No announcement yet.

Next step modeling software ? ..who knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely intrigued... But itís a given that I would want to see it applied with some kind of midi interface - IE edrum triggering. I think the sample audio posted on their website is decent enough at first listen, but I would certainly want to peel it back and see just how much their modeling engine can tune the final result given theyíve thrown pretty much every possible combination into their bag of tricks.

Coming from SD3, itís hard to imagine that a synthesis engine could top a true capture of actual drums and cymbals. But hey, Iím game to at least see what it can do when it hits the street.
    Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Tama HW & Pedals | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor, V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

new (propaganda) clip.. ..imagine this with superior samples..
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
        new (propaganda) clip.. ..imagine this with superior samples..
        Thanks for that. I like the sound of these single hits better than I liked the fully mixed and processed kits in the first video demo, but on the whole, my impression is that this sounds like the TD50 in some alternate reality where Roland tried to marry VST realism with their proprietary modeling system. That is to say that it's pretty cool and sounds good overall, but still rings a bit synthetic to my ear.

But I was intrigued enough to do some additional searching, and I found an interesting post by one of the developers on Gearslutz in response to a question about edrum compatibility:

"Yes, you will be able to trigger with e-drum kits easily. Also note that there are great articulations etc for hi-hat and x/y beater placement on e-drum brains that support that feature (and mapped outside of the GM mapping for use otherwise).

We will have the following articulations for the three available hi-hats:

Tight Tip

Close Tip
        Half Open Tip
        Open Tip

Close Shank
        Half Open Shank
        Open Shank

Foot Open
        Foot Close

We will also feature continuous Hi-Hat Aperture control via a specific key and a selectable CC will regulate the Aperture.

Plus, there be a shell beating position controllable via selectable MIDI CC for snare and toms."

So, assuming I'm reading correctly, looks like positional sensing capabilities. Interesting stuff. Link to the full thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...nstrument.html
        Meet The Stewards!
        https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
        https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
        https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

I just tried to preorder it but it adds 51Ä VAT, so in the end you pay 351Ä, pretty steep...

Comment

A new e-drum video:

Comment

Hi-hat seems pretty smooth from tight to open..

Comment

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not really. Not yet.

Comment

hm.. listening on better speakers.. the positional sensing does sound like an EQ sweep.. and head attack should increase with velocity..
                  (maybe wait for a video with a drumsolo)

Comment

Agreed on the EQ sweep, it's a simplistic interpretation and I would've expected more dimensions of change; e.g. overtones.

It's entirely possible that MODODRUM will improve as they develop the software - but in comparison to Roland's black arts and the algorithm mastery on the TD-50 - it's a lot to catch up to in a short space of time! It's better than nothing, being fair, but the modelled drums marketing needs to hold up to scrutiny.

I'm not taking anything from the hi-hat test, till I play it. I can make all VSTs look like they perform like a dream under controlled movements, but in reality, only Toontrack holds the VST hi-hat crown.
                    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                    Community Drum Module Document
                    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

No maps provided yet, have fun mapping your monster kit...
                      "From IK Forum:

Just got this today, but there is no custom key mapping in the plug-in, only cc mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing. I will have to tweak my TD-30 drum map in Cubase. The hi-hat center zone works with the standard map, but not the edge zone. The foot control aperture response feels pretty good to me. The snare and tom pad position works well, though i wouldn't say there is as much of a low dynamic contrast as in the internal TD-30 engine. The rim shot aspect of the pad positioning works better, and the rim click behavior maps fine. Some of the low tom rims are mapped to other random keys. Cymbal choking doesn't seem to work. In the TD-30, this is done with poly aftertouch. In ModoDrum, there are choke keys set up to mute specific cymbals. I'm not sure you could ever integrate those two systems. Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it."

Comment

No native mapping = conversion latency = sh!tty experience for live drumming... Iíll pass
                        Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Tama HW & Pedals | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor, V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Someone write a review from another forum:

I purchased and spent some time with the software..here is a very brief review..

Cymbals..customizable..minimal variety,limited to single zone with choke except for the Ride dual/zone with choke.

MIDI:
                          Non existent..you have one option and that is for MIDI Device.
                          NO MIDI editor.
                          FIXED GM MIDI Mapping..
                          NO Tom Rim (mapping is for left and right hand)
                          NO Cymbal Edge (only choke note)

NO custom key mapping.(You'll have to change the midi assignment in the module),only CC mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing..."aperture continuous control"

Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it.
                          Also note the modeling engine requires Minimal: Intelģ Coreô i5 with support for AVX.
                          I have installed on multiple high end tablets/MS Surface (running SD3 , EZD etc embedded and have no issues) with i5, 8-16GB ram..AVX,AVX2 support.MODO DRUM does not run well.They all ran at less than 20% CPU and RAM..but MODO stuttered/throttled and issues with scaling as UI stayed at minimal and I couldn't get to maximize(full screen)I believe they need to change the requirements to note that there is a difference between the Laptop/tablet i5 (Dual Core - 2 cores,4 threads) and the desktop i5 (Quad core-4 cores,8 threads)

If you are looking to use this software for more advanced Drum Modules with multiple zone cymbals I can't recommend it at it's current price/features it's more for the Studio/keyboard or entry to intermediate modules.

Comment

yeah.. doesn't sound good.. the 'stuttering' ..maybe force processor cores to '2' cores inside reaper, sometimes software has a problem with task
                            distribution between cores.. then 2 cores actually runs better than 4 (or more).. ..it looked cool but needs more development work, i guess ..

Comment

here is a good demo of the midi functionality:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCRV7TUwO4

Comment

Working...
                              X