontrack, bought sd3 online from thomann, and have bought sdxs online from thomann and pluginboutique, and an edx on disc. no problems with installing / using any of them, nor with upgrading from sd2 to sd3, nor updating the software
                Last edited by jackodrum; 05-05-20, 11:07 PM.
                Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

I got it used on eBay. Got SD3, ezd2, sd2 core library, ny vol 3 expansion and two ezx’s for $350. You can definitely save money by going this route. I got all licenses transferred to me so easy. Of course I’ve added two sdx’s since. Sooooo worth it.
                  Last edited by Aka Wayne; 05-10-20, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Lucky for you, if you get this quick, someone just listed their SD3 license 30 min ago on Toontrack’s forum for 250. Quote the steal. It’s in the pub sub forum. Get it dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Aka Wayne View Post
                      Lucky for you, if you get this quick, someone just listed their SD3 license 30 min ago on Toontrack’s forum for 250. Quote the steal. It’s in the pub sub forum. Get it dude!
                      Decent deal, especially considering the price went up a bit more than 10% recently (369€ up from 329€)

Comment

Working...
                      X